Earwa > The Almanac: PON Edition

The Slog TDTCB - Part Five: The Holy War [Spoilers]

<< < (3/5) > >>

H:
Finished chapter 16.

--- Quote ---And yet he still found himself troubled . . . Something odd about his Prime Counsel’s manner.
--- End quote ---

This is the first mention of Xerius noticing anything odd about Skeaös, which still, to me, points to him being replaced rather recently.

H:
Finished the book, glad to be through, WP will be the longest of our Slog.

EDIT: Nearly forgot this part:

--- Quote ---“Thousands of years ago, when the Dûnyain first found—”
“After the ancient wars?” Kellhus eagerly interrupted. “When we were still refugees?”
--- End quote ---

So, they do teach young Kellhus at least something of ancient history...

--- Quote ---. . . even though the skin-spies were exposed relatively early in the course of the Holy War, most believed the Cishaurim rather than the Consult to be responsible. This is the problem of all great revelations: their significance so often exceeds the frame of our comprehension. We understand only after, always after. Not simply when it is too late, but precisely because it is too late.
—DRUSAS ACHAMIAN, COMPENDIUM OF THE FIRST HOLY WAR
--- End quote ---

I found the most interesting thing to be the above, the epigraph of chapter 19.

While I have reservations about the Serwë as a god-maker, yet this chapter begins with her and Kellhus is presenting her with the rhetoric of her "meaning."

But then there is the part with Akka:

--- Quote ---After three hundred years, he, Drusas Achamian, had rediscovered the Consult. After two thousand years, he, Drusas Achamian, had witnessed the return of an Anasûrimbor. Anagkë, the Whore of Fate, had chosen him for these burdens! It wasn’t his place to ask why. Nor could such questions relieve him of his burden.
--- End quote ---

I am not really on board with Akka as Anagkë's agent.  More like, Seswatha's really.  I've always maintained that the parallel between Seswatha and Akka is somewhat strong.  Gnostic sorcerer, once friend of an Anasûrimbor emperor then estranged, partly by the love of a favored wife.

--- Quote ---“You are the first, Chigra,” Skeaös wheezed—an ambient, horrifying whisper. “And you will be the last . . .”
--- End quote ---

The first what?  The first to resist the Consult?

MSJ:
The first to see their true face I believe. Also, I wasn't making the claim that Akka is a tool of Anagke, only if others thought that's what it meant. I agree with you H, I believe Seswatha is pushing him along his path.

Wilshire:
I think it's mentioned in an early section but I can't remember which... anyway, Cnaiur mentions that there are only 2 cities north of the steppe, Sakarpus being one of them. Post PoN this city is actual south of the steppe. So not only is it changed on the map but it's actually mentioned in the text as well as being somewhere different.

Madness:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on December 15, 2015, 06:04:17 pm ---"You are the first, Chigra, and you will be the last" the thing call Skeaos said.....

The last what?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: MSJ on December 18, 2015, 03:08:27 pm ---The first to see their true face I believe.

--- End quote ---

That'd be my guess, considering the next thing the skin-spy does is try and pop Achamian's grape with its facial limbs. This scene informed much of my Untitled fan-fiction at Bakker's blog.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version