Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:59 am »
Actually, I think there's something deeper going on, when I say I'm having trouble finding a novel I really enjoy. I think either I've read too much or more likely the internet has changed my reading habits and maybe even my attention span. Even more likely, I think my taste has become so narrow that I'm maybe the only one who can write what I want to see written. I'm sure this is based on my ignorance, though, since there must be books out there that cater to even the most specific tastes. But how to find them?

I think the problem is also that writers may have a harder time enjoying the process of reading, just as film directors may have a harder time watching movies, because such creators are too aware of what goes on behind the scenes, so they have a harder time falling under the spell of an artwork. Not that I'm an expert novelist--I've only written one novel and it's hardly a masterpiece (but I think it's pretty cool!). Still, I've written a lot of nonfiction now, whereas I did most of my fiction reading before I'd written much of anything outside of school. So there's this deeper issue here.

I do know that my fiction reading was cut down tenfold, anecdotally, since I grew up enough in the last decade to read more non-fiction.

I can't say it's the internet because changes in behavior or expression that one might observe in broad generalizations is not really present in your writing. You may write on the internet but it still reads like a philosophy tome ;).

Lol - then again I don't read your twitter, if you have one, so maybe you really do have an issue.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Benjamin Cain

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 08:54:14 pm »
No, I think you're right. Any negative impact of the internet on my thinking hasn't really come out in my writing. I model my non-academic writing style on that of my favourite writers, including Lewis Mumford, Ligotti, Thomas Frank, Erik Davis, Nietzsche, and so forth. I don't much like Twitter or Facebook or the other social media, precisely because the writing quality is constrained by the media.

I'd compare this problem to the one I have with movies. I love watching movies, but the more you watch the harder it is for the film-makers to impress you, because there comes a point where you've seen it all before. So it's possible to see or to read too much of a good thing, I think. In that case, you need to look around for new material and that takes some work. Now, I haven't read nearly as much fiction as I've seen movies, so I think I'm just lazy in looking for books that will appeal to me. Those books must be out there somewhere.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 11:39:21 am »
I have started on "neverness", and so far it is very interesting. So thanks for that suggestion.

Have you read any of M John Harrison?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 11:46:55 am »
I'd compare this problem to the one I have with movies. I love watching movies, but the more you watch the harder it is for the film-makers to impress you, because there comes a point where you've seen it all before. So it's possible to see or to read too much of a good thing, I think. In that case, you need to look around for new material and that takes some work. Now, I haven't read nearly as much fiction as I've seen movies, so I think I'm just lazy in looking for books that will appeal to me. Those books must be out there somewhere.

I think you're just going to have to keep writing. Hopefully, you midwife something amazing enough to impress yourself. Otherwise, start reading books again. Try everything, chuck it when you can't stand it (I've developed a keen eye over the first chapter in most books stores, so I don't waste my time or money, though sometimes my age and the author's artifact just couldn't grok each other at some points.)

You'll either find something that does what you want it to again or you won't. But your strategy now is a loss ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »
Finally got around to read the first two, and what a treat that was! I have been missing out big time by ignoring these books for so long :o

I am actually afraid of continuing the series because it is supposedly goes downhill from book 3....... I certainly do not want to ruin the experience, but at the same time I have many questions that need to be answered.

So, does the rest of the series conclude and tie all the strings together or does it take a different path that is non related to the previous two books? Some folks say the former and some the latter.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 12:18:15 pm »
The AI and Ousters are explained a bit more, but the next two take place like 300+ years after the end of The Fall.
Endymion and Rise of Endymion are not as good, or as unique, as Hyperion and The Fall, but they are decent books in their own right. I would suggest to anyone that read the first two to read the last two. Nearly all of the cast of characters are new, with hints and connections to the past. They are closer to your standard sci-fi space opera than Hyperion was, with a great focus on aliens, technology, and world hopping.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 01:41:55 am »
I recently read both Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.  I'd more or less heard that plenty of folks think you can stop there, and while I wouldn't rule out reading the next two someday, I don't feel the need to go on.

I would echo what Wilshire said about the first book.  I was pretty amazed by it at times and feel like it's one of the best books I've read in a while.  The stories of each of the pilgrims are all so well-done in their own unique way.  Man, did Martin make me laugh a few times. 

I did like Fall of Hyperion too, but it wasn't quite as fun as the first one for me. 

And then:

(click to show/hide)

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 01:41:22 pm »
I recently read both Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.  I'd more or less heard that plenty of folks think you can stop there, and while I wouldn't rule out reading the next two someday, I don't feel the need to go on.

I would echo what Wilshire said about the first book.  I was pretty amazed by it at times and feel like it's one of the best books I've read in a while.  The stories of each of the pilgrims are all so well-done in their own unique way.  Man, did Martin make me laugh a few times. 

I did like Fall of Hyperion too, but it wasn't quite as fun as the first one for me. 

And then:

(click to show/hide)

Hello Triskele,

(click to show/hide)

At least that is how I understood it. Would be nice to hear other opinions - in spoiler tags of course.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 02:28:07 pm »
(click to show/hide)
One of the other conditions of possibility.