Earwa > General Earwa

Benjuka

<< < (3/4) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Auriga ---Even more bizarre than Nomic, the game of http://dunx.org/mornomic/.

Interesting that benjuka came from an even more esoteric Nonman game. It seems like a very Nonman thing to do, playing a game that forces you to think up new rules and expand the horizons of your mind.

--- Quote from: Madness ---EDIT: Lol, it basically is the entire TTT Glossary excerpt.
--- End quote ---
The TSA wiki is basically the TTT Glossary plastered on teh intrawebs.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---True, true. I usually think myself more aware of remembering passages :P.

Nomic sounds damn close.

Do you think we'll see some mirqu in TUC?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Auriga ---
--- Quote from: Madness ---True, true. I usually think myself more aware of remembering passages :P.
--- End quote ---
Ah. I'm better at remembering little factoids than the actual descriptions, but I have all the TSA books on PDF files, so I noticed that the "PON wiki" looked suspiciously similar to the TTT Glossary...

--- Quote ---Nomic sounds damn close.
--- End quote ---
Yeah, nomic is probably Bakker's inspiration for benjuka. I personally don't see the similarities with go.

--- Quote ---Do you think we'll see some mirqu in TUC?
--- End quote ---
Possibly. The Nonmen must be doing something in Ishterebinth all these years. Repeating the same board-game, over and over, sounds like a way to spend your time without filling up your memory with new experiences.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---GO always struck me for its fluidity, perhaps? You've certainly opened my eyes in this thread, though, Auriga.

I really need to throw some quotes from The Glass Bead Game up here; it could be an inspiration for this elusive mirqu. Especially, as you've just reminded me, as in the book, players can "play" past games and it's reminiscent of our conversations about Nonmen acting out various dramas of their past over and over again.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Auriga ---
--- Quote from: Madness ---You've certainly opened my eyes in this thread, though, Auriga.
--- End quote ---
But I have always been opening your eyes, for Truth is unceasing......

;)

--- Quote ---I really need to throw some quotes from The Glass Bead Game up here; it could be an inspiration for this elusive mirqu. Especially, as you've just reminded me, as in the book, players can "play" past games and it's reminiscent of our conversations about Nonmen acting out various dramas of their past over and over again.
--- End quote ---
Yes! Hermann Hesse's Magister Ludi didn't enter my mind, although it fits perfectly. A great book. Although the glass-bead game is mostly about music, it covers philosophy as well. Also a perfect fit for a game that doesn't need an actual skill to play, but rather abstract wisdom.

I could definitely imagine the Nonmen having a game along those lines. (And even if Hesse's game wasn't Bakker's inspiration, so what? It still fits the Nonmen and their philosophizing really well.)

"It was the achievement of one individual which brought the Glass Bead Game almost in one leap to an awareness of its potentialities, and thus to the verge of its capacity for universal elaboration. And once again this advance was connected with music. A Swiss musicologist with a passion for mathematics gave a new twist to the Game, and thereby opened the way for its supreme development. [...] There was a passionate craving among all the intellectuals of his age for a means to express their new concepts. They longed for philosophy, for synthesis.
The erstwhile happiness of pure withdrawal each into his own discipline was now felt to be inadequate. Here and there a scholar broke through the barriers of his specialty and tried to advance into the terrain of universality. Some dreamed of a new alphabet, a new language of symbols through which they could formulate and exchange their new intellectual experiences. It was at this point that Joculator Basiliensis applied himself to the problem. He invented for the Glass Bead Game the principles of a new language, a language of symbols and formulas, in which mathematics and music played an equal part, so that it became possible to combine astronomical and musical formulas, to reduce mathematics and music to a common denominator, as it were."
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version