H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2019, 04:08:55 pm »
Well, I don't think anyone really knows how the No-God works, except maybe the Progenitors themselves.  Or, much like some of our neural-networks now, we actually don't know exactly what they do, only that it gets done.  So, the Sarcophagus might just be a literal block-box, that just does what it does.  It might even not have been made by the Progenitors themselves.  If it was the case that Ark was an AI or something like that, it might have devised the Sarcophagus itself with little to no understanding of any deeper meaning.  So, indeed, almost anything is likely potentially "on the table" because there is so much undefined.

As for what happens when the No-God is destroyed, well, we don't know.  However, since the Consult didn't just suicide themselves when the No-God came to be the first time means, either, the souls get set to the Outside, or stuck in a transitory state, or something "worse."  In any case, part of the Consult plan is to specifically "close the world" and then enjoy corporeal life.  So, it could be that souls under the No-God just cease to be but the Consult is averse to this outcome.  They are after life, eternal, not an existence of damnation or simple non-existence.

Not only that, but part of the scheme is to end the system.  That is, to close of damnation altogether.  In this sense, they do have a "noble" aim, even though it's actually terrible, just in a different way than the Cubit's demands are.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2019, 02:59:38 pm »
For all we know, finding Mommy might have been all that Nau was doing as the NG as well :P .
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2019, 07:21:57 pm »
For all we know, finding Mommy might have been all that Nau was doing as the NG as well :P .

Haha, well, we don't know about Nau mommy...

Jokes aside, as a pseudo-random thought, we don't actually know what "powers" the No-God.  As in, I doubt it has batteries.  Perhaps what actually fuels it, what makes the whole thing work, is the soul in questions need, or seeking, or demanding, toward something.  That yearning, that unquenchable desire, or need, might well be what separates a potential insertant from what ends up being just another dead body they stuffed in there.

So, while it might not have been Nau's mommy issues, it might not have been far off...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2019, 06:41:00 pm »
I don't know, I guess I am just pretty resigned to the fact that Bakker is a flawed person.  I guess that just doesn't surprise me.

I mean, I do wish some things were done differently in the books, but they just are what they are (now).

I, however, do see numerous ways that TNG doesn't have to be a rehash of the First Apocalypse.  We don't know what the "personality" of the insertant has, as an effect, on the behavior of the No-God apparatus (if any).  We don't know what the long term consequence will be of the removal of the Chorae from the Carapace, despite the massive culling that the Schools underwent as a result of the end of the Ordeal, presumably the No-God is relatively "more" vulnerable to sorcery this time.

Plus, there is a decided lack of leadership as many of the "old powers" were lost in the Ordeal.  There is also the "added" factor of the Fanim, more specifically, the fact that Kellhus specifically did not kill Meppa, meaning that the Psûhke is still "on the table."

Then, of course, is the added factor of Mimara.  In my deluded mind, Kellhus' comment that "she is what he pretends to be" or however it is phrased, is a fact.  That she will be something like a "Prophet" or a savior.  That alone is much different than the First Apocalypse.

Also, I still do think that Bakker is "playing" (in a sort of Heideggerian way) with the word "Apocalypse."  While it's "common use" is taken more from it's biblical tone, it's root is: "Old English, via Old French and ecclesiastical Latin from Greek apokalupsis, from apokaluptein ‘uncover, reveal’, from apo- ‘un-’ + kaluptein ‘to cover’."  So, what is uncovered, or revealed?  To me, that is the call to the role of Mimara.  The "revelation" that Logos (rationality/logic) is not the "savior" nor is the "tekne" (technology).  No, the "answer" is more akin to Hegel's "Geist," that is, Spirit.  I won't rehash the circumlocutions of my Eärwan Souls thread here, but there is something "there" to me.

Isn't it Mimara that says She is what kellhus pretends to be?

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2019, 06:43:50 pm »
I didnt mean to suggest that TNG would be a rehash. Only insofar as the entire TSA series is a rehash of the First Apocalypse to begin (which it most definitely is) and historical events repeating keeps happening both in long term and even shorter term (Short term: moenghus->20 years->dies chorae, repeated by Kellhus->20 years-> dies chorae. Long Term: See Ordeal in First Apocalypse and Great Ordeal in Second).

Plus the names, plus the twin thing. Kellhus being a direct descendant of the original dynasty opposing the consult.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2019, 06:50:28 pm »
I think the fact Mimara as the God can see the Carpace while Cnaiur as Ajokli cannot has some significance. The last part of the book is basically Mimara staring at the carpace. Then Cnaiur strolling down looking for the carpace (was ajokli assuming it was kellhus in the carpace?) and not being able to see it.

Well apart from Mimara casting away her last protection from Akka (chorae) and embracing him fully in some way, if Akka wasn't there no one would have started running either.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2019, 12:20:45 pm »
Isn't it Mimara that says She is what kellhus pretends to be?

Ah, yeah, not sure how or why I reversed that in my mind...