Earwa > The Almanac: PON Edition

Forum Re-read

<< < (2/6) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Imparrhas ---Why not make a reread subforum? This way we're free to use spoilers and we won't flood the subforums for the old books with all those separate chapter topics. You could also sticky all topics and they'd always be in order.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---I'm going to make a reread subforum. I disagree with the free ranging spoilers, as it is alienating to a certain number of readers. We're trying to attract Bakker new readers, not push them away because they can't enter any of the subforums. I maintain that we should limit ourselves to commenting on only things that have happened as we reread and continue making spoiler related posts and threads in Misc. Chatter and The Unholy Consult as we're inspired by the reread.

However, I'm no dictator, so I'll leave that the discretion of the Council here before we begin. We should pick a date, soonish, and perhaps try and maintain a five day window per chapter for reading and posting. I know its a slog but a week feels too long.

Cheers.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---I'm going to make a reread subforum. I disagree with the free ranging spoilers, as it is alienating to a certain number of readers. We're trying to attract Bakker new readers, not push them away because they can't enter any of the subforums. I maintain that we should limit ourselves to commenting on only things that have happened as we reread and continue making spoiler related posts and threads in Misc. Chatter and The Unholy Consult as we're inspired by the reread.

However, I'm no dictator, so I'll leave that the discretion of the Council here before we begin. We should pick a date, soonish, and perhaps try and maintain a five day window per chapter for reading and posting. I know its a slog but a week feels too long.

Cheers.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Imparrhas ---Pfft. You learned about ยง in college? They made us use it in highschool.

Five days is good for me. If we do TJE and WLW after this then there are 93 chapters total. At five days per chapter that is 465 days total or about 1.25 years.
If it's just PoN then it would be 310 days or a little under a year. TUC is set to come out in about half a year I believe. If we want to be done before TUC then it would have to be 2 chapters per five days which is probably too much.
An alternative is to just disregard the TUC release. We'll do a slower, structured reread of PoN and people like me who need to reread TAE 1-2 before TUC comes out can do so on their own. It will be a bit weird to read part of PoN -> TAE -> rest of PoN, but hey. Better than trying to cram in two chapters every five days.
Then later we could have a structured reread of all of TAE.

I see your point about spoilers and new readers, Madness. Of course we do have
(click to show/hide)these things We could use them like this

--- Quote from: TDTCB, Ch. 1 --- (click to show/hide)Akka almost gets salted
--- End quote ---
or
TDTCB, Ch. 1 (click to show/hide)Akka almost gets saltedIf lockesnow wants to share his spreadsheet it would be easy to find out where the spoilers come from and we could mark small spoilery observations like that. Big discussions full of spoilers would move to TUC or Misc. as you said.
What do you think?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---I'm down. I'm a big believer in communication, especially intentional acts of - the dialogue we have going on this forum, for instance.

We do have spoilers. Even these are walls that new readers cannot engage.

However, I suggest we don't think too much about timing our completion. Let's just dive in and immerse ourselves. We're riding the edge of novelty, people, as this will be the "first official Bakker forum reread, etc," etc, ever. Historical ;).

lockesnow, your idea has an incredible retro feel - whether its associated with my earliest memories or a conceptual "retro," I'm not sure.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version