• 41 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47:13 am »
Quote from: Callan S.
- Men will describe not just facts but also embeded in their description the way they relate to the fact. Other men will not believe those facts, not because of the fact, but for a feeling of being forced to adopt the other mans gestalt on how he relates to the fact. But they also resist attempting to say the fact in their own words, making a self proprietry out of a willful ignorance. Never mind such dimensions as where the fact might not be the case.

Now say it for yourself...

~~~

Okay, a little long, that one...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47:22 am »
- People often treat AFAICT as A FACT.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47:29 am »
- The phrase "Actually I was just thinking that about you." is rather like I am rubber, you are glue - what bounces off me sticks to you. The reflex to rebound, to not hold onto and consider, is more a reflection ('scuse the pun) of closed mindedness. New ideas bounce off and leaves no impression? Yet the phrase is so effective, even as it absolutely screams it's lack of consideration of the speaker. In the end, the ears of an audience are more rubber than anything.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47:38 am »
- The phrase 'If you'd told me 3 years ago I'd be doing this, I wouldn't have believed you!' shows how adrift we are from our own agendas. Actually no, it doesn't - the lack of this phrase is what shows how far adrift we are from our own agendas. The phrase is a clutching grasp at a return to original intent, and even at that, is more than its absence is.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47:46 am »
- Why attribute yourself as not understanding, when you can say the other person doesn't make much sense?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 12:47:52 am »
- In terms of the social, it's draw to and the structure of the internet, these days if a child called out the emperor is actually naked, he'd get thread banned.

~~~
I'm thinking of rpg.net in regard to this. My god has the moderating there become intellectually dishonest (probably starting from how dealing with all the posters there is wearysome, so they start taking mental shortcuts in moderating. But then they treat the shortcut as if its just correct)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 12:48:00 am »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, fallacies abound. Good show, Callan. I'm working on some but I never feel confident.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 12:48:08 am »
Perhaps think of it as an ornate conversation starter (rather than trying to make something so good it's a conversation ender)?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 12:48:16 am »
- A truely open mind would openly consider it is not open minded. This is indeed stupid and redundant! Precisely why nature keeps trying to press for efficiency and simply have us BE open minded, without reflection on whether we are - and all the permutations of belief that begets. A darwinistic saw against wisdom. And also an explanation of why it seems stupid and redundant - it's how far nature has clawed her way 'in'. Or 'as'.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 12:48:23 am »
- Ignorance of complexity makes for the greatest of complexities.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 09:38:04 am »
Lawyer: The mercenary philosopher.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2013, 09:41:07 am »
If you can taste the salt on your cheek, you are not entirely blind to yourself. But it is only a taste. And only if you cry.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 11:29:57 am »
Poetry is when you have alot to talk about, but not alot to say

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 07:07:12 pm »
When I was young and foolish, I thought a piece of writing was finished when I could think of nothing else to add. Now I realise it is finished when I can think of nothing else to remove.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 10:51:54 am »
Just about every religion has a rule that approximates to "Don't be a dick". How the rule is actually interpreted by the religion's followers, however, is usually something more like "Hey, you see those guys over there? They're being dicks. You should totally go slaughter them all."
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."