Earwa > General Q&A

Do Nonmen have princes/princesses?

<< < (2/2)

SmilerLoki:

--- Quote from: ThoughtsOfThelli on August 06, 2018, 05:12:06 pm ---If I remember correctly, Nil'giccas was actually both Qûya and Ishroi, right?

--- End quote ---
Strictly speaking, I only remember him being referred to as King (everywhere) and Quya (by Achamian and Mimara when they were traveling with him), but not as Ishroi.

It might be that since he's a sorcerer, he can't be Ishroi by default.

ThoughtsOfThelli:

--- Quote from: SmilerLoki on August 06, 2018, 05:24:35 pm ---
--- Quote from: ThoughtsOfThelli on August 06, 2018, 05:12:06 pm ---If I remember correctly, Nil'giccas was actually both Qûya and Ishroi, right?

--- End quote ---
Strictly speaking, I only remember him being referred to as King (everywhere) and Quya (by Achamian and Mimara when they were traveling with him), but not as Ishroi.

It might be that since he's a sorcerer, he can't be Ishroi by default.

--- End quote ---

I think that Achamian (and then by extension Mimara) referred to him as an Ishroi at several points. But this was before they knew his actual identity, so I might have formed a mistaken assumption that the two are not mutually exclusive from this case...

EDIT: This was what I was thinking of:

--- Quote from: TJE, Chapter 14 ---"His Mark means he's old … older than you could imagine. And that means he's not only a Qûya Mage, but Ishroi, a Nonman noble …"
--- End quote ---
Akka seems to think they're not mutually exclusive.

Wilshire:
That line is further curious, as age is the delimiting factor for Nobel, not birthright. That line specifically makes it sound like there were no more nobles after a certain time period.

My earlier point was more to the effect that titles were dropped at some point from the annuls. Humans writing down the history of the Nonmen might have thought it pointless to transcribe old titles? Or some kind of translation difficulty - could be the titles are actually in their names. Like the Cil' prefix meaning Prince, or something... Just spitballing.

SmilerLoki:

--- Quote from: ThoughtsOfThelli on August 06, 2018, 05:27:08 pm ---EDIT: This was what I was thinking of:

--- Quote from: TJE, Chapter 14 ---"His Mark means he's old … older than you could imagine. And that means he's not only a Qûya Mage, but Ishroi, a Nonman noble …"
--- End quote ---
Akka seems to think they're not mutually exclusive.

--- End quote ---
This actually makes me think it's more of a case of inconsistent terminology. Which is nice and realistic.

ThoughtsOfThelli:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on August 06, 2018, 07:23:43 pm ---That line is further curious, as age is the delimiting factor for Nobel, not birthright. That line specifically makes it sound like there were no more nobles after a certain time period.
--- End quote ---

Makes sense that it would be so after everyone that was still around was immortal, with the majority of them on the way to becoming Erratic.

--- Quote from: Wilshire on August 06, 2018, 07:23:43 pm ---My earlier point was more to the effect that titles were dropped at some point from the annuls. Humans writing down the history of the Nonmen might have thought it pointless to transcribe old titles? Or some kind of translation difficulty - could be the titles are actually in their names. Like the Cil' prefix meaning Prince, or something... Just spitballing.

--- End quote ---

I see, it could have been the case as well. We should never underestimate the issues caused by translation difficulties and mistakes...

--- Quote from: SmilerLoki on August 06, 2018, 08:04:35 pm ---This actually makes me think it's more of a case of inconsistent terminology. Which is nice and realistic.

--- End quote ---

Very true.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version