Other Titles > The Enlightened Dead

Release date...

<< < (3/4) > >>

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: Nskoghar on January 21, 2014, 04:18:18 pm ---
--- Quote from: ecudan ---Its a damn shame he doesnt get more attention, he has such a unique voice.  I was really skeptical of him trying something not fantasy, but I loved it.
--- End quote ---

All these posts here are making me wonder if I should attempt to finish the book at some point.

Do you think it was unfair to read the first few chapters before abandoning it and giving it 1/5 stars on Goodreads?

--- End quote ---
lmao. I would recommend finishing it if you're going to give it a review. Though I like this statement:

--- Quote from: Madness on January 21, 2014, 04:40:51 pm ---If you couldn't finish it, you can't do it. I've not read plenty of books.

--- End quote ---

Go to a Bakker forum and ask if you should finish a Bakker book, spoiler alert, people will tell you to finish it.
For me, if a book is part of a series I try to finish it before I make a blanket sweep judgement. If its standalone then I try to finish it before being overly critical, though I'd be a liar if I said I always do.

Madness:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on January 21, 2014, 06:22:07 pm --- lmao. I would recommend finishing it if you're going to give it a review. Though I like this statement:

--- Quote from: Madness on January 21, 2014, 04:40:51 pm ---If you couldn't finish it, you can't do it. I've not read plenty of books.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

It's true. I can't even begin to recall (and really, why would I be able to) all the books that I've started and tossed away after a few pages, few chapters, half-way through (though, unless the book has really twisted me strangely, I'll probably finish it at some point if I got over half - fiction and non-fiction).

--- Quote from: Wilshire on January 21, 2014, 06:22:07 pm ---Go to a Bakker forum and ask if you should finish a Bakker book, spoiler alert, people will tell you to finish it.

--- End quote ---

Lol.

Aural:
Isn't there a difference between writing a review and merely rating a book? The star ratings are just a way for people to say whether they liked a book or not, not a rating based on an objective study of the merits of the work in question.

Once I've read about a 3rd into a book and I can't stand it, then it becomes fair game to say that I did not like the book IMO. And that's exactly the equivalent of the one star rating according to Goodreads: 'did not like it'.

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: Nskoghar on January 22, 2014, 03:52:13 pm ---Isn't there a difference between writing a review and merely rating a book? The star ratings are just a way for people to say whether they liked a book or not, not a rating based on an objective study of the merits of the work in question.

Once I've read about a 3rd into a book and I can't stand it, then it becomes fair game to say that I did not like the book IMO. And that's exactly the equivalent of the one star rating according to Goodreads: 'did not like it'.

--- End quote ---

Fair enough. I've never been on Goodreads, and there is a bit of a distinction between a review and a rating, though in my mind not a very big one. If you're talking about some kind of multi-paragraph/page in-depth review, compared to a single click 1-star rating, yeah there is a difference. But to me the difference of 1-click and a basic (maybe a sentence or two)  'review' of why you did/didn't like a book are very nearly equivalent.

Less information does not make it less important. When you search for a book to read, I'd imagine you generate some big, maybe genre-wide, list and sort by rating. The ratings you see could be 100 well thought out reviews, or 100 people who never even read the title of the book who click a rating for fun. Is there a difference? Of course there is, but the outcome for the person scrolling through the list is the same.

But thats more my general opinion of online rating systems and not specifically about this situation. I've been whined at for not liking plenty of books/series. Its not like my personal opinions about a book are some kind of objective, be-all-end-all 'this is what the book is' statement.

Give it whatever rating you think it deserves. I'm sure people have given better/worse ratings for fewer reasons (didn't like the cover art, stupid title, didn't read book but don't like author, etc. etc.)

Madness:

--- Quote from: Nskoghar on January 22, 2014, 03:52:13 pm ---Isn't there a difference between writing a review and merely rating a book? The star ratings are just a way for people to say whether they liked a book or not, not a rating based on an objective study of the merits of the work in question.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'm on Goodreads (participate little) but I didn't recognize the distinction as Wilshire suggested. I'm not sure if that distinction is apparent outside of Goodreads though. A review and a rating do seem like two aspects of the same thing to me: a review is the reasoning by which you make your rating?

I think most of our commentary pre-Wilshire's last post was in jest, as well.

--- Quote from: Wilshire on January 22, 2014, 04:11:46 pm ---Of course there is, but the outcome for the person scrolling through the list is the same.

But thats more my general opinion of online rating systems and not specifically about this situation. I've been whined at for not liking plenty of books/series. Its not like my personal opinions about a book are some kind of objective, be-all-end-all 'this is what the book is' statement.

Give it whatever rating you think it deserves. I'm sure people have given better/worse ratings for fewer reasons (didn't like the cover art, stupid title, didn't read book but don't like author, etc. etc.)

--- End quote ---

+1.

Online rating systems rr flerwed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version