Greetings

• 5 Replies

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: January 31, 2020, 04:47:52 pm »
I came to read Bakker either just before or just after the release of WP.  I think there was an interview with Bakker posted on the wotmania other fiction forum wherein he said something about keeping true to the story he had envisioned from the start.  It stuck a chord with me at the time, currently experiencing the bloat and derailment of what began as a great story in wot.  Since, I have read most of TSA several times and grown to like it more and more.  It has probably reached the status of being my favorite series, or at least listed among the upper echelon.

Several months ago, I started casually rereading TSA.  Casually here meaning a couple chapters in between other books.  This is my first reread after finishing TUC, so I decided I should probably stop lurking and join the forum.

I read a fair amount.  30 or so books a year, nearly all sci-fi or fantasy.  Occasionally I read a "classic" or some general fiction.  I am also into the designer board gaming hobby, which is my social activity of choice though usually it's just my wife and I after the kids are asleep.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 05:10:23 pm »
I came to read Bakker either just before or just after the release of WP.  I think there was an interview with Bakker posted on the wotmania other fiction forum wherein he said something about keeping true to the story he had envisioned from the start.  It stuck a chord with me at the time, currently experiencing the bloat and derailment of what began as a great story in wot.  Since, I have read most of TSA several times and grown to like it more and more.  It has probably reached the status of being my favorite series, or at least listed among the upper echelon.

Interestingly enough, that is right about when I started reading it too.  I saw a mass market paperback of tDtCB, so I got it and once i was done, tWP either just came out, or was right about to.  Post-Bakker, I was (and still am) pretty disullusioned with genre fiction.  I read some here for there, but not much.  I used to read a lot of history and moved into some "literature" proper, but now almost all I read is philosophy itself.

I read a fair amount.  30 or so books a year, nearly all sci-fi or fantasy.  Occasionally I read a "classic" or some general fiction.  I am also into the designer board gaming hobby, which is my social activity of choice though usually it's just my wife and I after the kids are asleep.

I used to read a lot more, but now, between the kids, work, and everything else, I just don't have much time.  I am lucy if I get 6 books a year now, give or take.

Personally, my hobby of choice is Magic: The Gathering, secondary is table-top wargaming.  Not that I have much time of either of those too.

Again, welcome to the forum. Always nice to have fresh blood to keep the walls wet new perspectives on-board,  ;)
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 06:31:41 pm »
Welcome!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:25:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum! There's a annual reading list thread where some of us (mostly just me lol) keep track of the books we've read. I managed a couple more than 30 last year, and I think 49 the year before. Plenty to read, though Bakker remains my favorite. Its been quite some time since I've done a reread of the entire series, not since TUC came out!
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 04:25:36 am »

Personally, my hobby of choice is Magic: The Gathering, secondary is table-top wargaming.  Not that I have much time of either of those too.

I was into MTG long ago from around Third Edition/Fallen Empires until Alliance (?).  I like the idea of it still.  I guess it primed me for modern board/card games.  I have a friend who occasionally gets me to play a war game, but it has to be something well under 3 hours.

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 04:30:32 am »
Welcome to the forum! There's a annual reading list thread where some of us (mostly just me lol) keep track of the books we've read. I managed a couple more than 30 last year, and I think 49 the year before. Plenty to read, though Bakker remains my favorite. Its been quite some time since I've done a reread of the entire series, not since TUC came out!

I'll meander over there.  This last year marked my first time quitting a book (actually three now).  Not sure if I'm getting old, have raised my standards, or become impatient... maybe all three.  We'll see what this year brings.