Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 01:33:25 am »
But with more fantasy economics.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 06:36:06 am »
probably sits at the same demographic fantasy table as RSB, too.

Yes, and I had to laugh when a character called Akkabrian showed up :)

sologdin

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 03:52:57 pm »
think i saw this in a movie one time:

Akkabrian: Please, please, please listen! I've got one or two things to say.

The Holy War: Tell us! Tell us both of them!

Akkabrian: Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL indecipherable!

The Holy War: Yes! We're all indecipherable!

Akkabrian: You're all deceived!

The Holy War: Yes, we ARE all deceived!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 04:08:15 pm »
Lol.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

sologdin

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 04:17:43 pm »
graham chapman would make a great achamian, i think, in the filmed version of RSB.  cleese as conphas?  terry jones as esmi?  palin is cnaiur, but with pontius pilate speech impediment!

too bad DCSD for chapman and robbed us of this masterwork of cinema.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 04:34:52 pm »
Yes, "life of akkaBrian" sounds like an awsome movie.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 04:41:03 pm »
I think Monty Python meets Bakker would make my head explode for wonder.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Benjamin Cain

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 07:28:37 pm »
I enjoyed all four books in the Hyperion-Endymion series. That was the first of a number of SF series I read, so it has a special place for me. I read on into the Endymion books because I was so intrigued by the evil AI schemes and the anti-Catholic themes.

I've read a number of SF series and here's how I'd compare them.

After Simmons (his later ones Illium and Olympos aren't as good, but if you're a sucker for SF you might check them out; mind you, his Carrion Comfort is much better), I read Peter F. Hamilton's long Reality Dysfunction series. That series has great action, more scientific jargon, and a lot of world-building. Hamilton is better at describing science and technology than is Simmons--without going full science-textbook on you, like Greg Egan.

Next, I read David Zindell's Neverness series and that has another special place for me, despite its flaws. It's a very philosophical and spiritual take on science fiction. There are some wonderful ideas and descriptions in there and if you're into spirituality without the religion, or into Eastern philosophy, you might want to check out Zindell. I didn't get all the way through his fantasy series, because it was a little too close to the Neverness story, which is what Zindell says he intended.

I also read Gene Wolfe's 12 book Sun series. What a whopping complexity that series is, but all in all I'd say reading it was worth it. Jack Vance's Dying Earth books are great as well--and much funnier than Wolfe's Sun books.

Where does Simmons's series fit into this mosaic? Simmons brings in a literary perspective--not so much in his writing style but in his allusions to other authors. This can get a little pretentious, as far as I'm concerned, but what I like most about the Hyperion Cantos is its elaborate plot and the coolness of the characters' schemes and of Simmons's religious ideas. It's not great on action or on technoscientific descriptions, and Zindell's series is much deeper with respect to the philosophy and spirituality. Wolfe's series, by contrast, has the most elaborate plot and Wolfe's writing quality is probably the best. Zindell is great too, although his failing is that he badly overuses certain cheesy words and phrases, like "light of the eyes." Also, Zindell can get a little sentimental, but he makes up for it.

I started reading Dune and Foundation, but for some reason I didn't get far. In fact, I'm having a hard time now finding a novel I can enjoy. This is why I hesitate to reread those treasured series, in case I spot more problems with them than I did on first reading (although I doubt that would be possible with respect to Wolfe).

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 08:10:30 pm »
I have actually been looking for The Broken God by Zindell, but it is not available anywhere. Not even on Amazon.

Benjamin Cain

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 08:39:37 pm »
Sure, it's available on Amazon. Go for a used copy for about $10 or better yet search the used bookstores on bookfinder.com. Amazon.ca and Biblio.com have it for only $6 and change, shipping included. The hardcover on Amazon.com is going for only $2.

I've bought lots of used books through Amazon and as long as you stick with stores that have lots of positive ratings, you should be fine.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 09:00:19 pm »
I read English books mostly on kindle, because the dictionary is really helpful since I am Norwegian. They have the other two books on kindle, so I have thought about buying a used copy. It can be expensive to ship it all the way to Norway, but I will look around.

Benjamin Cain

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 09:10:42 pm »
Ah, sorry, I assumed you were looking for an English copy. Yeah, I don't know about Norwegian translations. Try bookfinder.com, since it seems pretty thorough. The bookfinder prices include shipping and handling, which is handy.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 09:21:57 pm »
No it is depressingly little that is translated to Norwegian. Only the big hits really. That is why kindle is such a fantastic thing:) Although it is just to easy to spend all my money on books. One click, wait 5 seconds and you have it. Almost addictive:)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 12:38:39 am »
Ben, that was a really interesting read. Thanks for that.

You probably haven't wasted much time around these parts but you ever checked out the New Wave SF thread?

I started reading Dune and Foundation, but for some reason I didn't get far. In fact, I'm having a hard time now finding a novel I can enjoy. This is why I hesitate to reread those treasured series, in case I spot more problems with them than I did on first reading (although I doubt that would be possible with respect to Wolfe).

It's most unfortunate. There is a serious dearth of quality SFF. At least, people like yourself, delavagus, and Bakker are writing but bar reading eachother's fiction you three are basically SOL for comparable stuff - at least in my mind.

I was reading The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi over the holidays, which sets off some kind of space opera but I haven't finished it. It's actually fairly original but I felt very much like I was imitating the motions of my childhood reading experiences - being what they were, I don't we can expect the same head-gripping wonderment.

I really liked The Faded Sun trilogy by C. J. Cherryh.

Always loved me some Heinlein too.

If you weren't already drifting SF, I'd admonish you to write some :P.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:40:44 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Benjamin Cain

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 02:04:31 am »
Actually, I think there's something deeper going on, when I say I'm having trouble finding a novel I really enjoy. I think either I've read too much or more likely the internet has changed my reading habits and maybe even my attention span. Even more likely, I think my taste has become so narrow that I'm maybe the only one who can write what I want to see written. I'm sure this is based on my ignorance, though, since there must be books out there that cater to even the most specific tastes. But how to find them?

I think the problem is also that writers may have a harder time enjoying the process of reading, just as film directors may have a harder time watching movies, because such creators are too aware of what goes on behind the scenes, so they have a harder time falling under the spell of an artwork. Not that I'm an expert novelist--I've only written one novel and it's hardly a masterpiece (but I think it's pretty cool!). Still, I've written a lot of nonfiction now, whereas I did most of my fiction reading before I'd written much of anything outside of school. So there's this deeper issue here.