Earwa > The Almanac: PON Edition

TDTCB, Ch. 12

<< < (5/6) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Meyna ---
--- Quote ---“If all men are ignorant of the origins of their thoughts…” Cnaiur said.
Anxious to clear the brush, their horses galloped the last few lengths to open, endless ground.
“Then all men are deceived.”
Kellhus secured his gaze for a crucial instant. “They act for reasons that are not their own.”
Will he see?
“Like slaves…” Cnaiur began, a stunned scowl on his face. Then he recalled at whom he looked. “But you say this simply to exonerate yourself! What does it matter enslaving slaves, eh, Dunyain?”
“So long as what comes before remains shrouded, so long as men are already deceived, what does it matter?”
--- End quote ---

This exchange says a lot, I think. The Dunyain have no qualms about using others as mind slaves in order to walk the shortest path. This is reinforced by Moenghus:

--- Quote ---“Where no paths exist,” Moënghus had continued, “a man strays only when he misses his destination. There is no crime, no transgression, no sin save foolishness or incompetence, and no obscenity save the tyranny of custom.”
--- End quote ---

If we take them at their word, the Dunyain are prepared to do anything to stay on the shortest path.

What's curious is that both Kellhus and Moenghus independently think in these terms, yet they are supposed to be the first two Dunyain to interact with world-born men in God knows how long. Have the Dunyain explicitly prepared themselves to master the world-born? How, exactly, can they conceive of goals in the world from which they shape the minds of men? It would seem that the Dunyain have been training for much more than attaining the absolute in seclusion. Apologies for speculating in the almanac!
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---No worries, Meyna. It refers to the chapter :). Perfectly reasonable questions - though I feel like this bears on another thread we were having.

lockesnow, I'm definitely missing what you are getting at.

(click to show/hide)I was referring to the idea that we've had retrospectively that Kellhus survives too easily whenever he's in danger - He would have died in the snow without Leweth and he would have died on the Barrows without Cnaiur... I would certainly agree that someone is probably watching Cnaiur, though not on the evidence of feeling like a God.
Also, much of what you highlight reads like a concussion.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---I think the Moenghus' face appeared before his soul's eye is potentially a flag.  Particularly after TJE, the phrase soul's eye seems like a buried indicator of something.   Also note the bit, 'where did these thoughts come from' and compare it to 'from what darkness did this come', and also how he went to the barrows not because it was his idea, but because the thought to go to the barrows preceded him.

From where do those thoughts come for Cnaiur?   We shouldn't narrow our focus only to Kellhus narrowly surviving, but also notice that Cnaiur narrowly survives.  Esmenet narrowly survives.  Serwe narrowly survives. Whether or not this is the world or moenghus conspiring, it is hard to say.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: generic ---Hadn't noticed before Madness brought it up but it might have been a face right out of his dreams because Moengus had been harassing him. Don't think that would have all that many implications except to explain why Cnaiur went to the graves/ was restless.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Lol, generic, I'm not sure if I got you to notice it or lockesnow...

But to both of you, I don't buy into Moenghus' manipulating dreams - though, lockesnow is swaying me a little.

My personal theory is that the agency of the Gods is expressed through the narrative. Fate is the World, the World is Fate's cracked urn - perhaps, also a key word. Is Anagke a normal Goddess?

Segue aside, in order of probable cause: Fate, God, Gods, and lastly, Moenghus as possible instigators for Cnaiur going to the Barrows.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version