Dune (Frank Herbert) and TSA (Bakker)

• 130 Replies

Francis Buck

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2013, 10:14:03 pm »
Oh, well duh. I skipped God-Emperor. I thought Heretics came next. Lol that might change things a bit. Glad I came on here (and that I'm not far into Heretics).

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

Don't feel too bad, I read Chapterhouse before I realized that Heretics was its prequel. Makes a lot more sense if you read them in order.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 02:25:54 am »
Yeah, it seemed odd to me that Leto's reign was completely skipped over, considering he had barely become emperor by the time Children ended.

Still, I would have liked to see stuff about Ghanima, Stilgar, etc. Farad'n also seemed to be developing into an interesting character. Though the sheer ambition of the series is quite remarkable.

Francis Buck

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 04:44:51 am »
Lol, why in god's name are the Bene Gesserit in the Dune miniseries wearing giant cowboy hats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mohiam%2BBeneGesserit-2000.jpg

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 07:18:44 am »
haha,you should stay away from the movie adaptations on this series.The David Lynch movie from the eightees does
have a certain charm,but the miniseries that came later on was a disaster

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 02:07:49 pm »
I really hope you are all interested in smackdown of speculation and ridiculous parallels for this thread. I've just unpacked all my books again for basically the first time all summer and every time I saw a Dune book, I thought of this thread and a hundred more things Wilhire, I, and anyone else could be arguing about.

Hurry le frek up, FB.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2013, 04:59:47 pm »
Yeah I've heard that the Dune movies were some of the worst Sci-Fi's ever done.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2013, 05:46:56 pm »
I seriously don`t see the point in screening this series.There is so much going on that can`t be described through television.The miniseries was so horrible my eyes bled.I am very biased though,since I don`t watch movies or TV anymore.
Thumbs up for reading,thumbs down for light and colour shooting through your eyeballs,feeding you with images,hypnoticing and dazing you like valium:)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2013, 02:07:35 am »
I can't contain this one - FB, earmuffs:

(click to show/hide)
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2013, 02:35:39 am »
I can't contain this one - FB, earmuffs:

(click to show/hide)

I'll allow it :P

Francis Buck

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 05:17:12 pm »
Aight, finished God Emporer last night. I really liked that one actually, definitely more than Children, perhaps a little more than Messiah. Leto and the Empire he created were both pretty damn fascinating. The whole biology of him becoming a worm was great. All of the characters were really interesting as well. This was probably the first one of the novels where I really enjoyed Duncan Idaho too. It's funny that he was basically a random side-character in the first book that died, only for him to become the only consistent character throughout the series. I'm about 15% into Heretics (according to my Kindle) and it seems to be going pretty quick, hoping to be done the series by the end of the weekend.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:42:13 pm by Francis Buck »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2013, 05:25:36 pm »
Good, good. Then you can spend some time reading our conversation here, and then we can start the whole thing anew :P.

Francis Buck

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 12:46:33 am »
Got a question, but I'm afraid to go on the Dune wiki because I've already accidentally spoiled myself twice looking up seemingly innocuous topics.

How far ahead does Heretics take place? At first I was under the impression that it was only like 2,500 years after God Emperor, but then one of the chapter-header-quote things said something about it being the 10,000 year anniversary of the Tyrant's fall or some such (not sure if it was exactly that, but it was definitely the 10,000 year anniversary of...something in regards to Leto II)?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:28:04 am by Francis Buck »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 03:44:07 am »
1500 years after the fall of Leto II

Francis Buck

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2013, 12:07:35 am »
Thanks, that makes more sense. Now I'm curious about that "10,000 year" quote though. I'll try to find it after finishing the book. Perhaps it's supposed to be a quote from the future?

I find the lack of aliens in this series (well, intelligent aliens) interesting. Just off the top of my head, I feel that this stems from the series really being an examination of humanity from an incredibly broad perspective, based on the massive scale of the series. It's funny though, because the introduction of an alien species in such a work could both jeopardize the focus on the "human universe", and yet also shed new light upon it given the right approach. The lack of non-human civilizations, however, also creates a certain lonely atmosphere to the series that's very effective, in that it pushes humanity to face the universe as this indomitable force. It's infinite, merciless, and utterly indifferent, and yet the civilizations seem to be continually finding ways to bind it to their will, yet still always finding the complexity and randomness to subvert them. No matter how great they become (Leto being the prime example at this point), they're never a match for the adversity of existence.

ETA: To sum it up, the series almost feels like the ultimate Man vs Nature.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:46:22 am by Francis Buck »