Earwa > The Darkness That Comes Before

Trying to trace a scene...

<< < (2/2)

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Tony P --- (click to show/hide)I think it also explicitly happens in the first book, prior to Kiyuth, as a means to goad the Scylvendi. It's all part of Conphas' masterplan to wrongfoot the Scylvendi, in this instance to get them so mad they charge right away. It should be in the Cnaïur part, but I don't recall if it's him reminiscing or if it's from his eavesdropping on Conphas and Martemus.
Edited: I’ve found it, on page 180 and 182 of the TDTCB UK paperback:
(click to show/hide)In the beginning of Cnaürs pov, when the chieftains are holding a war council:
Xunnurit leand forward and spat across the grasses–a gesture of disrespect. “Foolishness? The Nansur shit, piss and poke asses on our hallowed land, Utemot.and
(click to show/hide) The thought dizzied Cnaïur with its implications. Suddenly, everything he had witnessed and heard since joining the horde possessed different meaning: the buggery of their Scylvendi captives, the mocking embassies, even the positioning of their privies–all calculated to gall the People into attacking.
--- End quote ---

citizensnips:

--- Quote from: What Came Before on April 19, 2013, 02:34:01 pm ---] The thought dizzied Cnaïur with its implications. Suddenly, everything he had witnessed and heard since joining the horde possessed different meaning: the buggery of their Scylvendi captives, the mocking embassies, even the positioning of their privies–all calculated to gall the People into attacking.
--- End quote ---

I always wondered what that line was supposed to mean. Like, did the Nansur send envoys to the Sclyvendi just to insult them? Wouldn't the Sclyvendi normally just kill foreign envoys who showed up at their doorstep, regardless of what they were saying?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version