Earwa > The Almanac: PON Edition

TDTCB, Ch. 12

<< < (6/6)

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Meyna ---
--- Quote from: Madness ---Moenghus as possible instigators for Cnaiur going to the Barrows.
--- End quote ---

It certainly puts a new spin on Kellhus' constantly thinking to himself in terms of talking to Moenghus.

--- Quote ---“Sorcery? Is this among the lessons I’m to learn, Father?" (p33)
--- End quote ---

Etc.

Kellhus knows that Moenghus is pulling the strings, via dreams or otherwise.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---Why the resistence to Moenghus' dream manipulations when we're told on the first graph of the Kellhus prologue that Moenghus is sending dreams?  And as Meyna points out, what are the implications of Kellhus' internal dialogue TO Moenghus?

As readers we take it for granted that we get to see the thoughts/internal monologue of the characters.  How do we know that Moenghus is not "reading" the narrative the way we are?  How do we know that something we assume to be an internal monologue is actually a monologue, why couldn't it be a dialogue?

Are the Dunyain (or at least Moenghus) aware of RSB's presence in the story?  Are the Dunyain akin to Daffy Duck in Duck Amuck?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqQat8Jys4

I think I want to ask RSB those last two questions...
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---My resistance stems from the fact that it is far more elegant for Moenghus to condition a measure of the world like social clockwork and then Kellhus sets it like a spring wherever he comes into contact with it - Cnaiur, in this case.

(As an aside here, I think that Moenghus had to have been instrumental in Zirkirta. Is it his first attempt to clear the path for Kellhus - condition the road from Ishual? When Cnaiur beat them, Moenghus has to make sure that the Pilgrim's Route to Shimeh was closed so he sent Maithanet to dominate the Thousand Temples and declare Holy War on Fanimry?)

Yes, Moenghus used sorcery as aspects of this plan but when it becomes dependent on this, I don't care how powerful Moenghus is in the Psukhe, it feels like a cop-out... Really then, he used none of his Dunyain ability and just relied on Scrying and some Psukhe version of the Cant of Calling. That's acceptable, I guess, it's just not as elegant, robs the story of some of its magic.

Also, from Ch. 4 thread
--- Quote from: Madness ---"These were the events upon which the world turned. Enough for a Goddess. 'Please ... Speak to me.' Nothing. Tears branched across his face. He raised his arms, held them open until his shoulders burned. 'Anything!' he cried. Run, his thoughts whispered. Run. Such a coward! How could he be such a coward?" (p133)

(click to show/hide)This is an increasingly interesting chapter... I mean, in light of WLW, we could argue that this is in fact Onkis, warning Inrau, answering him, through her agency, the medium of his thoughts - Bakker spelled out certain Inrithi beliefs concerning Onkis moments before. The bolded part reflects the ideas about where and when Gods can actually utilize their agency and affect the World and what little we know of Kahiht, even at the point of WLW.
--- End quote ---

(click to show/hide)I'd have to hazard that the Gods express themselves at some point throughout the novels as I said above. Explicitly like those Moments when Sorweel feels "'Yes.' A noise more kicked out of his lungs than spoken. Never!" (TJE, p550) in response to Kellhus' description of Sorweel bending knee - Yatwer's Mask. Sorweel is the cypher because clearly this has been going on the whole series.
We can't very well give every moment of possible supernatural agency to Moenghus as much as I've espoused that he accounted for everything & more in his probablity trance.

As to Meyna's thoughts... Kellhus' father is the only one equal to Kellhus - I've read and heard many recommendations to imagine or write mock conversations between great minds of the past and try and pit them against each other as consistently to their characters and as imaginatively as their breadth of expressions. Those are moments when Kellhus has explicitly run against a novel circumstance and he must reflect on what to do next.

In that vein, I think it's far more telling that Kellhus seems to stop asking his Father questions after the Circumfix (though, my memory is hazy for these, so please contradict).
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Duskweaver ---
--- Quote from: Madness ---we could argue that this is in fact Onkis, warning Inrau, answering him, through her agency, the medium of his thoughts
--- End quote ---
And you spotted the "branched across his face" bit, right? The symbol of Onkis.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---No but +1. Wow. Staring me right in the face.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version