Earwa > The White-Luck Warrior

Mimara

<< < (2/27) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---Well maybe I'm just not as literature savvy as some, but to me all the WLW sections are written in the past tense.

Take this for example:
"The room was little more than a cellar, even though it hung some four storeys above the alleyway. The plaster had sloughed from the walls, leaving bare stretches of cracked brick."

Isn't that past tense like everyone else? The only portions of the WLW that isn't like that is when he "sees" himself in the future. All of the discernible 'current' WLW scenes are past tense.
If not then could someone explain that more fully.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---It's the difference between "He walked into the room and grabbed his keys" (Past Tense) vs. "He walks into the room and grabs his keys." (Present Tense), Wilshire.

It's a technical distinction in writing - some authors just refute structural holds we condone and write however they want. Bakker is, pretty clearly, using it to distinguish something.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Wilshire ---How about a more direct example of of it with the WLW. I understand the mechanics and that its meaningful (obviously, or i wouldnt have bothered askin) but i dont see it in the writing.

"He heard the people talking in the streets, voice piled upon voice, and he had difficulty sorting reasons form conclusions" -wlw 498
"Sometimes he gazed out the lone window..." -498
"He heard the horns call, realized what he had always known" -498
"He almost stepped upon it then thousand times" -498

Don't all those represent past tense? While Mimara's sections, every line is most obviously present tense
"She unties the laces of her jacket"
She unlaces her leather breeches"
"Motionless the scalpers gaze."
"Even Koll ... watches with licentious fury"

Though maybe I'm just cherry picking section, but at least to me the WLW seem decidedly not present, except, like I said above, when he's seeing the future rather than the current time.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---
--- Quote from: Madness ---Well, the examples you cite suggest that Mimara's POV reflects that of the White-Luck Warrior and Yatwer.

Mimara actually has very few POV's over the course of TAE in comparison to Achamian, Sorweel, or Esmenet. At times, I thought Bakker simply chose the first person view to facilitate the tension and action during such sequences, which works well, but I'd say that he's holding on to some cards still concerning Mimara.

For instance, in her very first POV in TJE, she comments that sometimes she imagines the World with its own living magic to it, which she compares and discredits to sorcery.
--- End quote ---
Mimara has relatively few POVs in TJE, until Cil Aujus.  then she's the POV covering almost the entirety of that chapter (since Akka is unconscious for most of the battle). 

In WLW here POVs outnumber Akka and everyone else, she's the primary viewpoint of the novel.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Well, lockesnow, I'm gonna go count words at some point. I feel like she feels very primary because she is new rather than actually having the most word count, or primary perspective.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version