Earwa > The Almanac: PON Edition

TDTCB, Ch. 2

<< < (2/5) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Twooars ---Simas
(click to show/hide)What I don't understand is, if Simas was a skin-spy at the time of the events in this chapter, why is Aurang (as the Synthese) surprised that Inrau identified him (chapter 4)? Shouldn't he have known what the skin spies know? And what would Simas and the Consult gain by helping send Akka to Sumna (and thereby involving him deeply in the Holy War)? ETA: Okay, I should have read Happy Ent's post properly, that bit about Maithanet makes sense.

There is nothing here that seriously suggests that Simas was a skin-spy at this time... maybe Simas was replaced much later?
But maybe, the skin-spies do not report directly to Aurang. And maybe Sarcellus knows about the connection between Inrau and Akka through some sort of local spy network?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sologdin ---re: simas--

(click to show/hide)
--- Quote ---There is nothing here that seriously suggests that Simas was a skin-spy at this time... maybe Simas was replaced much later?
--- End quote ---
quoting my post above: 
--- Quote ---j ) “He’d never seen Simas like this” (I.2 at 65) and “the man’s eyes had yet to fail” (I.2 at 71) - noted for now.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: generic ---The last words of the chapter are: "a Mandate Schoolman had turned traitor". That should settle the question of timing, no?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---
--- Quote from: generic ---The last words of the chapter are: "a Mandate Schoolman had turned traitor". That should settle the question of timing, no?
--- End quote ---

I agree. This seems to suggest that there is already a traitor among them, and its hard to believe that there was ... someone else ... that was a traitor around that time. Considering their spys had been going missing for some time, all over the world, it would be safe to assume that its not a general field spy that was the traitor. It would need to be someone down in Atyersus that had knowledge of where the spies where. If its not, well if its not who we know it is, then that would mean there would have been more than one person, lurking around Atyersus, leaking information about their spies that the Mandate was unable to detect.

It has to be someone high up with intimate knowledge of many spies locations, assuming every cabin boy isn't told the whereabouts of their spys.

So yes there is plenty of evidence to suggest that the spy in the Mandate at this time is the same as the one we are told about later. Unless you believe the Mandate simply turn on each other on a whim. 1 traitor is an exception, 2 means there are and have been much more, and that seems silly knowing about Seswatha's dreams and all that.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow --- (click to show/hide)There are all sorts of little flags from Akka's perspective that Simas is a skin spy.  He just doesn't know, and is especially blind to this sort of thing (Akka's biggest flaw is he is so devoted to his own intelligence).

I've not yet finished the chapter, but i just noticed there is an entire paragraph devoted to positioning Inrau on the Mimara axis of forgiveness. 

It's pointed out with italics and everything that for Inrau, forgiveness precedes
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version