[TGO SPOILERS] Momas Almighty

• 78 Replies

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2016, 03:39:01 pm »
The implication when the leaders of the Yatwerian cult were discussing them seems to be that the Anagkeans were independent but after the assassination attempt they were gutted in reprisal.

Being gutted in reprisal doesn't mean that they weren't part of the Thousand Temples.  I'll have to go reread those parts.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2016, 07:43:37 pm »
I'd imagine they're trying to have it both ways like Yatwer.

Darzin

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2016, 10:15:47 am »
Almoslt all of the cults retain separate structures, in the first trilogy there are quite a few references to cultic priests and separate from Shrial priests.
There is no god but God and Fane is the messenger of God

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2016, 11:37:33 am »
Almoslt all of the cults retain separate structures, in the first trilogy there are quite a few references to cultic priests and separate from Shrial priests.

That doesn't indicate that they aren't subject to the authority of the Thousand Temples.  That indicates those priests are dedicated to a specific god.   The Thousand Temples forms an administrative and spiritual authority over its member cults.  The Glossary at the back of The Thousandfold Though specifically mentions how powerful and popular by cult of Gilgaol is by stating that although the cult is subordinate to the Thousand Temples it has almost as many priests and receives possibly even more sacrifices.  Yawter is unusual by maintaining both an official, obedient public cult and a secret cult where its outlawed actual leadership resides.  Ajokli, of course, doesn't have anything as formally organized as a cult.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2016, 06:35:17 pm »
How would we know the others aren't doing the same? They're secret.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2016, 10:47:20 pm »
How would we know the others aren't doing the same? They're secret.

We don't, not absolutely.  However both Yawter and Ajokli are highly resistant to subordinating themselves to a structure like the Thousand Temples, incorporate elements subversive to authority as core doctrine,  and are in themselves either illegal or have parts of their cult outlawed.  They can't be used as the baseline for what the other cults are like.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2016, 11:55:07 pm »
Was just thinking about when Esme meets the Shakers on the road to Momemn in TDTCB, and they're hitting themselves on the back with whips or something like that. Well, they're the devotees of Onkis, correct? I just feel like there is some connection with that and how Kelmommas gets bit on the neck by Sammy, the head on a pole behind you and how twins are all connected to this. Not really any concrete theory or anything, just throwing it out there. It feels as if we're getting Sammy's POV as a way to demonstrate TDTCB.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2016, 11:13:50 am »
@The Sharmat, @Cynical Cat, just so you know, when I used they word "bastards", is was not in the literal sense. I re-read it and thought it ill spoken. Sorry, if you guys took it as a direct reference.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2016, 11:50:39 am »
No offense taken.  We're cool.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2016, 08:08:56 pm »
Good. Just wanted to clarify myself. Sometimes I forget that there is so broad of a ethnic range on the internet, the Whole World. And, when what hand you shake with is taking as an insult someplaces, bastard could be the lowest of the low elsewhere. I didn't want to disrespect anyone. It's not me and my ol' boys having a beer shooting the shit on the porch. Where here bastard is used lightly, to say something frankly and funny. Anyway, just making sure everyone got how intended it to be. Again, sorry if I offended anyone.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2016, 03:17:25 pm »
Okay read over the scene with Kel, WLW and Kelhus. It wasn't a third quake, it was part of the second, though i am of the opinion that the quake was not caused by Yatwer, but Ajokli. No where in any of the WLW visions is a guake involved. I think Ajoki used Kelmommas to break the circuit of the WLW and then used the quake to kill the WLW. This is also how I read it the first time around.

ETA: I will admit though that Yatwer caused the earthquake and by Kel simply being there to stun everyone cause the circuit to stop and the WLW fall to his demise. I can buy that too.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 03:20:35 pm by MSJ »

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2016, 03:46:17 pm »
I reread that passage multiple times during the first read. The intriguing part is that Kelmomas breaks the "it has already happened" fork/prophecy/instance that worked to kill Thelliopa, and therefore makes that reality false/untrue (The idea that Kellhus has seen that part happen from the Outside and with that warn Sammi, is also still in my mind). Which in turn leads back to Kellhus's TTT to defeat Circumstance.
With all the deaths of "major" characters, I think this may be the turning point where the Hundred are actually not only beaten, but also the point where Kellhus defeats/undoes them. The remaining unknown pieces on the benjuka plate for him are Sorweel and Mimara. Nigh on all else is accounted for.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 03:50:08 pm by Monkhound »
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2016, 04:23:28 pm »
Surely the quake had to be involved in the white luck - wasn't the falling chorae the thing that was supposed to kill Kellhus? Hence the quake must have been involved, no?

Sigh. Need to do a re-read already.

You are the fist that beats us.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2016, 05:45:56 pm »
Surely the quake had to be involved in the white luck - wasn't the falling chorae the thing that was supposed to kill Kellhus? Hence the quake must have been involved, no?

Sigh. Need to do a re-read already.

Well in the WLW vision doesn't Esme say "catch", as in throwing a chorae towards Kellhus. Its confusing no doubt and can be read many different ways.

ETA:  it's just a matter of who the quake came from, Ajokli or Yatwer.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:50:00 pm by MSJ »

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2016, 06:00:59 pm »
I think the "catch" thing is more to tie in the peach she threw at WLW earlier on with the chorae later on (which she had no involvement in). RSB's aim being to underline the casualness and precariousness in the whole situation. The whole saviour-of-mankind thing nearly ended as easily as one throws a piece of fruit.