Miscellaneous Chatter > General Misc.

What are you watching?

<< < (70/72) > >>

sciborg2:

--- Quote from: TaoHorror on April 15, 2021, 12:03:32 pm ---Starz are mother-fuckers, I tell ya. First they cancel Boss ( incomplete ) and then Counterpart ( quazi complete, but had more gas in the story to tell ) and now American Gods ( serious cliffhanger ). Really? I'm guessing because it wasn't watched by enough people, but plenty of people waited for the entire thing to be released to binge watch it, like myself. Anyways, I loved the show, some killer gay/trans sex going on near the end of season 3 ( an extraordinary scene, amazing render of unrepressed human love ).

I guess I'll have to finish the book to learn the end ( found the book boring - but I guess I suffer a lack of imagination given how beautiful the show is ). Still worth watching even though the story "ends" on a cliffhanger.

--- End quote ---

Gaiman's book, while the inspiration, does feel less exciting than the show...but then I read the book years ago. I do recall enjoying it, so it's probably worth a library rental at the least?

TaoHorror:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 on April 15, 2021, 04:41:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: TaoHorror on April 15, 2021, 12:03:32 pm ---Starz are mother-fuckers, I tell ya. First they cancel Boss ( incomplete ) and then Counterpart ( quazi complete, but had more gas in the story to tell ) and now American Gods ( serious cliffhanger ). Really? I'm guessing because it wasn't watched by enough people, but plenty of people waited for the entire thing to be released to binge watch it, like myself. Anyways, I loved the show, some killer gay/trans sex going on near the end of season 3 ( an extraordinary scene, amazing render of unrepressed human love ).

I guess I'll have to finish the book to learn the end ( found the book boring - but I guess I suffer a lack of imagination given how beautiful the show is ). Still worth watching even though the story "ends" on a cliffhanger.

--- End quote ---

Gaiman's book, while the inspiration, does feel less exciting than the show...but then I read the book years ago. I do recall enjoying it, so it's probably worth a library rental at the least?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's a weakness of mine, I get lost with too much description in books. I make the mistake thinking I have to visualize it accurately in order to understand it. I think I would've understood the TSA books better if I didn't let myself get bogged down in the environment details. I think that's why I gave up on American Gods, I didn't appreciate the scenery of it enough. Watching the tv show was a trip as I'm recollecting the parts of the book and I'm like, I no way visualized it that cool.

sciborg2:

--- Quote from: TaoHorror on April 15, 2021, 04:57:45 pm ---
--- Quote from: sciborg2 on April 15, 2021, 04:41:25 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's a weakness of mine, I get lost with too much description in books. I make the mistake thinking I have to visualize it accurately in order to understand it. I think I would've understood the TSA books better if I didn't let myself get bogged down in the environment details. I think that's why I gave up on American Gods, I didn't appreciate the scenery of it enough. Watching the tv show was a trip as I'm recollecting the parts of the book and I'm like, I no way visualized it that cool.

--- End quote ---

I do think the show took things to another level, just as Rats of Nimh the movie exceeds its bookish origins. :-)

Rewatching The Wire...it's actually better than I remember....

TaoHorror:
Bloodlands

I had to write about this one right away. Just watched it, new release on AcornTV ( Amazon's Britt channel, add-on to Prime service ). Great story - the story is better than the execution, but still well done, strong acting. Won't say any more, hee hee! If you dig True Detective and Dublin Murders, you'll like this. The Irish, besting the Britts with their cop shows, impressive! Not really, Luthor is on par with this stuff as well, but the first 2 Irish crime shows I see out of the gate and they're winners. These are the kinds of stories I've been missing from cool tv. The Irish are some dark mother fuckers, I tell ya - my kind of people!

H:

--- Quote from: TaoHorror on May 31, 2021, 11:07:35 pm ---Bloodlands
--- End quote ---

Huh, might have to check this out.

If you weren't watching Mare of Easttown though, I think it is another good option.  Nothing revolutionary, but the show (to me) is very well written and well acted, even if it is a bit formulaic.  But it doesn't pull any punches really.  The show is complete as on Sunday, 7 episodes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version