Earwa > General Earwa

The Scylvendi and their role.

<< < (2/7) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---It's interesting how 'wrong' or 'right' starts to orbit the biggest source of torture.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Curethan ---It's possible that the Scylvendi are the original owners of the Tusk. 

I see them as a deliberate inversion of the 'noble savage' in general.  Certainly more believable than the dothraki or Erikson's ... erm ... barghast was it? but I don't really know about their accuracy as a nomadic tribes people.  Pretty far away from indigenous Australians - who had stable cultural traditions for thousands of years...

They also lived in a harsh environment, and I think they crippled or killed miscreants but no way were they as savage as the people of war. (e.g. pulling someone's guts out for taking primacy etc)
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Auriga ---
--- Quote from: Curethan ---It's possible that the Scylvendi are the original owners of the Tusk.
--- End quote ---
Nope, not according to Scött. He said in an interview that the Inchoroi made the Tusk and gave it to the Ketyai, who have held it ever since.   

--- Quote ---but I don't really know about their accuracy as a nomadic tribes people.  Pretty far away from indigenous Australians - who had stable cultural traditions for thousands of years...
--- End quote ---
Australian aboriginals were never a nomadic horseback people, they were primitive hunter-gatherers.

The Scylvendi, on the other hand, are a race of nomads who sit at the top of the food chain in Eärwa. They consciously choose to disdain all forms of high civilization and reject lifestyles that would soften them. Like all historical warrior nomads, they view the "tillers of earth" with contempt. In the pre-modern food chain, nomads were above peasants, who were above city-dwellers. The less civilization, the hardier fighters.

--- Quote ---They also lived in a harsh environment, and I think they crippled or killed miscreants but no way were they as savage as the people of war. (e.g. pulling someone's guts out for taking primacy etc)
--- End quote ---
The Scylvendi and their savage culture was pretty realistic, apart from the nihilistic "death-worship" aspect. In real life, the barren steppes were always a harsh environment that bred very harsh peoples - the Huns, Mongols, Manchus and Plains Indians did things that were shocking by the standards of civilized urban peoples. Defeated rivals in their power struggles were often punished brutally, so Cnaiur pulling out Yursalka's entrails (after killing his whole family) wouldn't be something surprising at all.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Curethan ---All good points, obviously I am no anthropoloigist - cheers Auriga. :)
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Jayfish ---Re: the third portion of Mr. Buck's post, I personally think Cnaiur still has a role to play. And frankly, we don't really know that he died. The Tekne could certainly have kept him around of years. And after his experiences in TTT, I can easily see him joining the Consult.

As for the familiar territory of the "fake-out death" trope, I don't really give a shit. I'd just like to see in again. Although I think someone mentioned that Bakker has indicated his part is done.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version