What are you watching?

• 357 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 27, 2020, 09:38:41 pm »
Homeland

Big fan of this show, I was sad a first couple years back when they announced the end of the show, but now seeing the series end, I realize it was time for it to go. Not that it's bad, I like the last season and the ending, but it's gone far enough.

Pretty fucking spoiler here, you've been warned
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:03:18 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2020, 10:09:45 pm »
I heard about a new show, "Devs", streaming on Hulu, or "FX on Hulu", directed by Alex Garland ("Ex Machina", "Annihilation") that revolves around the determinism/free will question. Anyone aware of it?
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 04, 2020, 12:31:00 pm »
I heard about a new show, "Devs", streaming on Hulu, or "FX on Hulu", directed by Alex Garland ("Ex Machina", "Annihilation") that revolves around the determinism/free will question. Anyone aware of it?
Yeah, good show, well worth watching.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 05, 2020, 07:17:50 am »
Ah I'll have to check it out, even though I am a bit puzzled why - as one of the five people on Earth qualified to talk about free will - I wasn't consulted...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 07, 2020, 01:47:53 pm »
Killing eve.

Wow, that was a great show. Jodie Comer does a fantastic job acting. She plays a psychopathic killer and does an amazing job being cold/uncaring psycopath, but she also jumps back and forth between that and and a persona of caring/loving/human emotions. The range it great to watch, she makes the show.

Finished season 2 and thought it was the end (I think that's all that's on hulu). Great ending, though its up to season 4 now... I thought ending at 2 made a lot of sense, so I'm a bit skeptical of the other seasons.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 11, 2020, 01:35:39 pm »
Yeah, good show, well worth watching.

I've not, I'll check it out, sounds intriguing.

Ah I'll have to check it out, even though I am a bit puzzled why - as one of the five people on Earth qualified to talk about free will - I wasn't consulted...

I assumed they had, will be going into this thing disappointed learning they didn't  ;)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 11, 2020, 01:41:18 pm »
Killing eve.

Wow, that was a great show. Jodie Comer does a fantastic job acting. She plays a psychopathic killer and does an amazing job being cold/uncaring psycopath, but she also jumps back and forth between that and and a persona of caring/loving/human emotions. The range it great to watch, she makes the show.

Finished season 2 and thought it was the end (I think that's all that's on hulu). Great ending, though its up to season 4 now... I thought ending at 2 made a lot of sense, so I'm a bit skeptical of the other seasons.

This is a fun show - something that purposely does not take itself too seriously, some cool humor to it, but weaves with some nasty callous violence and pulls the campiness off without being too absurd or campy. I'm caught up to current season and it's been fun to watch. Nothing to learn from this thing, just straightforward quality entertainment. Agreed, Comer steals the show and offers us a special blend of a person who enjoys the mundane silliness of life with a ( somewhat fantastic - but fuck it, keep it fun ) highly skilled/effective assassin. Psychopathy is correct as she is not shallow, but eliminate human life without pause if same is "inconvenient".

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:44:51 pm by TaoHorror »

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 11, 2020, 07:45:29 pm »
I assumed they had, will be going into this thing disappointed learning they didn't  ;)

Curious as to your thoughts. I just couldn't get into it Devs, prolly stopped a third into the first episode. Admittedly I feel I'm just not in the life-space to think deeply about my TV...

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 11, 2020, 09:46:25 pm »

Curious as to your thoughts. I just couldn't get into it Devs, prolly stopped a third into the first episode. Admittedly I feel I'm just not in the life-space to think deeply about my TV...

I likely can't start it for a while, maybe in June, but you can count on me to post my review :)

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 12, 2020, 08:31:48 pm »

I likely can't start it for a while, maybe in June, but you can count on me to post my review :)

Excellent.

In other news I finished Midnight Gospel...some might find this the kind of "bullshit" people talk when they are high, but personally I loved it. The last episode was just so incredibly emotional...but not sure how much I should say because I think part of the experience is taking these episodes without preconditioning....

Perhaps a spoiler thread is in order, there is so much we could get into. I will say the overlay of animation with a story over the conversations from a podcast was surprisingly effective. I hope there's a second season, but also this strategy gets used more by other podcaster/animator combos...

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2020, 01:50:17 pm »
Within the first 10 seconds or so of "Parasyte: The Maxim" on Netflix, there is a nice representation of a skin spy.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:23 am »
We finished watching the show "Run" which was on HBO.  What a waste.  It was only 7 half-hour episodes and still managed to not feel worth the time it took to watch it.  I wasn't expecting much going in and the show delivered a good bit less than that.  It mostly felt like anything actually interesting was glossed over or just not addressed, then the show was done.  Felt like half a real effort, really.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2020, 08:28:51 pm »
We finished watching the show "Run" which was on HBO.  What a waste.  It was only 7 half-hour episodes and still managed to not feel worth the time it took to watch it.  I wasn't expecting much going in and the show delivered a good bit less than that.  It mostly felt like anything actually interesting was glossed over or just not addressed, then the show was done.  Felt like half a real effort, really.

The previews had the look and feel of being a piece of shit, so I've held off for now ( thanks for saving me the time :) ). I intended to watch it given how much I like HBO shows, but they were due for a dud. Thanks for the heads up.

I've been watching Briarpatch - eh, it's not that good, but it is entertaining and have stuck with it. It's art crime ( Pulp Fiction, Snatch ). It's fun to watch, but nothing more than that.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:35:24 pm by TaoHorror »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 02, 2020, 01:38:03 pm »
The previews had the look and feel of being a piece of shit, so I've held off for now ( thanks for saving me the time :) ). I intended to watch it given how much I like HBO shows, but they were due for a dud. Thanks for the heads up.

Definitely save your time.  We watched Upload, that was much more worth watching.  Rather entertaining, some "dark humor" and little drama, overall a good show, I'll be very interesting in seeing where they go with it.  I really like the pseudo-dystopian vibe of the show, which it does without overdoing it.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 11, 2020, 11:25:52 pm »
Pretty cool - commentary on philosophy and tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2doZROwdte4