Miscellaneous Chatter > Literature

Stephen R. Donaldson

(1/3) > >>

BeardFisher-King:
Thing Called Sarcellus showed interest in SRD's latest, The Seventh Decimate, so I thought I'd start a thread for all things Donaldson.

I enjoyed Seventh Decimate for its simpler structure. A single POV from the protagonist, a prince fighting for his kingdom's survival. Donaldson is very good at constructing characters with conflicting motivations and at describing the mental conflict and how it resolves into action.

NB: No spoilers for Seventh Decimate for awhile (till 2/1?)

Thing called Sarcellus:
First of all I will say that I find Donaldsons writing in this book rather weak compared to his other works.  As if it were more aimed at juvenile readers.

(Mild spoilers)

Although it is interesting to have firearms in a fantasy setting, while everyone else is stuck using medieval technology, to introduce a breach loaded, clip fed, bolt action rifle that was developed in secret was much too far fetched for me.  Like we are looking at 400+ years of technological development done by a handful of guys in a few decades just working out of that back room over there.  We will just skip over the Renaissance AND the industrial revolution, with NONE of the necessary tech required trickling down into your civilization.  Why not use some of the machines that would be mandatory for rifle constructuon to manufacture some farming equipment to aid your impoverous and starving nation?  Although it was a good idea to invent rifle tech as a super weapon to kill wizards, you know what would have been a superior super weapon?  ARTILLERY!

Wilshire:
Haven't read this particular Donaldson, but if you're interested in a similar "guns to counter magics" idea, you might try Promise of Blood (first book in The Powder Mage trilogy written by Brian McClellan).

... Though thinking on it, its more that magic exists alongside guns (not familiar with time period or terminology, but they are black powder, front loaded, single shot, lead ball guns)  during whatever time period that is, so maybe not the same thing.

Probably enough derailing from me though.

MSJ:
I've read the first 2 of the Gap Cycle. To me, they were ok, but nothing is call groundbreaking. But, ibwithold my verdict until I finish.

I guess that I'm fairly new to sci-fi, but I have read a few series in the past year or so. Gap Cycle would be near the bottom of a very short list.

BeardFisher-King:

--- Quote from: MSJ on January 04, 2018, 06:57:44 pm ---I've read the first 2 of the Gap Cycle. To me, they were ok, but nothing is call groundbreaking. But, ibwithold my verdict until I finish.

I guess that I'm fairly new to sci-fi, but I have read a few series in the past year or so. Gap Cycle would be near the bottom of a very short list.

--- End quote ---

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised as you continue the series. The stakes continue to be raised in the final three books. Book 1, "The Real Story", is the weakest book. Just not much going on, it seems. Persevere, my friend. The hard-SF just gets harder. And Donaldson's "zone implants", well, let's just say that Bakker is not alone in tackling the moral implications of neuroscience.

"We have committed a crime against your soul". This mantra runs through the series. In my youth, I read those words somewhat indifferently, as I recall. "What's the diff, as long as the story's good?" was my thinking. But my thinking changed between reading Donaldson and reading Bakker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version