Earwa > Atrocity Tales

False Sun Clarifications request

<< < (3/5) > >>

TaoHorror:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on May 17, 2017, 03:50:13 pm ---Shae and Aurang brought the mountain down on top of Titirga to kill Titirga, this seems clear to me.

Whether they did it to ensure he died, or because they knew he still lived, it seems that they had pre-planned to drop the entire mountain on him given how rapidly the thing collapsed.

--- End quote ---

Hmm ... me thinks maybe not ... this texts suggests unintended consequences - "Only Aurang's wings saved them" and the references to how the mountain collapsed thereafter from rot and tunneling.

The sky cracked. Iros shuddered. The impossible sun tipped and stumbled. Plumes of ejecta exploded from points along the mountain’s perimeter, scarcely visible for the Diurnal’s encompassing glare. The mound that had been Nogaral shrugged then slumped into its contradiction. It was as if a dome of cloth had been pressed into a dimple. Summit became basin. Illumination became shadow. The mountain had been rotten with Viri, its innumerable ways fractured by the cataclysmic impact of the Ark thousands of years before. The underworld mansion imploded, collapsed inward and downward, tier upon tier, hall upon hall, undone by this final indignity. This last outrage.
The Man and the Inchoroi toppled with it. Though suspended, they remained bound to the earth, and as with all drastic changes of circumstance, the meaning of their sorcery ceased to be. Only Aurang’s wings saved them. The Inchoroi seized the Man from kicking emptiness, bore him up beyond the Diurnal blue into the truth that was cold and night.

Wilshire:
Hmm, I'd have to reread more of it, I still think it was intentional, at least in part.

TaoHorror:
Well, what a difference 2 weeks can make ... just re-read False Sun and wow, seems seamless now, easily catching the flashbacks and feel I understand it all well. Just one remaining confusion, something I take will be answered in TUC - why is Earwa "Promised"? Hard to follow the PON story at times with so many lies, but from what Aurang says here, it wasn't an accident they crashed landed into Earwa ( well, maybe they didn't mean to crash, but appears they wanted to come here ). Best I can tell is the Inchoroi think Earwa is the key to avoiding hell ... so these "gods" exist/perceived outside of Earwa? I guess if they were "real", then that would be the case ... guess I'm not all in on the 100 actually existing as the 100. But Earwa shows the most "promise" to hide from the gods or it was "promised" to them by ... something.

So the conflict appears to come down to the Inverse Fire - does it's knowledge simply damn the "learner" ( apple from the tree of knowledge reference ) or Tekne modifies the nature of the "viewer" damning them in the eyes of god/gods ( either as actual possession/control or metaphorically in that if you reggae with your life stuff too much you've become something else, a corruption, an obscenity ). The ladder seems more likely to me given that the former would be a bit curious ( think the gods would WANT us to know what hell is so we would conform to avoid it piteously - but these are Bakker gods, so traditional worship may not apply - no big surprise a proud skeptic would think gods evil if they did indeed exist, Camu's theorem ). It's a fun conundrum given Shae's convincing self expression. To us, the reader, while his "relationship" with the Inchoroi and approach is mad, to him he's doing the sane thing which is to avoid damnation and whatever horror that requires, its moot compared to what awaits them for eternity ... he could be right.

Bakker has to be careful here that one of his readers doesn't get "the right idea", LOL!

Wilshire:
No reasons explicitly why Earwa is their Promised Land. Maybe because of the existence of magic? But even then, at least for the nonmen its a hereditary trait, make it something that, once grafted, they could take to different worlds. So I'm not really sure we are any closer now to knowing what makes Earwa the place they sought, or how they might have been able to identify it.

Seems to me that they might have thought every world that they exterminated was their Eden until their plans didn't work, so they moved on. Revisionist history that the last one they were able to make it to, the one they all died trying to cleanse/prepare/whatever just so happened to be the magical holy land.

MSJ:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on June 06, 2017, 02:53:45 pm ---No reasons explicitly why Earwa is their Promised Land. Maybe because of the existence of magic? But even then, at least for the nonmen its a hereditary trait, make it something that, once grafted, they could take to different worlds. So I'm not really sure we are any closer now to knowing what makes Earwa the place they sought, or how they might have been able to identify it.

Seems to me that they might have thought every world that they exterminated was their Eden until their plans didn't work, so they moved on. Revisionist history that the last one they were able to make it to, the one they all died trying to cleanse/prepare/whatever just so happened to be the magical holy land.

--- End quote ---

Wouldn't it be the promised land because the Outside is connected to the inside via souls? Hence, magic...and also a way to disconnect the link between the two and leave the Gods howling at the gates for your soul.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version