• 57 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« on: January 04, 2019, 03:02:37 pm »
A place to keep track of our 2019 reads. Hopefully I, or someone else ;) will post the totals in the 2018 thread. Cheers!

Just finished Prince of the Blood by Raymond Feist(1). Really enjoyed it. It picks the story back up in Midkemia, with Arutha still in power in Krondor and his sons having to learn their way.

As usual, I'll try to get around 30. Dont think I quite hit that this year, but close enough.

ETA: if you guys update 2018 with anything you might have missed, I'll try and get to the totals.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:45:42 pm »
49 last year, that's a huge amount for me.
I want to say that reading 4 books a month was way to much for me, but I think a lot of that was because nearly every one was a new story and not a sequel of some kind. This year I'm going to focus on finishing out some of the great stories I've started in the last handful of years. I suspect I might end up reading a lot of them quickly but I don't want to push to hard and miss something.

So I'll try for a modest 30.
Edit: Made it! Got to 32, see below.

Series I'd like to finish
Traitor Son (Cameron) - 4 books
Gap Cycle (Donaldson) - 4 books
Rejoice: A Knife to the Heart (Erikson) - 1 Book
Three Body (Liu) - 2 1 books
Shattered Sigil (Schaffer) - 2 1 books
Books of Babel (Bancroft) - 2 1 books
Arcane Ascension (Rowe) - 2 1 book (unpublished)
Poppy War (Kuang) - 2 1 book (unpublished)
The Magicians (Grossman) - 3 book
Lightbringer (Weeks) - 5 books
New Crobuzon (Mieville) - 3 books
Echopraxia (Watts) - 1 book
Farseer (Hobb) - 3 books
Unhewn Throne (Staveley) - 3 books
Night's Dawn (Hamilton) - 3 books
Red Rising (Brown) - 3 books
Fifth Season (Jemisin) - 3 books
Mistborn (Sanderson) - 3 books

I'd also like to get to these if there's time:
Saga of the Seven Suns (Anderson) - 5 books
Powder Mage (McClellan) - 2 books
Acts of Cain (Stover) - 2 books
Codex Alera (Butcher) - 4 books
Expanse (Corey) - 4 books
Night Angel (Weeks) - 2 books

...Maybe I'll just have to read more.

January (Total: 5)
1) Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
2) Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley
3) The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Staveley
4) Golden Son by Pierce Brown
5) Morning Star by Pierce Brown

February (Total: 8 )
1) Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
2) Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
3) Arm of the Sphinx by Josiah Bancroft

March (Total: 8 )
0 books :( . Don't judge me, Neutronium Alchemist is a big book!

April (Total: 11)
1) The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter F Hamilton
2) Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb
3) Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb

May (Total: 12)
1) The Naked God by Peter F Hamilton
(Yes, seriously just 1 book. Shutup, Naked God is even bigger than Neutronium Alchemist!)

June (Total: 15)
1) The Obelisk Gate by N K Jemisin
2) The Stone Sky by N K Jemisin
3) The Scar by China Mieville

July (Total: 19)
1) The Tainted Crown by Meg Cowley
2) The Black Prism by Brent Weeks
3) Echopraxia By Peter Watts
4) On the Shoulders of Titans by Andrew Rowe

August (Total: 23)
1) The Tainted City by Courtney Schafer
2) The Poppy War by R F Kuang
3) The Dragon Republic by R F Kuang
4) The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks

September (Total: 25)
1) Iron Council by China Mieville
2) The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

October (Total: 28)
1) Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey
2) The Gunslinger by Stephen King
3) The Broken Eye by Brent Weeks

November (Total: 30)
1) Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
2) The Blood Mirror by Brent Weeks

December (Total: 32)
1) The Burning White by Brent Weeks
2) The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:40:31 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 01:04:13 pm »
Just you and me again MSJ, lol.

Blood Meridian Cormac McCarthy (1)
Honestly, not a fan. The Bakker connections weren't as strong as I hoped, it was a western which I don't like, and the writing/prose was difficult to get into. Not a book for me.

The Unhewn Thrown by Brian Staveley (2, 3)
Providence of Fire (book 2), and The Last Mortal Bond (book 3)
What a fantastic series. Most easily described as Bakker-lite. It shares a lot of the same themes, but doesn't go so deep philosophically. It has a tight narrative, 3 pov characters which get a lot of exposition, combat is focused on small groups... Like if TSA was written to be popular :P . I highly recommend this series to anyone on this site.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown (4, 5)
Golden Son (book 2), and Morning Star (book 3)
Another really great series. The pacing is great, very driving, hard to put down. With only 1 POV character its a nice change from the typical menagerie we get in fantasy. Its a revolution narrative, across the stars, but manages to remain unpredictable until near the end. Another high recommendation from me.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 01:09:41 pm »
I always seem to try and read at the start of the year and then fall off :(.

But... so far this calendar year I've read The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells, The Martian - Andy Weir, and will probably finish The Name of the Wind - Rothfuss today.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:07:02 pm »
Went on a cold spell myself Madness, the last few weeks. Happens to all of us at some point.

I'm about halfway through The Hod King, by Josiah Bancroft. Really love this series.

We will do what we do every year, Wilshire. Read and tell people about it. ;)
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:51 pm »
Went on a cold spell myself Madness, the last few weeks. Happens to all of us at some point.

I'm about halfway through The Hod King, by Josiah Bancroft. Really love this series.

We will do what we do every year, Wilshire. Read and tell people about it. ;)

What?  That came out?  Well, I know what I'll be doing for a while...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:59 pm »
Quote from:  H
What?  That came out?  Well, I know what I'll be doing for a while...

Yep, think around the 20th...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
Yep, think around the 20th...

OK, well, at least it hasn't been too long without me knowing.  Forum came back just in time...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 07:52:51 pm »
OK, well, at least it hasn't been too long without me knowing.  Forum came back just in time...

As you, Wilshire and I are all reading this, it might be worth starting a thread over. Figure there are others also.

Almost did a reread of first 2 books to freshen up, but dove right into it. Just started part III of the book.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:28:05 pm »
As you, Wilshire and I are all reading this, it might be worth starting a thread over. Figure there are others also.

Almost did a reread of first 2 books to freshen up, but dove right into it. Just started part III of the book.

I probably should have reread book 2, but I ain't got time for that...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 07:11:00 pm »
I have of course only read the first book :P . But 2 and 3 are on the list this year.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 11:02:01 pm »
Quote from:  Wilshire
I have of course only read the first book  . But 2 and 3 are on the list this year.

Well.....what are you waiting for? I figure it pretty simple as just adding "spoilers" to the thread title. Then, you can steer clear til your caught up.

ETA: Again, we're impatiently waiting. 🤷‍♂️

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 02:38:26 pm »
Lol, anyone can make a topic. I'll ignore it regardless until I've read them. Can't remember what the waiting list looks like on my pile, at least 1.5 books of Mistborn. If we're going to discuss Tower of Babel then maybe I'll read it next. That still puts me at like at least 1 month if I read everything quick.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 02:53:33 pm »
I'm a third of the way through Book 3.  I'll make a topic once I am done with it.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 06:50:55 pm »
I'm a third of the way through Book 3.  I'll make a topic once I am done with it.

I have 200 pages left and I'm going to try and finish up tonight.

Quote from:  Wilshire
Lol, anyone can make a topic. I'll ignore it regardless until I've read them. Can't remember what the waiting list looks like on my pile, at least 1.5 books of Mistborn. If we're going to discuss Tower of Babel then maybe I'll read it next. That still puts me at like at least 1 month if I read everything quick.

Certainly not telling you what to do. But, we all read these same books, just not usually at the same time, generally. Would be nice to have a little in-depth discussion with the fellas, is all.