Earwa > General Earwa

History allusions in TSA

<< < (2/4) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---+1, Auriga.

I know that Iron Men and Saints by Harold Lamb is a huge inspiration for PON. Lamb's stuff reads like the other side of Homer's coin in Bakker's omniscient war passages.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Amun ---I may have found a religious allusion, but since it's not biblical I'll put it here.

There is an Egyptian goddess of birth called Taweret, a name which reminds me of Yatwer. Bakker likes to play with names (Inri Sejenus = Jesus, etc.), so I can see the two being parallels with each other. Both contain the consonants "twr" which is important in languages like ancient Egyptian where many words are formed with three consonant roots.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---I definitely think myth can and should be included, Amun.

Very cool catch.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Bakker User ---Perhaps not totally on-topic, but this thread is the best fit:

I picked up a tiny bit of Classical Greek (Attic) during my ancient-history kick three years ago. I noticed afterward that of the Inrithi gods, the Whore of Fate is called Anagke.

Anagke in ancient Greek meant "necessity".

Is that clever?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Centurion ---It's already been said before, but the Holy War of the PoN Trilogy is an almost step-by-step parallel of the First Crusade of 1096.  It was almost jarring for me when I realized just how similar they were.  Even many of the characters have strong similarities to real world equivalents (ex. Ikurei Xerius III and Alexius Komnenos [without the psychopathic mother]; Coithus Saubon and Bohemund of Taranto [possibly the strongest parallel in the books]; Ikurei Conphas and Tatikios [but of course Conphas wasn't a eunuch and Tatikios didn't try to take over the Crusade...rather the opposite actually]; and there's another character in PoN whose name I cannot recall who bears a strong resemblance to Tancred, nephew of Bohemund).  Anyway, there are plenty of differences to establish PoN as its own story, but the First Crusade was obviously a very strong influence.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version