Earwa > The Almanac: PON Edition

Forum Re-read

<< < (3/6) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---
--- Quote from: Madness ---lockesnow, your idea has an incredible retro feel - whether its associated with my earliest memories or a conceptual "retro," I'm not sure.
--- End quote ---
Thanks, I was intentionally trying to invoke two things: one, the old school chapter descriptions found in 19th century table of contents; two the use of § to invoke a sense of academic rigor.   Both takes kind of have a mustiness (or retroness, I suppose) to them.

Oh and I changed the above to read P.1 etc rather than 1.1 etc since it's prologue, not chapter 1.

I also would like to use § just as a way to better catalog what I'm talking about, for TJE reread on the ASoIaF forum, I kept having to make irritating, passive, lengthy descriptions about 'in the next section' etc, when breaking something down with a close reading of the text. 

Also, using the § is useful as a way to helpfully catalog some things like Seswatha dreams: for example TDTCB 1.4 is Seswatha 1: The Celmomian Prophecy, and TDTCB 15.3 is Seswatha 2: Celmomian Prophecy Repeat/Variant (in other words, there is only one Seswatha dream Akka has 'on-screen' in TDTCB).  Then it becomes easier (for me) to refer to something like, "well we see in Seswatha 5..."
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---I motion we start on the Fifteenth.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---To me the point of re reading is to make it so that new people could come in and have a place to go where they could have questioned answered. If there are a lot of spoilers there would not be much of a point. Then again it depends on what the point of the re-read is.

If it is to just further enlighten the already bright halls of our understanding that spoilers would be fine.
If it is to brighten the dark rooms of those who are not so privileged, then spoilers would be pointless. and counter productive.

The question to spoil or not to spoil can be answered, I think, by answering this question.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---There's not actually a question mark in your post...

And I'd say the point of a re-read, for me, is to play capture the flag(s).
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---Sorry about that. I hope that didnt make it too hard to understand.
Capture the flag is all well and good but will everyone be on an even playing field. Its not fun to play if someone is telling everyone where all the flags are hidden before we get to them.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version