• 17 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:09 am »
Quote from: Madness
Thought these might be of interest to Bakker fans.

Real-Life Avatar[/b]

Color through sound[/b]

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:17 am »
Quote from: Curethan
Browsing some world news, I found this. 
EAMD by IEDs?  Not for much longer, let us hope.
An interesting application of some Bakkerish neuroscience .
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120704-mind-control-moves-into-battle

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:23 am »
I've encountered much of the literature on neurowarfare technology - though as with all things hidden, we might do well to posit and imagine Neil out there pushing the darker aspects of research.

Two things I find interesting are the computer analogy and biofeedback.

Firstly, one thing the brain has done consistently in our attempts to study it is defeat our analogies. The computer is simply the next in a long line of physical analogies for the working of the brain, which is set towards the trash bin shortly.

Secondly, there are the standard effects of neurological biofeedback techniques. Meditators have been demonstrating for years that conscious control of brain states improves when you translate the conscious state to be controlled into another kind of stimuli - the extra indicator gives the brain leverage to do better itself, without the machine, at what it was already doing itself.

In this case, I wouldn't be surprised if those visual operators - if they are briefed on what is actually happening and not simply used as a transistor or if the soldiers themselves use the technology - are suddenly able to identify the things their brain is identifying unconsciously, without the computer HUD.

I think EAMD would make a good tattoo at this point lol.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:32 am »
Thought Bakker fans would enjoy this. I posted the first link - a TED talk - a number of months ago on TPB when it came out but probably got lost in the deluge there.

A couple articles as well.

Hit the jump on the video to 8:50 for the supremely creepy part.

Ed Boyden: A Light Switch for Neurons
Brain Control[/b]
Scientists Control Monkey's Brains with Light

Damn... "and it will do that hundreds and hundreds of times." Every time I watch that and listen to him I just get flashes of Cynthia Powlski cutting herself to orgasm...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:39 am »
Quote from: Callan S.
With the monkey brain article, am I just confusing my own reading for the only reading when I see it this way

sets the stage for using this powerful new tool to study how to impose nazi like control over humans and, more distantly, without even trying to give a pretext of treating desease.

Gah, but to rag on over there I'd have to register!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:46 am »
Quote from: Curethan
It's pretty crude.  From my understanding of neural nets, the interactions of adhoc feedback algorithms that control the firing mechanism of each neuron are insanely complicated.  In a brain that rewires itself on the fly as well as tweaking the firing points of related neurons, 'switching' individual neurons is an extremely clumsy way of altering mental function.  Kind of like a highly targeted punch to the head that can be reliably replicated.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:52 am »
Quote from: Callan S.
Depends - holding a gun to someones head works well, despite all that (that or if you have an ample supply of bullets, it's a hideous numbers game of effectiveness).

Seems another gun. Possibly one that could be more blathered over about any sense of mortal threat.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 12:15:59 am »
Brain Computer Interface used to control the movement and actions of an android robot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2234104/The-remote-control-helicopter-control-mind.html
The £180 thought controlled helicopter that could help you stay calm - Biofeedback for the masses... wonder if they'll ever "access" their enhanced meditative states without the toys.

I think the collection is going to start... I'm going to slowly go back and mine TPB's comments for all the links many of us and others have posted over the past couple years. Though these and others will continue from my day to day readings.

That second link does not want to embed...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 12:16:05 am »
intendiX by way of Hyperscanning BCI experiment[/u].

Learning to control your own body operates by way of the same conceptual mechanics... Why don't we advocate martial prowess?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 12:16:12 am »
Neurorobotics: Brain Machine Interfaces[/u]

Awesome... I can hear Neil laughing in my nightmares.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 12:16:19 am »
Quote from: arya
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/dec/30/tech-world-lessons-learned-2012
short summary about technology in 2012 and what came up with it.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 12:16:25 am »
6 to 9 are all very interesting. I specifically think that the forumers might be interested in:

LESSON 6 Book publishers have finally realised that they are the main course in Amazon's lunch menu

Here's a riddle: "Disintermediation is a very long word. How do you spell it?" The answer, of course, is "it". But disintermediation is now the mot de jour. It means wiping out the intermediary and that is what the internet does. Remember travel agents? Record shops? Bookshops? Book publishers?

For a long time, publishers maintained that, while the internet was certainly destroying the business models of other industries, book publishing was such a special business that it wouldn't happen to them. After all, in the end, every author needs a publisher – doesn't s/he? Only sad people go in for self-publication.

Er, not necessarily. The arrival and widespread acceptance of ebooks, together with on-demand printing and Amazon's ebook publishing engine have transformed self-publishing from a dream to a reality. If you've written something and it's in Microsoft Word format, then upload it to Amazon's publishing engine, upload an image for the cover, choose a price and in about four hours it'll be for sale on the web.

And in case you think that self-publishing is just for wimps, remember that that's the way Fifty Shades of Grey started.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 12:16:35 am »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:35:26 pm »
https://mindwalker-project.eu/ - EEG controlled exoskeleton
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 01:10:16 pm »
Quadcopter controlled by particular EEG readings of "subjectively" thinking about making distinct hand gestures.

http://iopscience.iop.org/1741-2552/10/4/046003/article
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer