Let's Draw "The Darkness That Comes Before" (may contain eventual spoilers)

• 9 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: May 25, 2018, 10:25:24 pm »
As I mentioned in the Quorum today, back when I was an active member at the Podcast of Ice and Fire forum, we had this thing going where we'd draw an MS Paint version of every chapter for a given book in the series (one thread per book, starting, of course, at the beginning of the series). Anyone who wanted to join would claim a chapter and then post their depiction of it in the thread (using nothing but MS Paint) whenever they could (no time limits here). It was quite fun at times, and it was always great to see what different people came up with (and what particular scene(s) they chose to focus on in their drawing).
Like I said in the Quorum, TSA doesn't need to be all grimdark all the time, it can be amusing, as most of you may agree. ;) This would also give everyone who doesn't have amazing drawing skills (like yours truly) the chance to create some actual TSA fanart.

So, would anyone be interested?

EDIT: As this is a small community, if enough people end up joining, I don't see why we couldn't have two (or more) versions of the same chapter. That just didn't happen in the APOIAF forums because it was a much bigger community, and people wanted to avoid having dozens of versions of the same chapter.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:29:29 pm by ThoughtsOfThelli »
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Frail

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:20:26 pm »
Are we just doing one image or is the goal to catalog an entire chapter with a dozen or so images?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:21:06 pm »
Excuse my ignorance, but what is MS paint? Besides that I think it a great idea!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:26:15 pm »
Are we just doing one image or is the goal to catalog an entire chapter with a dozen or so images?

The idea was to have one image per chapter (I think you can count the two parts of the prologue as individual chapters here). Of course, if you feel like you can sum up the whole thing in one single image, feel free to do so. :)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is MS paint? Besides that I think it a great idea!

Microsoft Paint, that image editing program you have in all versions of Windows. There might be a similar thing for Mac users if you are one? (I really don't know, never owned a Mac in my entire life.)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

Frail

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:27:05 pm »
earliest drawing program that came with windows i believe, you can get it online on your web browser now and draw away
https://jspaint.ml/#local:cb2387c01b8ac

Frail

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 11:36:45 pm »
I CLAIM

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

The Andiamine Heights

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 11:49:15 pm »
I claim Chapter 6!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 12:02:02 am »
I CLAIM

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

The Andiamine Heights

I claim Chapter 6!

Both good ones. :)
It has been a while, but chapter 18 is the one with Kellhus doing his Dûnyain scan (TM) on the lords of the Holy War, right, Frail? Or is it the one with Akka vs. thing-called-Skeaös?
And MSJ goes straight for hatred time with the Scylvendi and some of Conphas' greatest hits.

I think I'm going to go with the Prologue Part II, just so that I can poke some more fun at Kellhus' initial failures and ridiculous luck.

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 03:54:54 pm »
I claim the entire series.

Done.

WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 05:35:29 pm »
I claim the entire series.

Done.

Oh, that's so not fair, you know we can't compete with your skills! ;)

Just kidding, feel free to draw your versions of everything. I'm looking forward to it given how I much liked your more humorous TSA fanart from your deviantart account.
Like I said before, I think we can have two, or three, or however many versions of each chapter as we can here.