• 5 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
I wrote this in a non contiguous 7 days or so. Though really how long did it take to learn everything up to it? A lifetime? Anyway, I wrote it so as to write something I could just finish, instead of another started and aborted beginning of a grand project never completed. And even as it's relatively simple it still pushed at my abilities, in order to finish it. That was another reason to write a simpler one - man's gotta know his (current) limitations.

It's a cute little battler - I like that you can win it and get your name on the front page during the next 14 day cycle, as well as recorded in it's history (really aught to add some code to pull names from the history and show them on the front page as well, at some point).

Yeah, I was working on a scalper game (and still am), but was moved to finish something real quick, before taking on another big project.

Anyway, give in to your urge to lord over others and leave long lasting wounds on their PC's! That's how I wrote it and I play it too (user name: Blake)!

http://fightcycle.freehostingcloud.com/login.php

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
click click click .... argh, damn lag!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:23 pm »
Thanks for trying it, Curethan! Free servers, what can I say?

I should probably figure out how to use cookies, so even people on a guest pass could get back in if they return...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:29 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Serveri s fine, just jesting about being killed by lag... online gaming, y'know.

Curious, what did u code it in?
You could just use session variables and force a non-reg player to enter a name before playing.  Names and scores wouldn't take up that much space in a database. 
I dunno about others but I am always reticient about entering my email, I hate spam. (No offence)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:35 pm »
Ah, my grasp was lagging - but that's pretty usual!

In terms of guests I was really trying to avoid forcing any bookwork data entry before play. Entering name and password is actually something I dislike doing myself in terms of trying new browser games. I know it's not much to do, but if I sit down to game (particularly a new game) then I haven't sat down to do bookwork. Anyway, each guest is actually an entry in the database as is - that way anyone who becomes a guest provides battling fodder for other players! Anyone who plays continues to have an effect! I was just wondering if people who sign up as guests might latter think 'oh, I'd like to try it again...but I can't get access to the skill I developed...oh, screw starting again, I'll leave it'. Though it's possible anyone who doesn't register just wont be coming back anyway.

Coding: I coded it in PHP. Learnt PHP from some great tutorials over here, by a guy called Hallsofvalhalla. Really good tutes, basic steps, I recommend watching atleast the first five.

I'm hoping to work with unity3d at some point in the future (which again I got help from Halls with connecting it to a database).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:41 pm »
Quite a few additions since last time - A gym, a yard where you can grow food to eat or sell the excess, and a moves system you can optionally use (by default it's on). I really like the yard system because each click on the fight, main or gym pages is recorded and each day more food grows in the yard, relative to it - then any extra that builds up is sold to an NPC store, which sets up how much game money will be distributed at the end of a fight cycle.

http://fightcycle.freehostingcloud.com/login.php