[TUC Spoiler] Heron Spear?

• 52 Replies

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 09:02:24 pm »
It's the Sun Lance.

What happened to the Heron spear is a mystery. However, if the No-God 2.0 doesn't have chorae on the carapace I don't think the "good" guys would need it anymore to destroy it, no?

You know, I actually took the no Chorae in the modified Carapace to be an upgrade by the Mutilated. It's been long assumed by a number of readers that the reason for the Chorae aren't for sorcerous protection but rather to perform some other function (soul-containment, whathaveyou, etc). It might follow that that's why Shauriatas was such important part of the Consult - besides breaking the Barricades - because their cabal didn't have the strictly Tekne know-how to start up the No-God. That Shauriatas jury rigged it to work with his sorcerous knowledge the first time.

By my reading, I interpreted the lack of Chorae to mean that the No-God functions better this time around.

Well that would be shitty, huh?  Everybody(the ones who survived, anyway) thinking maybe they have a weakness to exploit, and at the first major battle they discover to to instead be a new-found strength.  Que disaster, and the perishing of the second major force at the hands of the No-God.  Up next, the plains of Mengedda, since Bakker is such a fan of history repeating?
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 10:27:38 pm »
Well that would be shitty, huh?  Everybody(the ones who survived, anyway) thinking maybe they have a weakness to exploit, and at the first major battle they discover to to instead be a new-found strength.  Que disaster, and the perishing of the second major force at the hands of the No-God.  Up next, the plains of Mengedda, since Bakker is such a fan of history repeating?

Profgrape and I have discussed at length geographical choke points in Earwa where any humanity left might be able to mount a resistance...

Short list so far ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 01:49:09 am »
I thought the removal of the Chorae was to avoid turning a certain vital component to salt.

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 02:13:52 am »
I thought the removal of the Chorae was to avoid turning a certain vital component to salt.

kel hasnt used magic yet so chorae shouldnt effect him.
Odaini Concussion Cant first, ask questions later...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 02:20:32 am »

Further off topic but I haven't understood why people think the personality inhabiting the No-God should make a difference? The No-God 1.0 certainly didn't seem to retain Nau-Cayuti's tactical acumen.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 11:16:22 am »

It wasn't prepared for him.  The Consult prepared it for Kelhus, who is very much Marked.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 12:46:30 pm »

Further off topic but I haven't understood why people think the personality inhabiting the No-God should make a difference? The No-God 1.0 certainly didn't seem to retain Nau-Cayuti's tactical acumen.
Do we know that? It's described as a leader, and Nau-Cayuti was brutally tortured then shown the Inverse-Fire. Not to mention whatever horror becoming a component of the No-God must involve. They're bound to be different afterwards.

Of course "You can't prove it isn't still Nau-Cayuti in there" is a pretty terrible argument, admittedly.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 01:17:13 pm »
Of course "You can't prove it isn't still Nau-Cayuti in there" is a pretty terrible argument, admittedly.

You've always been a salve to my opinion of peoples generally :).

Glad you're back.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 01:28:35 pm »
That's actually one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Now I feel bad about rooting for the Consult.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 02:46:35 pm »
That's actually one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Now I feel bad about rooting for the Consult.

You keep doing you 8).

And don't feel bad, I'm just some asshole like Achamian who knows his sins and impending damnation and would still be an idiot and fight the Consult for the World anyways ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Azuredarkness

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2017, 08:45:17 am »
Is it the Sun Lance, though?

Aurang struck the ensorcelled Mirinotic Gates with the Sun Lance (sister of the Heron Spear) before it exploded.

My bold.  Before what exploded?  The Gate or the Sun Lance?  Could be read either way, but seems to imply the Sun Lance exploded.

Technically, if it were the Gates (note the plural) it would have been "before they exploded". So the only grammatically correct candidate is the Sun Lance.

Moosehunter

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 09:38:03 am »

Profgrape and I have discussed at length geographical choke points in Earwa where any humanity left might be able to mount a resistance...

Short list so far ;).

Zeum.

The Osthwai Mountains although the eastern end presents problems.

Back through the Gates to Eanna or through Jekk.

Nilnamesh.

Okay i'm done. Zeum seems the only safe option but realistically mountains don't seem to present problems for Sranc as the Yimaleti was described as their mother/cradle or something.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 10:45:14 am »

Zeum.

Nilnamesh.

Okay i'm done. Zeum seems the only safe option but realistically mountains don't seem to present problems for Sranc as the Yimaleti was described as their mother/cradle or something.

The Sranc can live in mountains just fine, that doesn't mean that they're good terrain for them to fight on.  The Bronzemen of Far Antiquity enjoyed considerable success against the Sranc of the Yimaleti until they were disbanded.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 01:39:32 pm »

Zeum.

Nilnamesh.

The Sranc can live in mountains just fine, that doesn't mean that they're good terrain for them to fight on.  The Bronzemen of Far Antiquity enjoyed considerable success against the Sranc of the Yimaleti until they were disbanded.

The Leash and the Knife, plus the fallout at Dagliash, aren't passable without some losses - though damn if the Sranc in the Celmomas Dream in TGO and No-God 2.0 taking out the Ordeal with Sranc don't remind me of the amazing feats of ants.

I've heard that the Glossary mentions Cnaiur and the Scylvendi fucking up Atrithau's forces. The Lonely City seems certain to finally fall to the Great Ruiner...

Hmm...
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2017, 02:01:27 am »
Atrithau's fall would probably end up mimicking the fall of Sauglish.
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.