https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1kS_f3yS8c
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2018, 07:10:24 am »
I know, common, but in light of Q today and I feel spot on ...

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
“Self-Reliance” by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Though I prefer it's slightly more modern usage, "Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."

It's a very interesting little tidbit.  In t he sense that it seems like something small, but is actually likely a symptom of a very "big" issue.  That is, just who are we?  In the sense of, who am I?  What am I?

If we consider the narrative character of life, we likely find at least part of why we want to try to maintain "consistency."

It could also just be a pithy excuse for being inconsistent in your dealings.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2018, 12:32:00 pm »
I know, common, but in light of Q today and I feel spot on ...

Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
“Self-Reliance” by Ralph Waldo Emerson

Though I prefer it's slightly more modern usage, "Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."

It's a very interesting little tidbit.  In t he sense that it seems like something small, but is actually likely a symptom of a very "big" issue.  That is, just who are we?  In the sense of, who am I?  What am I?

If we consider the narrative character of life, we likely find at least part of why we want to try to maintain "consistency."

It could also just be a pithy excuse for being inconsistent in your dealings.

Ha, wouldn't be the first time someone leveraged "wisdom"/philosophy to excuse bad behavior. The point of the quote is not to be purposely inconsistent or leverage it conveniently, but be smarter about identifying what truly matters.

Ascribed to Oscar Wilde ( another "updated" version of a quote ) I think nails the point : Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Simply, life is art, which makes it fun if you allow it. The Tao in me smiles at the truth of these contradictions. So, yes, both - don't weight yourself down with consistency, but don't revel in hypocrisy either. To go further, what we discussed in Q that day, I'm saying it's not even hypocrisy to be inconsistent across our sphere's of reality, sphere's of degrading importance if you will. So I say it's a mistake to deny your child welfare if they truly need it just because you're a Libertarian who believes society is better off without welfare. Don't pay more taxes than you owe even if you believe the tax rate should be higher for your perceived economic bracket. Consistency as a moral or the notion it's absolute application makes you moral is simply self destructive and not a contribution to a better self or world. Not all "smart" self interested decisions are immoral "selfishness" and indeed the world is better for it, not just for yourself. You could be a great person of morality and love and yet it's valid/correct to make some of your life decisions with self interest which does not invalidate your ethics. At first glance, this may all sound like fanciful cynicism - show the world you're worthwhile to take better advantage of it, camouflaged vampirc living - but, no, that's not what I'm getting at.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2018, 03:17:28 am »
"Death destroys a man but the idea of it saves him."

- E.M. Forester

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2018, 01:48:38 pm »
"Death destroys a man but the idea of it saves him."

- E.M. Forester

That's a good one.

These remarks will have made it evident to the reader that the ideal of the Supreme Being, far from being an enouncement of the existence of a being in itself necessary, is nothing more than a regulative principle of reason, requiring us to regard all connection existing between phenomena as if it had its origin from an all-sufficient necessary cause, and basing upon this the rule of a systematic and necessary unity in the explanation of phenomena.

A fascinating conclusion by Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2018, 02:55:16 pm »
These remarks will have made it evident to the reader that the ideal of the Supreme Being, far from being an enouncement of the existence of a being in itself necessary, is nothing more than a regulative principle of reason, requiring us to regard all connection existing between phenomena as if it had its origin from an all-sufficient necessary cause, and basing upon this the rule of a systematic and necessary unity in the explanation of phenomena.

A fascinating conclusion by Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason.

So if I understand this correctly, the belief in the divine is rational, not irrational.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2018, 03:54:49 pm »
So if I understand this correctly, the belief in the divine is rational, not irrational.

In a way, but I think it is deeper than that.  Perhaps, that the ideal, that is the transcendental ideal, which could be Divine, if we choose to define it that way, is the transcendent rational and so is the rationalizer of the rational.  So, if there is anything transcendental about the rational, then the very idea of that thing conditions rationality to it's pinnacle (rather than something like self-consuming "navel-gazing"), not the literal, objectivist existence of an entity such as God.

Here is Scruton on that passage:
Considered thus it is the source, not of illusion, but of knowledge. The knowledge that it leads to remains circumscribed by the conditions of possible experience: in other words, it conforms to the categories, and does not reach beyond their legitimate territory into a transcendent realm. The idea “does not show us how an object is constituted, but how, under its guidance, we should seek to determine the constitution and connection of the objects of experience” (A. 671, B. 699). Thus reason is led back from its vain speculations to the empirical world, trading the illusions of metaphysics for the realities of empirical science.

So, perhaps then it is the manner in which we could connect transcendental rationality to practical, pragmatic rationality.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2018, 11:39:23 pm »
( migrated from TSA FB Group post )

A beggar's mistake harms no one but the beggar. A king's mistake, however, harms everyone but the king. Too often, the measure of power lies not in the number who obey your will, but in the number who suffer your stupidity.

--R. Scott Bakker

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2018, 02:37:47 pm »
Doesn't quality as a "quote" being just a historical statement, more just quoting someone, but in the spirit of the season ...

“For preventing disorders arising in several places within this jurisdiction, by reason of some still observing such festivals as were superstitiously kept in other countries, to the great dishonor of God and offence of others, it is therefore ordered by this Court and the authority thereof, that whosoever shall be found observing any such day as Christmas or the like, either by forbearing of labor, feasting, or any other way, upon such accountants as aforesaid, every person so offending shall pay of every such offence five shillings, as a fine to the county.”

- Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1659.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:42:30 pm by TaoHorror »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2018, 10:43:43 pm »
Doesn't quality as a "quote" being just a historical statement, more just quoting someone, but in the spirit of the season ...

“For preventing disorders arising in several places within this jurisdiction, by reason of some still observing such festivals as were superstitiously kept in other countries, to the great dishonor of God and offence of others, it is therefore ordered by this Court and the authority thereof, that whosoever shall be found observing any such day as Christmas or the like, either by forbearing of labor, feasting, or any other way, upon such accountants as aforesaid, every person so offending shall pay of every such offence five shillings, as a fine to the county.”

- Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1659.

Talk about a Grinch lol

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2018, 03:06:52 pm »
Only the dead have seen the end of the war.

- Plato

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2018, 12:36:37 am »
In the spirit of the holidays, thought I would share a few of my favorite sophomoric quotes.

Death ... Death! Death to all those who oppose us!

- Locnar-infused Barbarian Leader, referred only to as "your Excellency", Heavy Metal

Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole"

- unknown, bumper sticker
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:55:17 am by TaoHorror »

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2019, 04:39:25 am »
Physics does not consist only of atomic research, science does not consist only of physics, and life does not consist
only of science.  The aim of atomic research is to fit our empirical knowledge concerning it into our other thinking.
If it cannot be fitted into [this other thinking], then it fails in its whole aim and one does not know what purpose it
really serves."
— Erwin Schrödinger

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2019, 08:56:38 pm »
Physics does not consist only of atomic research, science does not consist only of physics, and life does not consist
only of science.  The aim of atomic research is to fit our empirical knowledge concerning it into our other thinking.
If it cannot be fitted into [this other thinking], then it fails in its whole aim and one does not know what purpose it
really serves."
— Erwin Schrödinger

I love this whole "fuck physics, we're alive, mother fuckers" philosophy you've been sharing, Sci - very interesting stuff, gives me hope I'm more than a simple machine.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2019, 09:09:38 pm »
I love this whole "fuck physics, we're alive, mother fuckers" philosophy you've been sharing, Sci - very interesting stuff, gives me hope I'm more than a simple machine.

<<insert supportive emoji>>

I don't think it's "fuck physics/science" so much as "fuck mechanistic-reductionist explanations".

As for being a machine, read Raymond Tallis' On Time & Lamentation. He's a retired neuroscientist turned brilliant philosopher.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:12:31 pm by sciborg2 »