Khellus and the Emissary.

• 35 Replies

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 11:10:03 am »
I feel like the nonmen have to suspect something anyway, either from the speed of their progress or from the quality of her mark or both.
Yes, they might suspect something but wouldn't know exactly what. 

Maybe they would assume that they came by flying chariot or somesuch. Even if this - from what we've read so far - seems to be beyond human sorcerers, it would still be credible.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 03:05:22 pm »
I feel like its more important for Kellhus to get Sorweel or Moe to Ishterberinth.

There are a lot more variables to be considered in why those two were sent.

The Nonmen are going to be able to figure out Moenghus isn't Kellhus son, I'd think - unless they suffer the human-like bias that all Others look the same and can't tell humans apart but I don't think so. And Kellhus can't very well send Kayutas - kid is probably the greatest martial leader in Earwa's history besides Kellhus. I think, Kellhus actually doubts the Ordeal can succeed. The demonstration of conviction is coming.

I find the idea that Sorweel's false face will be detected as soon a quya touches him ala Kellhus and the Emissary compelling; perhaps revealing that Kellhus' 'enemy' is no less than an agent of the hundred will be important in swaying the Intact from the consult and planned treachery back to the ordeal?

I like - especially the idea that that convinces them. I figure Serwa is going to get the Nonmen arguing and Mimara but especially, Achamian's armor, is going to get them fighting.

Serwe is simply a daughter, and handily able to use the cants of translocation. Even if she can bear nonman children (possible but no certainty) it would not save their race.  Frankly, if making half breeds was a tenable or desirable option they would have made a lot more efforts in that direction already.

Hmm... I think you underestimate the difficulty, Curethan. A human male has impregnated a Nonwoman once (Cuno-Incoroi wars) and a Siqu "raped" (allegedly) an Anasurimbor once. Two viable offspring. I think it's suggested in the text that the Nonmen are trying with the Emwama they have left after their civilization and way of life is hand-slapped by the Four Tribes. Otherwise, after the breaking of the gates they don't get much opportunity. There may or may not be the third in Cil-Aujas but we might never know.

As for the daughter part, I would want to have my genetic line pass on, I think... then, as a Nonman, you aren't a genealogical dead end. And it's not difficult to imagine that the resulting hybrid species will actually be more Nonman than human due to the Dunyain's inbreeding of the Anasurimbor bloodline already diluted with Nonman blood.

Otherwise I can't really see 'pride' as a reason to demand three people walk across hundreds of miles of sranc infested wasteland.  That's just stupid. And again, why must Serwe hide her sorcery once they are in a certain range.  I'm quite sure the metagnosis leaves a mark, probably noticably different from the norm.

I don't remember the conversation about her hiding her sorcerery, so I could be way off base, but maybe she just doesn't want to materialize out of thin air at the front gates of Ishterebinth. That would create a "shoot first ask questions later" scenario that would not be favorable for Kellhus.

And again, why must Serwe hide her sorcery once they are in a certain range. 

I assumed that was for more practical reasons.
Automated Wards in place etc.

Wilshire, that's scary dude, cause that's like based off your attendance at the Ch. 3 reading ;).

I too figured powerful Wards. The Quya will be able to sense Serwa's Mark regardless - plus who know what offends a Nonman.

And again, why must Serwe hide her sorcery once they are in a certain range.  I'm quite sure the metagnosis leaves a mark, probably noticably different from the norm.
Those transposition cants would be unknown to the Nonmen, and she (and Kellhus) might not want to show off her full capabilities just yet.

Just noting that the thing about her being unwilling to teleport comes from the preview reading.

I feel like the nonmen have to suspect something anyway, either from the speed of their progress or from the quality of her mark or both.

+1.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 03:07:11 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 01:39:02 am »
 :-[

I can't be expected to remember everything I know.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 02:39:34 pm »
I laugh in the face of our mutual Erraticism ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 09:56:50 pm »
Whatever deal Kellhus hopes to make with the nonmen post-Dagliash, I bet it includes a lot of chariots.  Air support would be so useful for the ordeal, esp with dragons about.  Has Kellhus had enough time to manufacture his own chariot or like device?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 04:29:08 am »
Well, Kellhus has the Seeing-Flame and the Ekkinu, a sorcerous tapestry, which frames his throne-on-the-go. I've always wanted to make a thread to discuss sorcerous objects and so now I have.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer