Mirathais

• 7 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:05:08 pm »
Working on the character list does tend to bring previously overlooked details/characters into attention.
Remember this briefly mentioned character?

From chapter 3 of TUC:
The Exalt-General, the Conriyan chronicler Mirathais would write, grew as ashen as the ground vacated around him.
The Exalt-General wept, Mirathais would write in his journal, "as a father who finds a vanished child."

This is interesting, as it does confirm that at least some of the Ordealmen survived to return to the Three Seas and tell others of their experiences. Mirathais was almost certainly one of them, unless someone else (other Conriyans?) managed to secure his writings (less likely, given everything that happened to the Ordeal). It also implies that word of Proyas' disgrace did reach the Three Seas and his family.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 03:47:43 pm »
I want to say there was another reference, somewhere, to someone leaving their name in 'the Scripture that would follow'.  I think there are a few places where we get references to future historians having some knowledge of the Ordeal, which implies to me that Serwa is alive and successfully teleports some people away.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:57:09 pm »
I want to say there was another reference, somewhere, to someone leaving their name in 'the Scripture that would follow'.  I think there are a few places where we get references to future historians having some knowledge of the Ordeal, which implies to me that Serwa is alive and successfully teleports some people away.

That's very likely, Walter, Mirathais was just the example that I actually noticed.
To be sure, most of the Great Ordeal that still remained as of the beginning of TUC was annihilated during the battle and after Resumption, but there were presumably a few survivors. I myself still hope that Serwa survived. It's likely that Saccarees and Kayûtas did as well (neither of them was severely injured the last time we saw them, unlike Serwa). As Serwa was apparently unconscious (if not dead) the last time we saw her, it's more probable that Saccarees was the one to teleport some of the Ordealmen to safety.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:33:46 pm »
I think only teleportation gets you out of that mess.  Whether it is via Saccarees or Serwa I think the Road Metagnostic was the only way out of there.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:03 pm »
I think only teleportation gets you out of that mess.  Whether it is via Saccarees or Serwa I think the Road Metagnostic was the only way out of there.

Metagnosis would be the better chance of escape, certainly, but I wouldn't yet discount the very small possibility of one or a few (un)lucky Ordealmen managing to run away in the chaos of Resumption. Unlikely, I know, but there were at least a few hundreds of Ordealmen left at that point, so it's not completely impossible.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 10:02:27 pm »

Metagnosis would be the better chance of escape, certainly, but I wouldn't yet discount the very small possibility of one or a few (un)lucky Ordealmen managing to run away in the chaos of Resumption. Unlikely, I know, but there were at least a few hundreds of Ordealmen left at that point, so it's not completely impossible.

I think there were thousands still at that point, at least 5,000 maybe. Still nowhere near enough to handle the swarm, but could be a few Sorcerers on the far side away from the action scratched their way out of there with some others back to Dagliash ( and died still from radiation poisoning ) or somewhere. Nice to know someone was still up to recording history as the world fell apart ( images of the Titanic come to mind ).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:04:35 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:49:45 pm »
I think there were thousands still at that point, at least 5,000 maybe. Still nowhere near enough to handle the swarm, but could be a few Sorcerers on the far side away from the action scratched their way out of there with some others back to Dagliash ( and died still from radiation poisoning ) or somewhere. Nice to know someone was still up to recording history as the world fell apart ( images of the Titanic come to mind ).

Alright, a higher number than I thought, then (I honestly believed they weren't that many left, that's why I used "hundreds" instead of "thousands").
Very true, other sorcerers (or witches) could have facilitated some of the Ordealmen's escape. Even without the Metagnosis (pretty much restricted to Saccarees at this point, with Serwa in an uncertain state), that could work. I, for one, really hope at least one of the Swayali witches (aside from Serwa) survived. There were already so many missed opportunities there...
There were definitely still some people recording history, yes. Now, what happened after the No-God started making his way throughout the Three Seas is (still) a mystery. Since TNG apparently will start a few weeks after the end of TUC, it's unlikely Mirathais and any others who survived would have been able to make their way back by that point. We have yet to find out if they all died during the Second Apocalypse anyway and the records were left for posterity, or...something else.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 05:42:38 am »
Akka summons some sort of platform for him esme and mimara, considering how fast sorceror's can walk the ground and we know Akka could have taken Mimara over the Leash we know he has an escape path.

It's also as close to Ishual or Ishterebinth as it is to Dagliash from the Arc. Crossing the Leash and heading straight for the 3 seas takes them back through Sauglish. I'd be heading straight back to Atyersus. Nice wee island.