The Collected Works of Emilidis

• 59 Replies

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 08:21:39 pm »
So...dragons have dicks too?
Thats a new one.
I'm pretty sure all the Weapon Races do. Even female sranc seem to be so endowed (it's stated in the EG that "no outward physical differences are readily visible" between male and female sranc unless the females are pregnant).
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 09:51:19 pm »
I'm pretty sure all the Weapon Races do. Even female sranc seem to be so endowed (it's stated in the EG that "no outward physical differences are readily visible" between male and female sranc unless the females are pregnant).

Maybe female Sranc have genitalia similar to that of female hyenas?
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 11:36:23 am »
What i find amazing is from the EG. That all of Emilidis works are immune to chorae. Thats just amazing.

Perhaps the implication is that, since Chorae undue paradox, that somehow Emilidis was able to make things that "weren't paradoxical."  (Whatever the hell that means.)
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 01:53:57 pm »
What i find amazing is from the EG. That all of Emilidis works are immune to chorae. Thats just amazing.

Perhaps the implication is that, since Chorae undue paradox, that somehow Emilidis was able to make things that "weren't paradoxical."  (Whatever the hell that means.)
Or he invented highly effective techniques to counter the impact of paradox on sorcery. For example, one proposed way to combat Chorae is to trap within an object souls that would constantly cast and recast Cants.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 01:59:49 pm »

Maybe female Sranc have genitalia similar to that of female hyenas?

It sounds probably.

The skin-spies sex is also confused. Hermaphrodites maybe?
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 05:31:10 pm »
Skin-spy sex is one of the things in this series I still have less than zero idea about. I still don't get how Ikurei Xerius could be having sex with Istriya-spy for years without ever noticing she had a penis.

But it certainly seems like the Inchoroi just like sticking penises on everything.

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 05:36:12 pm »
Kelmomas mentions something about the skin spy reaching out with a man's hands. I assume, retcon or not, that the implication is that all skin-spies are male gendered, just with female faces and a slender build perhaps.

Xerius though ... really throws a wrench into things. He wasn't privy to young lads, I think we only saw women in this custody, so yeah not sure how he could have missed that... Unless it was the first time skin-spy Istriya tried that? Though the book makes more sense with her being replaced a long while ago, so yeah who knows.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 05:38:59 pm »
Skin-spy sex is one of the things in this series I still have less than zero idea about. I still don't get how Ikurei Xerius could be having sex with Istriya-spy for years without ever noticing she had a penis.

But it certainly seems like the Inchoroi just like sticking penises on everything.

We don't actually know just when Istriya was replaced though.

I once floated a theory that it could have been only after Skeaös was discovered.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »
I suppose that's possible (that she was replaced only recently).

Anyway, the degree to which skin-spies can alter their bodies (rather than just their faces) is still an unknown quantity. Several passages suggest they only change their faces. But that makes their supposedly high success rate as infiltrators completely implausible.

Moosehunter

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 05:59:50 pm »

We don't actually know just when Istriya was replaced though.

I once floated a theory that it could have been only after Skeaös was discovered.
My reading of it has always been that she was a replacement for Skeaos. Even on rereads I didn't see anything to suggest she was a skin spy prior to that. Did Kellhus lay eyes on her can anyone recall. Was she present when he noticed Skeaos?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2017, 06:36:23 pm »
From my reading Istriya's replacement was quite recent and certainly did not go back years. Xerius was certainly shocked to find the boner waiting for him.

The Skin Spies always have dicks, there has been nothing to suggest they can change genitalia. Even Cnaiur's Serwe has one.

BTW Xerius was a great character. Wish we had him in the AE.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 02:11:57 pm »
@Duskweaver and all else. I loved the Dragon/Serwa fight scene compared to alot of others. But, man, Cunny? Who in the fucking world says Cunny? It almost ruines it for me.

Not this world but, you know... Wracu, Earwa, whatever. I've had a handful of exes who referred to theirs as "cooter." If you're going to take issue with one, they both sounds equally made-up to me.

I suppose that's possible (that she was replaced only recently).

Anyway, the degree to which skin-spies can alter their bodies (rather than just their faces) is still an unknown quantity. Several passages suggest they only change their faces. But that makes their supposedly high success rate as infiltrators completely implausible.

Cnaiur watches the thing-called-Serwe change and her hair just falls right the fuck off (TTT, I believe when Cnaiur first meets Aurang the Synthese).

Also, on Xerius/Istriya, it seems fairly straightforward to me: Istriya is replaced shortly before the beginning of current events in TDTCB. Xerius ruminates that she started bringing him "surrogates," in lieu of their coupling, and, despite playing at seeming rivals, Istriya and Skeaos both agree that Xerius' shouldn't betray the Holy War and yield the Cishaurim Shimeh (as the Consult's primary target is the Cishaurim initially in PON not knowing about Moenghus and the Dunyain at that point).

It really hits me when you think about Conphas, Xerius, Skeaos, and Istriya scheming on the Pleasure Barge shortly after Conphas returns from Kiyuth. Fucking Skin-Spies, man.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 03:01:44 pm »
Crackpot theory: Emilidis made the Carapace.

Under his glossary entry it says something about him seeking to create something that was indistinguishable from Godly creation or some such.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 05:29:12 pm »
Some thoughts:

Emilidis was able to create sorcerous objects that were immune to Chorae because, as noted in the glossary, Emilidis was all about recreating "patterns in nature" or something along those lines. Spirals, octagons, etc. Of course, in Earwa, the patterns in nature aren't random coincidence, and indeed they have intrinsically metaphysical qualities. In other words, it's not sorcery at all really. If anything it's close to the Psukhe, in terms of its application/nature. In a world of meaning, you don't actually need sorcery (which disrupts the Onta) to create "magic", you just need to focus in on the right (or rather most potent) forms of this intrinsic meaning, which is basically intersubjective concepts that have meaning whether there are people around to give them meaning or not. For us, a hundred dollar bill only has value because everyone decided it does. In Earwa, that value exists regardless (not the best analogy but it's a start).

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Emilidis also made the octogonal "fire-scrying" rings, one of which is used by Kellhus.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 11:25:04 pm »
From my reading Istriya's replacement was quite recent and certainly did not go back years. Xerius was certainly shocked to find the boner waiting for him.

Also, on Xerius/Istriya, it seems fairly straightforward to me: Istriya is replaced shortly before the beginning of current events in TDTCB. Xerius ruminates that she started bringing him "surrogates," in lieu of their coupling, and, despite playing at seeming rivals, Istriya and Skeaos both agree that Xerius' shouldn't betray the Holy War and yield the Cishaurim Shimeh (as the Consult's primary target is the Cishaurim initially in PON not knowing about Moenghus and the Dunyain at that point).

I agree. From all the clues we have there in the text, having her as a skin-spy for the past few years doesn't make much sense.
In TDTCB, both Xerius and Conphas also think how Istriya has been acting strange and not in accordance with the unspoken rules they have for dealing with each other for some time.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)