TUC - Moments that cut to the visceral quick

• 26 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 01:36:40 am »
The "captured" Dunyain appearing got me out the bath.

In a vacuum this is a strange comment, but trust me it's about one of the best compliments on earth.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 01:07:58 pm »
In a vacuum this is a strange comment, but trust me it's about one of the best compliments on earth.

Lmao. I'm dying.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 05:25:44 am »
"Four lights became three.
Now it was the Mandate Schoolmen who raced toward them, fleeing whatever had extinguished the light of their two comrades. “Runnn!” one of them urged the mundane company. To a man they obliged, for what a sorcerer fled, only a fool would dare.
Mirshoa, however, remained."

Foolish balls of steel. Mirshoa was bold. Plus, the only Tall in the book, obviously an erratic, with a Cudgel, turned to the consult... but I wish there'd been 20 more pages of Mirsh swirling some death down with a cindersword before he gets snakebit. 

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2017, 03:16:10 pm »
Now it was the Mandate Schoolmen who raced toward them, fleeing whatever had extinguished the light of their two comrades. “Runnn!” one of them urged the mundane company. To a man they obliged, for what a sorcerer fled, only a fool would dare.

Foolish balls of steel. Mirshoa was bold. Plus, the only Tall in the book, obviously an erratic, with a Cudgel, turned to the consult... but I wish there'd been 20 more pages of Mirsh swirling some death down with a cindersword before he gets snakebit. 

Yeah, that was badass 8).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 02:12:43 am »
Tell me Nersei Proyas! How long have you served Golgotterath?

What a scene.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Frail

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 03:19:45 am »
"So did the Great Ordeal of Anasurimbor Kellhus perish in salt and butchery." Even though I didnt like the ending at first, this line sent a chill down my spine, I imagined the Sranc moving as one through the ordeal like a wave not caring for the sand rising an then wash over the Ordeal. 

EdwardReynolds

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 08:59:39 am »
From TUC

Kellhus betraying Proyas when he asks "What have you done" after charging him with "something must be eaten".

Moeghus personally suffocating Proyas as a beloved uncle rather then letting him suffer burning alive.

Basically the way Proyas was used up, sad story. IMO Kellhus tied Proyas up in the tree in the way that he did to 1. save him a few hours more from the agony of damnation and 2. he knew Akka, someone, would pull him down and at least get those last moments with him. I think by this point it is obvious Kellhus has some sentimentality with those 'close' to him, including Akka.

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
  • "We are all of us brothers. Read these."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 02:33:50 pm »
Man I really got to give it a Bakker, for being a dyel philosophy major irl there wasn't a second I didn't feel like Cnauir wasn't an absolute force of nature.

Him riding into the whirlwind was fucking savage

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:32 pm »
Almost all of the Moe. Jr stuff with Cnaiur, especially near the end with the first person bits. I also really got caught by the scene where Cnaiur goes up to Proyas and is literally punching the joists screaming "He! Is! Dunyain!". Like, for real, Cnaiur's the only one who REALLY got the Dunyain...aside from his girl-skinned son, that is.

Was just saying to Madness that Proyas's rallying speech was incredibly badass, very raw and human, enough to give me chills...until Kellhus shows up. I'm not really a Pro-Kellhus/Anti-Kellhus  guy at this stage, but Bakker went out of his way to make Kellhus really ugly in TUC.

That being said, I enjoyed Ajokli-Kellhus if only because I so instantly despised the Mutilated. When the line (not verbatim) like this came up:

"You forget, Brothers. This...is my place."

...well, can't say I didn't get a good shot from that one.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 08:01:45 pm »
<paraphrasing>

Kelmo : "Should I be afraid?"
Kellhus: "Your fear has never been something that you can control."

later on:

Kelmo : "Are you going to kill me?"
Kellhus : "I'm not convinced there is anyone to kill."

These lines, from a father to his son, make me shudder.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 08:25:03 pm »

I love Mirshoa's ἀριστεία.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Hogman

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 01:13:44 pm »
There were many such moments. To mention a few:

When Akka kneels, as foreseen at the end of TTT.

When Malowebi forgives Likaro.

When Sorweel becomes the White Luck Warrior (it took me a while to realise what had happened)