What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 03:06:55 pm »
Quote from: Truth Shines
Quote from: Ajokli
Easily 10/10 Movie of the Century. I'm currently on standby awaiting offers.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Is there a "Post of the Year" award on this forum?  I nominate Ajokli's reply!  Kellhus, Cnauir, Conphas -- all inspired choices!  And George Costanza as Achamian?  Absolute genius!

But seriously, I don't think this can ever be turned into film, or at least turned into a good film.  Just as some men are said to be "man's man," this is a "book's book."  Too much reflection, too much intellect, too much introspection.  Not to mention the gargantuan worldbuilding -- just look at all those whining 8th graders who complain this book is too difficult to get into on some internet review sites.

But of course I have my 8th grader moments too.  Like that "scene" in WLW where the Swayal floats above the darkened field, blooming as flowers in their yellow robes, illuminating the world with eerie sorcerous light, with endless masses of seething Srancs howling and surging toward the Great Ordeal...  I remember whooping and shouting with excitement when reading it!  Oh man what I wouldn't give to see that on the screen!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:03 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Just a couple thoughts. Fassbender is an inspired choice for Kellhus. However, I would put Pitt over Fassbender currently for two reasons.

Firstly, Pitt could probably get away with acting just about any age between late twenties to early old age at this point physically. Not to mention, his Benjamin Button experiences with CGI but specifically programming that CGI: "For this pupose, Pitt's facial motions were digitally analyzed as he performed a large set of standardized dynamic expressions. 'Brad spend six months practicing about two-hundred facial expressions - learning to control his face in very precise ways,' [Steve] Preeg [of Digital Domain] recalls" (p184, See What I'm Saying. Preeg was the supervisor for the team doing the work on the Benjamin Button movie.

Fassbender is an inspired pick but until he does this, Pitt's my pick lol.

Oldman is a wicked pick for Achamian. He'd probably even age suitably if they ever made TAE trilogy as well.

I haven't figured out tags and such, thus far Truth Shines but this forum is severely limited. Jeff Daniels and Jason Alexander were classic and Giger-Consult is AWESOME! Bakker and Giger would probably destroy my mind. Auriga has the award in my mind for 2012, if not purely for comedy - until Auriga is beaten, of course. If I can figure out the tags or changing titles after a certain number of posts or something, I will.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:12 pm »
Quote from: sologdin
pitt was my first thought, too.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:19 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
Quote from: Auriga
Much of the Consult stuff is rather Giger-ish if you try to visualize it. The surreal combo of the bio-mechanical and the morbidly sexual is a HR Giger speciality. If anyone could design the Consult visuals and put them onscreen, it'd be him.
And that very much goes for the Inchoroi themselves. though pallid and translucent rather than gray-scale and shiny. Geiger's art would be able to incorporate vestigial organs pretty easily as well, which their original mouths seem to be. Hell, I just realized...like the xenomorph, the Inchoroi have heads in their mouths.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:26 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
And that very much goes for the Inchoroi themselves. though pallid and translucent rather than gray-scale and shiny.
Yeah, I was rather thinking of Golgotterath's design and so on, when I said that the bio-mechanical look is fitting. I tend to picture Golgotterath as dead organic material, so the artistic style of Giger is what came to mind. Think of the derelict spaceship in the first "Alien" movie (one of his best designs) for some visual help.

Geiger's art would be able to incorporate vestigial organs pretty easily as well, which their original mouths seem to be. Hell, I just realized...like the xenomorph, the Inchoroi have heads in their mouths.
Right, the Inchoroi are described as tall semi-aquatic creatures with two heads, and the smaller humanoid ones are inside "a set of crocodilian jaws" (as Bakker put it). I definitely got an Alien vibe from that part, even though the Inchoroi have whole heads inside their original mouths and not just extendable jaws. The description of the Inchoroi, with slimy translucent flesh and humanoid faces covered in a watery membrane, make me think of this:

Although the original heads of the Inchoroi should look like nothing human. IIRC, they rewrote their own genes to grow humanoid faces and cocks, after they came into contact with Nonmen.

It's also pretty interesting that Bakker is always using the metaphors of oysters and fish and other sea creatures, when describing Aurang's looks.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:34 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
I'd suspect a humanocentric universe even outside of Earwa. Particuarly given the damnation reach extends to other worlds.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:41 pm »
this is a "book's book."  Too much reflection, too much intellect, too much introspection.  Not to mention the gargantuan worldbuilding -- just look at all those whining 8th graders who complain this book is too difficult to get into on some internet review sites.

I wholeheartedly agree. I simply could not bear seeing it get the LOTR treatment. I used to love Jackson's films but for some reason I can't  even make it past the prologue anymore without cringing at the cheesiness.

and don't get me started with GoT

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:48 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
What do they mean it's too hard to get in to? Do they mean they can't understand everything instantly? I guess if it was an instruction booklet, I'd pay that as a valid critique.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 03:07:55 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Easily 10/10 Movie of the Century. I'm currently on standby awaiting offers.
this is a "book's book."  Too much reflection, too much intellect, too much introspection.  Not to mention the gargantuan worldbuilding -- just look at all those whining 8th graders who complain this book is too difficult to get into on some internet review sites. ...
Like that "scene" in WLW where the Swayal floats above the darkened field, blooming as flowers in their yellow robes, illuminating the world with eerie sorcerous light, with endless masses of seething Srancs howling and surging toward the Great Ordeal...  I remember whooping and shouting with excitement when reading it!  Oh man what I wouldn't give to see that on the screen!

I agree completely with both halves of your post. The first trillogy especially would make a bad movie. There is just too much information mission to placate a movie goer, not to mention that a huge portion of the book is character inner dialogue. Also I can't imagine a film being able to show the different POV's properly, for example when Kell/Swere/Cnaiur are all traveling together, the POV's reveal so many different things that simply would be lost in a movie.

Oh but what I wouldn't give to see the sranc hordes being burned to cyinders, or the cullings, or the library demoloshed, or akka breaking free of his prison, or his battle with the dianomos (sorry spelling). It would be majestic.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
It is absolutely imperative for a PoN movie to nail Kellhus, and make him (or at least attempt to) an iconic character the likes of Darth Vader and Hannibal Lector. No one is going to watch a trilogy about one person usurping an entire military campaign if the actor phones it in. The viewer needs to feel some measure of awe when he is on-screen; you can't have legions of characters swearing allegiance to Kellhus if he is another standard-fantasy-character-who-is-totally-smart-and-kickass #3134. If his act is totally transparent, then it becomes a movie about dude suckering a bunch of suckers in the continent of suckerdom. His presence needs to reach across the screen and affect viewers too.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:10 pm »
Yeah too bad Bakker is a mid list author with a relatively small cult following and barely makes enough money to write full time (last I heard at least). Making the acquisition of exceptional actors a realtivley small posiblity. But we are here to dream, not to be weighed down by facts, figures, and melancholy nay-sayers!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:17 pm »
A movie with the gritty aesthetic of GoT (think the village/town/army camp scenes, people milling about, dirt, mud, and horseshit everywhere; not everything is as glamorous as the Red Keep in Westeros), the grandiose set pieces of LotR when the plot gets rolling, and some really effective horror during Consult scenes backed by a uniquely chilling musical score, and you could have something really great. I think the sexual horror would be the biggest hurdle to jump, though. I don't expect "just took the gf to prince of nothing, it was awesome!!!!" lighting up facebook feeds anytime soon.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:24 pm »
I don't watch many horror films, but I'd imagine rape isnt the typical tactic for scaring. And I dunno if cutting holes into living people and fucking the newly made orifice would go over super well with general audiences. Sranc would be a big problem.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:31 pm »
They definitely wouldn't. I have to give Bakker props for incorporating so much sexual horror into his work without veering into the masturbatory, especially in a story that actually has something of substance to say. Everything about the Inchoroi/Consult is so utterly, utterly wrong that it's almost admirable how effective they are as antagonists. If they are ever done justice on the big screen, their scenes would have to thrive on implication. The Warrior-Prophet epilogue comes to mind.

A man can dream for a NC-17 PoN movie trilogy. A man can dream...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »
Yeah too bad Bakker is a mid list author with a relatively small cult following and barely makes enough money to write full time (last I heard at least). Making the acquisition of exceptional actors a realtivley small posiblity. But we are here to dream, not to be weighed down by facts, figures, and melancholy nay-sayers!
Much more feasible for an animated feature. Lots of very talented voice actors in a field that is chronically underpaid.