What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 04:44:22 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
WHAT DO YOU SEE!?

I'll do what I can. Take some notes, though I've never been much good at that. And yeah, im 100% prepared to have my mind blown. After all, im an engineer not a philosopher.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 04:44:32 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, I don't think you'll find either the lecture (if you go) or the reading to be overtly philosophy or psychology heavy. I was more referring to the Bakker's humility and down to earth nature - obviously, his ideas blow all our minds :D. He's simply a super cool, honest, forthright dude.

You don't need to take notes - though encouraged. Just... you know... tell us if Moenghus the Elder shows up in the reading, if more Gods show up, if Ishterebinth is controlled by... whomever... or EVERYTHING THAT IT SAYS o.O!

Super jelly right now, Wilshire. Wish I was down south for the aft :(.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »
Should I start a new thread or lay it out here?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 04:44:47 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Misc. Chatter anything goes, sonny son... lay it on us :D. You lucky bastard, you.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 04:44:58 pm »
Quote from: Truth Shines
for the unbeliever!
http://www.wlu.ca/documents/31313/EN238_Weldon.pdf

James Weldon is the Prof. Seems like a rather friendly fellow.

Awesome!

I read two of the four (Bakker, obviously, and of course Tolkien).  I've heard about the other two but not read them.  Will start now to keep up with the cool kids.  ;)

One interesting addition (of course I'm sure everyone has their own) could be Jack Vance.  His Dying Earth tales are roughly contemporaneous with LOTR, and can also be classified as fantasy.  It's definitely a very different "take" on what fantasy could be.  The somewhat later Cugel stories (Eyes of the Overworld and Cugel's Saga) are some of my favorites -- picaresque comedy fantasy?  Some hilarious mental getaways for those occasions when all those srancs get a bit too heavy for me.