Earwa > The Almanac: PON Edition

TDTCB, Ch. 1

<< < (2/9) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---
--- Quote ---I had plodded through a very thorough piece for this chapter and after three hours of writing on Monday morning at my buddy's house then forgot about automatic logins and timeouts on forums. Lost to the Netherworld.
--- End quote ---
Oh god, sorry man! I know how that feels!

lockesnow: What did Achamian predict? Okay, I'll admit I'm following along these posts - haven't busted out the books again?

"You know spies.. bunch of whiny little bitches!"
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Tony P ---Madness:
Sucks about losing your drafted post... Good points about Geshrunni's face and Akka's face in Seswatha's dreams. I noted them while reading, but couldn't remember them when writing my post.

--- Quote from: generic ---One minor thing that jumped out at me is that Akka is absolutely convinced that the Spire will wipe the floor with the Cish even after he learned that they pulled something off he previously considered unthinkable. And he seems to know very little about them. Why the confidence?
--- End quote ---

I assume because Akka has torn a few Cishaurim down, enabling him to realistically assess their power, and because the Scarlet Spires are simply that powerful. There could be an element of Akka favouring what he knows best, and he is quite familiar with the reach of the SS thanks to being stationed in Carythusal and his work as a sorcerer and spy for so long.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---No worries, thanks for the condolences. Brushed it off my shoulder day of and if I haven't learned my lesson, it'll happen again lol.

I'm not sure I was trying to make comparison between Geshrunni and Achamian's Dream as much as:

(click to show/hide)In TJE, Sauglish is a Dream missing Seswatha entirely. It's interesting to note that, perhaps, only the same Dreams have changed throughout the books.
Achamian clearly spends some time ruminating about the Scarlet Spires preeminence as a School within the Three Seas. He also suggests that the Cishaurim's sorcery is almost equal to any other sorcery, excepting - the pretty big deal - that no Schoolman - also said explicitly in the quotes Tony and I used above - can see the Cishaurim as the Few.

Any idea what gave you that feel initially, generic?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Tony P ---
--- Quote from: Madness ---I'm not sure I was trying to make comparison between Geshrunni and Achamian's Dream as much as:

(click to show/hide)In TJE, Sauglish is a Dream missing Seswatha entirely. It's interesting to note that, perhaps, only the same Dreams have changed throughout the books.
--- End quote ---

I know, I wasn't trying to link the separate points ;)

Spoilers for The Judging Eye:
(click to show/hide)It's obvious from The Judging Eye onwards that Akka's dreams about Seswatha change. It was only on rereading TDTCB that I realised he also started with dreams that were slightly different from the norm.

Geshrunni's face being removed is probably related to the skin-spies, or it's just a signifier of Aurangs' cruelty.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Lol, of course, this is the inherent risk of spoiler tags beyond the thread title.

For brevity, however:

(click to show/hide)I had always thought §1.3 The Watcher & §1.5 Faceless Geshrunni awkward passages because I didn't think that the Skin-Spies needed their victims actual faces to disguise them - something I thought Bakker had initially written and then decided against committing too in the later books. I realized this reread - though I've likely experienced this realization before - that the Skin-Spies might kill and skin the faces from those they intend to impersonate, simply because an identified body really would interfere with a Skin-Spy being a specific person.

If I remember correctly Eleazaras comments near the end of TDTCB on only one other faceless body ever being found in High Ainon years before. Chepheramunni?
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version