• 80 Replies

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2014, 05:15:57 am »
Assuming genetics even work the same in Earwa, how would the Dunyain have any idea as to the minimum viable population required and details of genetic diversity related to heritage?
Further, seeing as they went to Ishual during the years of the crib, future generations would have seemed unlikely.  ;)

Anyway I think its a moot point, a quick google search reveals a study at http://www.livescience.com/history/050525_america_settlers.html which suggests that North America may have been settled by only 70 people, not an unreasonable estimate of the original dunyain numbers. 

It's situations like those that naturally create taboos and breeding patterns.  As long as the population has enough mating pairs to avoid regular inbreeding they should be fine.

Low ebb populations tend to drive evolution; starting from a small group of people like that could simply result in dominant inheritances - what we think of as racial characteristics (red hair, dark skin, whatever). Seeing as the dunyain were also actively weeding out dysfunctionals, the potential for rapid evolutionary change is only improved. 

Ishual seems pretty big and we have no idea what their population levels were like as the series begins.  I would imagine they would have numbered in the hundreds at least.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:00:27 am by Cüréthañ »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »
For my money, I would have to say it has something to do with the Anasurimbor bloodline. That family is obviously important for some reason, and its possible that it influences reproduction (strong seed forces the womb, Yatwer, world conspires, etc.)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2014, 03:45:21 pm »
Assuming genetics even work the same in Earwa, how would the Dunyain have any idea as to the minimum viable population required and details of genetic diversity related to heritage?
Further, seeing as they went to Ishual during the years of the crib, future generations would have seemed unlikely.  ;)

Anyway I think its a moot point, a quick google search reveals a study at http://www.livescience.com/history/050525_america_settlers.html which suggests that North America may have been settled by only 70 people, not an unreasonable estimate of the original dunyain numbers. 

It's situations like those that naturally create taboos and breeding patterns.  As long as the population has enough mating pairs to avoid regular inbreeding they should be fine.

Low ebb populations tend to drive evolution; starting from a small group of people like that could simply result in dominant inheritances - what we think of as racial characteristics (red hair, dark skin, whatever). Seeing as the dunyain were also actively weeding out dysfunctionals, the potential for rapid evolutionary change is only improved. 

Ishual seems pretty big and we have no idea what their population levels were like as the series begins.  I would imagine they would have numbered in the hundreds at least.

I've brought this subject up before here:
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=993.0

But your evidence suggested the group of Dunyain settlers wouldn't need to be particularly diverse. We might perhaps be a bit off topic here, but that link is a good place to continue ;).
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2014, 04:18:57 am »
But how does Kellhus look like his ancestor from 2,000 years ago?

Maybe he doesn't!  Perhaps Seswatha behind the scenes is manipulating Akka's mind to make him think that Kellhus looks like Anasurimbors of yore!

I don't buy that bit about the original Dunyain burning the sorcerers' books.  They've been teleporting for ages to improve their breeding stock.

Francis Buck

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2014, 08:43:04 pm »
But how does Kellhus look like his ancestor from 2,000 years ago?

Maybe he doesn't!  Perhaps Seswatha behind the scenes is manipulating Akka's mind to make him think that Kellhus looks like Anasurimbors of yore!

I don't buy that bit about the original Dunyain burning the sorcerers' books.  They've been teleporting for ages to improve their breeding stock.

For what it's worth, Mekeritrig sees the resemblance as well.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)