• 69 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2013, 08:07:08 pm »
Is it just me, or are wormhole stabilizing devices  often depicted as triangles? What gives...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 04:52:55 pm »
Missed out on District 9, but I did just go see Elysium. As it was the first movie I actually went to go see in quite some time, I was a bit disappointing.  Nothing in particular was wrong with it, but (to me) there wasnt much exceptional about it either. Worth renting for sure, probably not worth my $21 for the 2 tickets.

Good to know. You'll like District 9 more, I think. It has a more 'culty' feel to it ;).

But i think i will be very much in the minority on this...obviously mixing sci fi into fantasy is very much en vogue  :-\ :-X

Yes, I fear you may be disappointed, Kellais. Though, Bakker's been pretty loyal to the 'no sci-fi,' fantasy POV vibe, so far.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 04:59:57 pm »
Well, you know, Madness, maybe you just have to sell me on the concept and why it is so cool  ;)
Oh and has he? I mean the ark is obviously a ship from space. This can still be very much fantasy-like and not all that sci fi like (meaning: the ship is very much magi-tech and not hard sci fi aka real tech stuff).

Oh and Wilshire, i have one big franchise where the wormholes are not triangular....Stargate  ;D So you can relax ;)
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 07:11:49 pm »
Glad to hear it :P

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2013, 03:38:48 pm »
Well, you know, Madness, maybe you just have to sell me on the concept and why it is so cool  ;)
Oh and has he? I mean the ark is obviously a ship from space. This can still be very much fantasy-like and not all that sci fi like (meaning: the ship is very much magi-tech and not hard sci fi aka real tech stuff).

Oh and Wilshire, i have one big franchise where the wormholes are not triangular....Stargate  ;D So you can relax ;)

Yeah, fiction with Magi-Tech walks a harder line of skepticism, for my money... though, it would add another unforeseen layer to the story though. Hrm...
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2013, 01:17:01 am »
Lol, shades of District 9, Wilshire. Anyone see Elysium yet?

Missed out on District 9, but I did just go see Elysium. As it was the first movie I actually went to go see in quite some time, I was a bit disappointing.  Nothing in particular was wrong with it, but (to me) there wasnt much exceptional about it either. Worth renting for sure, probably not worth my $21 for the 2 tickets.

btw I might be biased because there were so many awesome opportunity to play Radioactive by Imagine Dragons, and they didn't. First scene would have been perfect... so maybe i just couldn't like it after that.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2013, 03:45:41 am »
District 9 is better.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2014, 04:32:38 pm »
I think it likely that the nail of heaven is just the north star but...this crackpot idea i got in my head recently won't go away:

The stars are NOT like in our universe, they are like the ancients believed, just pretty chunks floating around the earth.  The inchoroi and company are deceived (maybe via the inverse fire) that they come from elsewhere.  Earwe is the center of the universe in the biblical sense.

I don't think that's true, but Bakker likes to flip things and have delusional characters so what the hey!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2014, 10:20:53 pm »
In that case, where did they find Wutteat, and what where the other worlds they conquered?

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:58 pm »
Well, I don't buy this view, but Wutteat would simply be a tekne concoction and the memory of other worlds would be false. 

This is how it would work: ages and ages ago a nonman sect went into what would later become agongorea.  They did all kinds of crazy things to change themselves to avoid damnation.  A key part of their plan was to convince themselves completely of some kind of past myth--the way the republic needs a back story that the people just popped into existence with false memories.  With the Ark built and the delusion machine working, they blow up the surrounding lands and submit every last one to memory altering device.

Why?  I have no idea.  I can't remember who, but someone said Kellhus was the "the breath that is ground" playing the prophet until he became it.  Maybe their plan is similar, play the space alien until something.  Crazy!  I'm just trying to think of all the ways the main groups could be massively deceived, cause I think Bakker would do some of that.