Earwa > Atrocity Tales

The Four Revelations of Cinial'jin

<< < (2/9) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Swense ---At least it so far plays no role in the story beyond making Ciogli badass.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Borque ---Maybe they shrink when they do non-heroic stuff. Like betraying someone. Or just taking a walk in the sun, or brushing their teeth. So in the end it balances out, except for a select few with poor dental hygiene.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Sideris ---I dunno, they all have that 'perfectly clean' thing most fantasy elves have going on. They DO consider bathing holy, which puts them far above their human slaves already. :P

And back on the story itself, I think I prized this one for Conphas's eerie questioning, the dangling of the knife, etc. I'd long wondered since reading the books what'd it have been like for him to meet a Nonman. And Bakker delivered! Horrifically (in the best way).
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---The stress thing makes sense the more you think about it.  Consider elite bodybuilders or Olympic Weightlifters.  Once you reach a certain point, the response curve of the human musculoskeletal system more or less flattens and makes it INCREDIBLY difficult to 'grow' to increase a maximum number (this is why everyone resorted to steroids when chemistry let us enhance the human body).  A nonman may not have those limitations and would be able to continue growing in proportion to the physical stress.  A lot of muscle (male) and fat (female) growth in adolescence is primarily controlled by hormone release, whether it's developing muscles or filling out thighs/breasts, hormones primarily dictate what will happen to a growing body.  it's easy to see a small difference between our species and another species--in the chemical system--that would result in radically different outcomes. 

Male humans respond to musculoskeletal stress  by 'growing' more muscle and becoming stronger (to grossly oversimplify).  Is it so huge a leap to think that Cunoroi might undergo musculoskeletal stress by literally growing more proportionally, rather than just growing muscle?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Curethan ---Actually their maximum size is determined by the relative size of their existential balls.  Obviously you need balls like watermelons to break a dragon's neck wit yo bare hands.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version