Miscellaneous Chatter > RPG Discussion

[TSA P&P RPG] Setting/History collection Thread

<< < (2/5) > >>

Somnambulist:

--- Quote from: Callan S. on December 03, 2013, 02:37:29 am ---How do they refer to firstnames, when they put surnames first, generally?

--- End quote ---

I believe a 'first name' is referred to as a given name.

Callan S.:
I don't remember that in the books, but I'll run with that - I'd forgotten that RL term, heh!

Somnambulist:
Sorry, I misunderstood.  Given is real-world, don't know if Balked actually had his own term for it.

Wilshire:
I think Somnambulist and Kellais summed things up nicely. The farther back you set the game, the more it can be "chose your own adventure". The closer to the books, the more you might want to think about canon.

Wilshire:
Well I missed the first half of TDTCB, but here are some notes I've taken so far. Let me know if this is what you had in mind, or if you want more, less, something different, etc.

All spoiler tags are to reduce post length.
Ecosium Market [Sumna] —
(click to show/hide)"Coppersmiths hammering; the cry of a one-eyed man proclaiming the curative power of his sulphur products; barking dogs; the insistent begging of a man without legs; another man calling out the names of his meats; the harsh shouts of mule drivers beating their teams until they screamed. Unending sounds. And a welter of smells: dry summer stone, incense, the tug of roasting meat, feces, and smoke—everywhere the smell of smoke"
"A cracked amphora bleeding oil across a vendor’s mat; Young Galeoth slave girls negotiating the masses with downcast eyes and woven baskets of grain perched upon their heads"
"The hazy profile of the Junriüma rising in the distance"
Sudica [Area between Sumna and Momemn] -
(click to show/hide)"Valley of Sudica. Route south from Sumna to Momemn ... hoping only to avoid the heavily cultivated lands nearer the coast."
"Sudica had not been peopled for a very long time ... Home only to shepherds, their flocks of sheep, and ruins."
"Nansur was not a dry country, but its character was such that it always reminded Achamian of one."
"Its people were densely clustered around the rivers and the coasts, leaving large expanses of land that were inhospitable only because of their vulnerability to the Scylvendi."
"Sudica was such a place. In the days of Kyraneas, Achamian had read, it had been one of the great provinces, the birthplace of generals and of ruling dynasties. Now there were only sheep and half-buried stone."
Batathent [ Ruins between Sumna and Momemn] -
(click to show/hide)"The most famous landmark of Sudica was the ruined fortress-temple of Batathent."
"The immense truncated walls spilled into gravel. Obviously the site had been raided over the years for its granite and bright limestone."
"All that remained of the temple within were rows of massive columns, far too imposing, Achamian supposed, to be pulled down and dragged to the coast."
"Batathent had been one of the few strongholds to survive the collapse of Kyraneas during the First Apocalypse, a sanctuary for those fleeing the hunting parties of Scylvendi and Sranc."
"Sudica passed without demarcation - more hills, more stony earth"
Gate of Pelts – “Immense tan towers”

Karian Way and Pon Way [Roads between Sumna and Momemn] —
(click to show/hide)“A relic of the Ceneian Empire, though kept in good repair by the Emperor. It ran straight through the province of Massentia, which in summer people called the Golden because of its endless fields of grain. The problem with the Karian Way was that it struck deep into the Kyranae Plains rather than heading directly toward Momemn. More than a thousand years before, it had linked Holy Sumna to ancient Cenei. Now it was maintained only so far as it serviced Massentia; it trailed into pasture, Esmenet had been told, after intersecting the far more important Pon Way, which did lead to Momemn.”
“Cenian Aqueduct  parsed the near distances, crumbling into small fields of debris where the locals had pillaged stone.”
Massentia: “What characterized Massentia, She had heard, was the fact that it possessed few of the great plantations that dominated so much of the Empire. Massentia was a land of free yeomen and craftsmen. Forthright. Honest. Proud. Or so she had heard.”
[Outside Momemn]
(click to show/hide)“River Phayus and its congested alluvial plains”
“… crossed a creaking foot bridge over a canal”
“Winding circuit of Momemn’s walls… Monstrous towers capped by the glow of torchlight”Ainoni
“Ainoni drama held in an ampetheartere near Carythusal”

[Cultural Dress]
Galeoth, stripped to the waist and painted for some festival that apparently confused winter for summer
Thunyeri, sporting the black-iron hauberks they never seemed to shed;
Ainoni nobleman, whose elaborate gowns looked positively ludicrous amid

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version