Earwa > General Earwa

Nonmen

<< < (2/2)

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Auriga ---The Nonmen's culture is pretty fascinating to me - not only their sorcery, but also their skills in architecture and geometry, really make them the "Ancient Greeks" of Eärwa.

They built some pretty mind-blowing stuff, like the spiral stair in Cil-Aujas that goes up the whole mountain, or the space-filling Hilbert curve around Golgotterath. I wonder what Ishterebinth, a living Nonman kingdom, looks like?

--- Quote ---In my old notes the Nonmen also used totemic devices, but in the multi-form manner that characterizes much of their art. So for instance, a Nonmen representation of a wolf would likely show it occupying two or more postures at once, like sleeping/running.
--- End quote ---

This was one of the coolest bits in TJE. I dunno if we've seen any other Nonman heraldry - I remember that some house had a copper tree as is symbol.

--- Quote ---Just who does Aurang say they are watching in Ishterebinth in TWP?
--- End quote ---

Nin-Ciljiras.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---
--- Quote from: Cu'jara Cinmoi ---Here the Quya and the Siqu masters continue their studies, developing techniques, sorcerous and otherwise, to keep their race sane.
--- End quote ---

And otherwise :shock: ?! Those two words, in this one sentence, have fueled my imagination for years.

Wolf Gate - Big questions for me.

God... this ' - Captial pronoun this is killing me.

Lol, Nin'-Cciljiras has likely led a coup in Nil'giccas' name - (I picture Nin'-Cciljiras as Wormtongue). Nil'giccas suggests that Ishterebinth, the Mansion, has turned to the Consult but that's can't be the case - especially as I figure it will be Achamian would convinces the Nonmen to ride to Kellhus' aid (The Gandalf, Rohirrin, Helm's Deep trifecta is likely too juicy a parallel for Bakker to pass on).

Obviously, the situation seems less dire than Aurang welcoming people at Ishterebinth but from the TWP quote, I'd hazard that a group of Nonmen is perpetrating the dissension for the Consult. Nil'giccas has probably been wandering for longer than twenty years - he has had the entirety of a few millenia to regret not telling the Nonmen about the "Truth" of the Inverse Fire.

Again, from the idea of Achamian wearing Nil'giccas' armour, I'd hazard that the Nonmen think Nil'giccas is still in Mansion.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Ciogli ---I think the situation in Ishteribinth resembles that of Nagothrond in the Silmarillion. Where Nil giccas is based upon Finrod Felagund the last Elven High King, he left his great underground city to aid Beren(Achamian) and in his stead the sons of Feanor usurped the crown. The Nin line may be the sons of Nin Janjin who took over after Nil giccas left, and now rule in his name.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Wow. +1 Ciogli. Sounds bang on.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version