Character and Faction List/ What comes before

• 6 Replies

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: August 17, 2017, 02:13:43 pm »
Is there any particular reason the character list was excluded for TUC?

I was hoping we'd have one mapping out who comprised each of the contingents, Trials. Seemed like a good chance to lay out the roster for who would be in the Ordeal, given that a few new names appear, Grimmel etc.

And is in just me, or was the what comes before significantly shorter than previous entries?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 03:21:40 pm »
The "What Has Come Before" section was greatly reduced and streamlined on the recommendation of our own reichorn (or delavagus, as many of us know him as).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 03:32:39 pm »
Oh man really? I was hoping it would be the longest and most detailed one yet!

What was the reason for advising the change if you don't mind me asking? Keeping it one way for 6 books then changing it for the final volume seems a strange choice.

The WHCB were great for laying out what happened in clearer terms given the writing fervour and ambiguity of some of the endings.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 03:37:26 pm »
What was the reason for advising the change if you don't mind me asking?

Lol... I want to say it was something like "Bakker, this is getting fucking ridiculous."

Not everyone appreciates digesting the minutia as we do ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 02:58:23 pm »
You mean we were supposed to read the "what has come before" bits? :P I have to admit I've never bothered, and never felt like I missed anything by not bothering. But then I actually like Bakker's tendency to ambiguity and obscurantism and feel absolutely no need to read a summary at the start of the next novel to make sure I 'got' everything. I'd have preferred the pages wasted (from my PoV) on the WHCB summaries to be spent on more new and interesting revelations.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 05:40:37 pm »
I read them due to OCD.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 04:18:27 pm »
You mean we were supposed to read the "what has come before" bits? :P I have to admit I've never bothered, and never felt like I missed anything by not bothering. But then I actually like Bakker's tendency to ambiguity and obscurantism and feel absolutely no need to read a summary at the start of the next novel to make sure I 'got' everything. I'd have preferred the pages wasted (from my PoV) on the WHCB summaries to be spent on more new and interesting revelations.

He added the WHCB bits because his long-time editor and his agent previously admonished "catch-up notation." You'll notice that some opening chapters in each book include basically bullet-point openings describing what came before. Bakker also used the WHCB to play a game with history as he does with the "in-world Glossary."
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer