Title says it all, really.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:37:27 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Well, conditioned is such an intentful word. Or atleast is is when I think about a certain series of books!

I suppose what you might be looking for is how someone can simply take a series of inclinations and...kind of cause a inertia towards a certain set of conclusions/certain set of behaviour. A kind of hijack - ie, a readyness to go in a certain direction, a bit like a readied avalanche, and in what ways others can trigger those primed avalanches with words.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:37:33 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Well, we all go to the same schools and consume the same media.  It's only the fine points that differ.
I think the westerosi obsession with rooting out the secretly misogynistic/wrong-thinking authors in fiction is a great example of how readers are conditioned.
Books like PoN don't really add anything new but they leave you asking questions without providing answers.
Evidence of a diseased soul trying to spread its poison?  Maybe, maybe not...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:26 pm »
- Western narrative structure
- The Prophet narrative
- Tolkien
- Herbert
- Philosophic/Psychological antecedents
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:34:56 am »
- Western narrative structure
- The Prophet narrative
- Tolkien
- Herbert
- Philosophic/Psychological antecedents
And don't forget antecedents of scripture (myth that is believed) and myth (scripture that is disbelieved).

Glad you revived this thread Madness, it disappeared under two snarky posts. :)

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:54:03 am »
under two snarky posts.
Objectively so.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 10:21:33 am »
And don't forget antecedents of scripture (myth that is believed) and myth (scripture that is disbelieved).

Glad you revived this thread Madness, it disappeared under two snarky posts. :)

Lol - I remember wanting to respond to this thread but I must have forgotten. I forgot to remember! I am Erratic.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 04:45:34 pm »
As a fantasy reader, I feel heavily conditioned by the Return of the King/happy ending.  Wonder if Bakker is just going to kill everyone.  Something more Comrac style.

SkiesOfAzel

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 07:15:59 pm »
Conditioning is a major part of the human mechanism in general. Most of the times we do it to ourselves. It's how we create a sense of self, despite being not one entity, but a very complex system of different parts. Our short term memory convinces us that we are usually in the right and our long term memory compresses data by association making memories even easier to manipulate. Even our sensory image of the world isn't objective, but we perceive it as the only one that can be. As every other system we need a purpose, thus we convince ourselves we are special, different, unique etc.

Our parents condition us. We share their moral code, their image of humanity, their religious believes, their traditions or even their habits. The same thing goes for the rest of society and we still haven't talked about intentional conditioning :P.

Conditioning does the funniest things. We think we are a species that love freedom. Yet our society has so many written and unwritten rules that you can't name them all even if that all you do for a whole day. We give away our freedom for security and comfort every day, and no one seems to notice. We submit to another's will and call it democracy. We think we are moral creatures yet it's in our nature to search and find shortcuts to our goals. Heck, some of us even think we are something other than a type of monkey and that there is a holy pervert in the sky (what is holy ffs) that watches our every move and judges us accordingly. We think that a word can describe a complex socioeconomic system and that this system is the same as long as it bears the same title. We think that every day we make conscious decisions when in truth we decide once for every type of problem and then recall that decision when a similar situation arises.  I could go on forever ... but i won't since i've just taken my pills  ;D.

Anyway, to answer the question i think it depends on age and prior conditioning. If a person has an already formed personality conditioning happens through confirmation bias. You get the safety of your believes served along with something new. Since most people in our culture are subjects to very similar conditioning, it's not that hard to find that common, safe core belief and build upon it. Of course, younger people are more receptive to bigger changes, thus we have school which has authority, so the books must be right.

That's why i love so much the exceptions to the rule. The best books i've read, i couldn't complete on the first try. This also happened to me with the DTCB, it was so alien that it offended me on a subconscious level, so i put it down after 100 pages, but i somehow kept thinking about it, and i mean actually thinking, till one day i picked it up again and kept reading and reading till the end of the trilogy. I later realized that what had initially offended me was simple honesty, it was making me feel uncomfortable about myself and we don't like that, do we ;)?

As a fantasy reader, I feel heavily conditioned by the Return of the King/happy ending.  Wonder if Bakker is just going to kill everyone.  Something more Comrac style.

Some things are so very subjective. I completed the return of the king decades ago, i was probably 13 or 14 at the time and it was an awful feeling. You saw a happy ending, i saw the end of beauty. A world becoming somehow less, the begining of decay. Lol i was a weird boy :P.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 07:19:23 pm by SkiesOfAzel »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:00 pm »
Conditioning is a major part of the human mechanism in general. Most of the times we do it to ourselves. It's how we create a sense of self, despite being not one entity, but a very complex system of different parts. Our short term memory convinces us that we are usually in the right and our long term memory compresses data by association making memories even easier to manipulate. Even our sensory image of the world isn't objective, but we perceive it as the only one that can be. As every other system we need a purpose, thus we convince ourselves we are special, different, unique etc.

Neither here nor there but I do think we can affect those "standard" perceptions through practice. And there are certainly things that can be affected to effect your internal narrative.

All is illusory, though, in a sense.

Our parents condition us. We share their moral code, their image of humanity, their religious believes, their traditions or even their habits. The same thing goes for the rest of society and we still haven't talked about intentional conditioning :P.

Lol, you're going gold here but I'm going to be a knob and try and bring it back to the thread. I don't know how cultures-not-mine perceive these books but all of these things go into determining our associations. Our parents in this sense have determined not only our perception and reaction to content, but the way in which we speculate and the things we speculate about.

Aside, for the obvious example, we are conditioned to read a certain way, for instance, because Bakker mentioned years ago that Dune and LOTR were heavy antecedents to the series and this was reinforced by the presence of obvious parallels, which even now condition my future speculation. Or even more obvious we are conditioned to know that the "Nonmen are False" and "the imperative to invade Earwa" are Inchoroi additions to the tusk they inscribed humankind's oral beliefs onto as we go into TUC.

Conditioning does the funniest things. We think we are a species that love freedom. Yet our society has so many written and unwritten rules that you can't name them all even if that all you do for a whole day. We give away our freedom for security and comfort every day, and no one seems to notice. We submit to another's will and call it democracy. We think we are moral creatures yet it's in our nature to search and find shortcuts to our goals. Heck, some of us even think we are something other than a type of monkey and that there is a holy pervert in the sky (what is holy ffs) that watches our every move and judges us accordingly. We think that a word can describe a complex socioeconomic system and that this system is the same as long as it bears the same title. We think that every day we make conscious decisions when in truth we decide once for every type of problem and then recall that decision when a similar situation arises.  I could go on forever ... but i won't since i've just taken my pills  ;D.

I don't think these are incoherent or even incorrect thoughts. I would question bearing on the topic at hand but you are sketching a pretty decent frame for anyone who might not be familiar with these constraints to the content in discussion.

Anyway, to answer the question i think it depends on age and prior conditioning. If a person has an already formed personality conditioning happens through confirmation bias. You get the safety of your believes served along with something new. Since most people in our culture are subjects to very similar conditioning, it's not that hard to find that common, safe core belief and build upon it. Of course, younger people are more receptive to bigger changes, thus we have school which has authority, so the books must be right.

Well, this is an interesting point for notation because Bakker's books have been translated into over fifteen other languages. There are a number of members reading and posting from all over the world. We aren't all so similarly conditioned, though everything now in the world can bear an overarching mark of carbon copy corporations.

Definitely, we form a sense of homogenous group in that we're all SFF readers, who have been conditioned by reading the genre.

That's why i love so much the exceptions to the rule. The best books i've read, i couldn't complete on the first try. This also happened to me with the DTCB, it was so alien that it offended me on a subconscious level, so i put it down after 100 pages, but i somehow kept thinking about it, and i mean actually thinking, till one day i picked it up again and kept reading and reading till the end of the trilogy. I later realized that what had initially offended me was simple honesty, it was making me feel uncomfortable about myself and we don't like that, do we ;)?

Lol - wish fulfillment. It is interesting because I've met both extreme pessimist and optimistic persons here; most everything in-between. In fact, some of us must fit the confirmation bias example you mentioned above, where we're seeing echoes of our preconceived comfort-beliefs in Bakker's "uncomfortable" content.

Though, I was a little of both.

Some things are so very subjective. I completed the return of the king decades ago, i was probably 13 or 14 at the time and it was an awful feeling. You saw a happy ending, i saw the end of beauty. A world becoming somehow less, the begining of decay. Lol i was a weird boy :P.

For believing the Epic beautiful? Not so strange.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:06:44 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:07:41 am »
I felt the end of RotK was depressing too.  The end of an age, the passing of magic and entire races et al.

Definately felt conditioned to enjoy TDTCB because of my positive experiences reading ancient epics as a child.  The language Bakker uses stirs me.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 10:23:56 am »
I felt the end of RotK was depressing too.  The end of an age, the passing of magic and entire races et al.

Definately felt conditioned to enjoy TDTCB because of my positive experiences reading ancient epics as a child.  The language Bakker uses stirs me.

Yeah, I read the Odyssey pretty young, in my early teens and I remember being blown away by Odysseus sleeping under a pile of furs for some reason... So little has changed.

So Homer. Check. Bakker has both Homer's hivemind sense of drama and simplicity 8).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SkiesOfAzel

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:43:40 pm »
Lol, you're going gold here but I'm going to be a knob and try and bring it back to the thread. I don't know how cultures-not-mine perceive these books but all of these things go into determining our associations. Our parents in this sense have determined not only our perception and reaction to content, but the way in which we speculate and the things we speculate about.

Aside, for the obvious example, we are conditioned to read a certain way, for instance, because Bakker mentioned years ago that Dune and LOTR were heavy antecedents to the series and this was reinforced by the presence of obvious parallels, which even now condition my future speculation. Or even more obvious we are conditioned to know that the "Nonmen are False" and "the imperative to invade Earwa" are Inchoroi additions to the tusk they inscribed humankind's oral beliefs onto as we go into TUC.

I don't think these are incoherent or even incorrect thoughts. I would question bearing on the topic at hand but you are sketching a pretty decent frame for anyone who might not be familiar with these constraints to the content in discussion.

Sorry for going OT, it's just that to me the title didn't say it all. I found the general idea pretty interesting but i couldn't find the scope. I mean, reader is not that specific, are we talking about readers of the SA, of fantasy, of literature, reader in general? The same goes for the conditioning part. Are we talking about conditioning our beliefs or our expectations? So i improvised :P.

Well, this is an interesting point for notation because Bakker's books have been translated into over fifteen other languages. There are a number of members reading and posting from all over the world. We aren't all so similarly conditioned, though everything now in the world can bear an overarching mark of carbon copy corporations.

Definitely, we form a sense of homogenous group in that we're all SFF readers, who have been conditioned by reading the genre.

My opinion is that the differences between social groups are so noticeable because there are so few of them compared to how many preconceptions humanity shares as a whole. For example Christians and Muslims fight over who is right in his interpretation of God, but both share the belief that there actually is a God, an afterlife, judgement, angels, demons, good, evil, etc. Most writers that actively try to use conditioning for the purpose of gaining popularity, begin from the pillars of belief that most of us share or have learned to tolerate, and build from there.

Lol - wish fulfillment. It is interesting because I've met both extreme pessimist and optimistic persons here; most everything in-between. In fact, some of us must fit the confirmation bias example you mentioned above, where we're seeing echoes of our preconceived comfort-beliefs in Bakker's "uncomfortable" content.

Though, I was a little of both.

Pessimism and optimism, hmmm. In my view those traits don't have much to do with the ideas in the SA. It might appear so in the beginning but i think the meat of the book has to do with introspection and acceptance. The way we function isn't good or bad, it just is. The problems arise when we try to categorize it with current morality and we find it lacking, so we pretend it isn't there. That actually is bad. I personally think that we are beautiful. The world that we are part of is beautiful. Life is beautiful. It's just that we went looking for meaning and managed to find the opposite. When the distance between what you are and what you think you are is so vast, you can't be truly happy and most of all you can't become that something that you want to be, because you don't really know what you really have to change.

Anyway, i went ot again, sorry (but not really :P). I agree that there is always confirmation bias, and i am sure the same thing happened to me. I may have gotten angry but i eventually gave it another chance because subconsciously i was half there already. Maybe it was something i read, something i heard or something i ate ;D, i don't know, but i am sure that there was something.

Now if we are talking about conditioning expectations Bakker does it all the time. There are fantasy stereotypes, sci fi stereotypes, even historical and religious stereotypes and Scott uses them all. The smart thing about the way he does it is that he doesn't try to be original. He just uses them as tools, he doesn't really seem to care what we think about what he does with those tools.

Abercrombie for example uses every stereotype there is and then simply adds a minus in front of the whole equation. So everything feels familiar because you get the exact opposite of what you expected but also original because you get a different outcome from what you are used to. Bakker used Dune and especially the God Emperor as inspiration (among many, MANY other works), but despite the similarities between Leto and Kellhus i don't dare predict what the latter will do. Hell, when Meppa first appeared i was certain Scott was trolling the Dune readers. And while he deliberately does that and often (the bastard ;D), most of the time he uses something as a tribute and not to intentionally condition us. For example the Dunyain are obviously a reference to Tolkien, but besides that they have little to do with the Numenorians. You learn fast not to expect that kind of shit in his books the first time you realize your expectations were so far off the mark that you feel really stupid ;).

Of course when we read the books we condition ourselves because slowly but surely we start to understand how he thinks a little better, so we formulate expectations, not based on stereotypes, but on the character of the author, kind of like with Kafka as well.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:24:59 pm by SkiesOfAzel »

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 05:15:19 pm »
Just to chime in, as I'm in a bit of a hurry - in linguistics and communications theory the kind of conditioning described in the first post is called "presupposition". And every reader comes to a book with a lot of presuppositions and you can get a lot of interesting reactions if you decide to go against those presuppositions.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:18 pm »

I think I'm predisposed to expect fantasy to end with the disenchantment of the world.  Tolkien, Earthsea, you can't go back to Narnia when you get too old.