• 167 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
Yes and I assume the ark was largely hollow compared to an asteroid. But the fact remains that even if it wasn't an ELE, it would still throw up huge amounts of dust and darken the continent for some time, we should have some record of that somewhere.

Remember when that volcano in iceland went off and grounded all the flights in europe for several days? I would guess something that big essentially exploding into the landscape would have a much greater impact effect.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:17:19 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »
Much agreement.
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2014, 06:52:04 pm »
Quote from: Cuno-Inchoroi Wars, TTT Glossary
According to the Isûphiryas, the Incû-Holoinas, the “Ark-of-the-Skies”, plunged to earth to the west of the Sea of Neleöst in land ruled by Nin’janjin, the Nonman King of Viri. The letter sent by Nin’janin to Cû’jara-Cinmoi, the King of Siöl, is recorded as follows:

The Sky has cracked into potter’s shards,
    Fire sweeps the compass of Heaven,
    The beasts flee, their hearts maddened,
    The trees fall, their backs broken.
    Ash has shrouded all sun, choked all seed,
    The Halaroi howl piteously at the Gates,
    Dread Famine stalks my Mansion.
    Brother Siöl, Viri begs your pardon.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2014, 07:06:06 pm »
There we go, a cloud of ash. Only indication for how long it lasted "choked all seed", which isn't much help. Maybe one spring/growing-season, though that could refer to the fact that when the ash settled all the seeds died.
At any rate, there was a plume of some kind, good enough for me :)

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2014, 09:20:34 pm »
Fuel for fire:

Quote from: TTT, p366
Once he'd even had occasion to speak at length with Nil-Giccas, who had battled through the halls of this place thousands of years before. But nothing could prepare Seswatha for the horrid immensity of the Incu-Holoinas. According to the Nonman King, not one in a hundred Inchoroi survived the Ark's fall from the heavens, and yet a thousand thousand of them had warred against the Nonmen over the course of their innumerable wars.

My bold.

Some clue is hidden in there, isn't it? The Thousand Thousand Halls are Inchoroi graves? If not, what did the Nonmen do with the bodies of those thousand thousand Inchoroi they killed in the Cuno-Inchoroi wars?

(click to show/hide)

Who's the First Father? The inventor of sorcery?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:29 pm »
Lol, I think stylistically Bakker simply uses that repetition a lot ;). But read into how you like.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:16 pm »
Lol, I think stylistically Bakker simply uses that repetition a lot ;). But read into how you like.

Trying to backtrack after giving it away? :P

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2014, 09:35:09 pm »
Lol - sure? But wouldn't conceding you the truth of your wrong conclusion fuel your certainty and my mirth?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2014, 01:25:59 am »
Well he couldn't use "thousandfold" and he already used "million" (a thousand thousand is 1 million). It sounds all mystic-y and old when its described that way.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2014, 02:07:24 am »
Some clue is hidden in there, isn't it? The Thousand Thousand Halls are Inchoroi graves? If not, what did the Nonmen do with the bodies of those thousand thousand Inchoroi they killed in the Cuno-Inchoroi wars?
Well, someone built the Thousand Thousand Halls, presumably for a reason.  Both the Cunuroi and Incoroi are burrowers, Halaroi aren't.  Doesn't seem like something the Dunyain would do either, although they do serve some purpose in their training.

Perhaps a creator/progenitor myth?
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Francis Buck

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2014, 08:16:03 pm »
[/quote]

That's what I assumed when I read that. I've always thought it was very suspicious that there are virtually no creation myths whatsoever, especially within the Inrithi faith or even the Fanim. I really hope it's not another case where, like, at some point in TUC Achamian suddenly remembers "the creation myth of the First Father" and explains as if it's common knowledge that everyone in the religion already knew about and it has just been withheld from the audience until now, but I don't think that will happen.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2014, 07:53:13 pm »
I've always thought it was very suspicious that there are virtually no creation myths whatsoever, especially within the Inrithi faith or even the Fanim.
Considering the "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff" about godlings' existence out of time, splintering of a solitary god and no-god creation (just imagine, people living inside time have fabricated something that can literaly stop creatures living outside time)... So, considering all these circumstances, creation might have been cancelled by PhD's of Golgotterath or, from a certain point of view, have never happened at all.

PS Yep, sometimes I`m a slave to an idea what the whole bakkerverse is a dying body of a collapsing time loop. That's my second favoutire, lol.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:56:48 pm by Simas Polchias »

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:18 pm »

That's what I assumed when I read that. I've always thought it was very suspicious that there are virtually no creation myths whatsoever, especially within the Inrithi faith or even the Fanim.

I think that is a reflection of Bakker's worldbuilding process, and specifically the fact that he did not seriously flesh out Inrithism and it's theology (to whatever extent he has done that at all) until well into his writing of TWP. If you recall Inrau's unfortunate meeting with Not!Sarcellus and the Rape Pigeon, there was a brief exchange in which Inrau asks Auranx why he does what he does, and Auranx laughs and replies "You worship suffering."  This enrages Inrau because "it didn't understand!", but it is never expanded upon later and we still know next to nothing about Inrithism.  I think that Bakker originally intended Inri Sejenus to be a much more exact Christ-analog than he has turned out to be, complete with some sort of atoning vicarious death, hence the "suffering" Auranx mentioned, but that Bakker dropped that idea when drafting TWP in order to improve Kellhus' plot arc with the Circumfixion (you'll note that there is no comparable torment in the life of Sejenus that we know of, although he does get a trial before evil King Shikol, presumably an expy of Pilate). If I am right, this would also explain why Auranx's comment angers Inrau so: the Inchoroi's artificially deadened emotions prevent him from recognizing the difference between bearing suffering to save others and his own psychopathic sadism. 

If all of that is on target, then it is possible that Earwa's version of the Biblical Adam is not discussed in the books because Bakker never worked on that aspect of things, just as he hardly worked on Inrithism's central figure beyond the necessary points needed to serve the narrative purposes of TSA.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2014, 10:24:04 pm »
Lordy Ashtinahgma!  But this is too cool!

Mimara 'let's go, old man, we have bones to inspect' later they find Inchoroi bones

Yatwer shows up and reanimates Sil's corpse like she did with the sranc to Sorweel.  Sil gives Akka the Heron Spear

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 02, 2014, 05:53:15 am »
The inchoroi crashed. Just like the non men before them and the humans after them crashed.  All advanced races eventually try to seek and find earwa once they realize damnation is real.  earwa is heaven, and it's denizens war for supremacy of heaven whenever a new race crashes the gates of heaven and creates a new impact crater on earwa.

All typ0s courtesy of Samsung.