H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« on: April 29, 2019, 03:12:35 pm »
"To understand mind one must understand matter.
To understand matter one must understand space and time.
And to understand space and time one must understand mind."
 -Peter Sjöstedt-H

I like this.  Because I am sort of coming to this place where I sort of see everything as "relational."
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 06:55:35 pm »
"To understand mind one must understand matter.
To understand matter one must understand space and time.
And to understand space and time one must understand mind."
 -Peter Sjöstedt-H

I like this.  Because I am sort of coming to this place where I sort of see everything as "relational."

Like there are only relations and no relata, or that all fundamental things-in-themselves stand in relation to other fundamental things?

I suspect I'm missing what you mean by "relational"...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 07:11:50 pm »
Like there are only relations and no relata, or that all fundamental things-in-themselves stand in relation to other fundamental things?

Hmm, it's kind of just a "proto-thought" of mine, I think.

While I like Kant and there being a difference between phenomena and Noumena, but still, each only "exists" in the sense that they are not the other.  So, something is only a something in so far as it is not other things, so by difference, but at the same time, it needs to all be a part of a whole thing (for example the Universe in toto).  Again, this is a real "raw" thought here.

So, in the manner of the quote, is there mind absent matter?  No, it's something derived from matter.  Is there matter absent space/time?  No, matter is ensconed in and influences/is influenced by space/time.  And while space/time is a noumena to some degree, that is, it seems to have existed before we knew it did/actually did, but at the same time, as something experiential, it could only be relational to a thing to experience it.

So, I guess, as an example, if there is only a proton in the universe, is there space or time?  Even if it was "moving" what is it moving toward or away from?  What is it's speed then and how could it have one?  What then would space or time mean?

Again, I don't think I'm really prepared for a "full implications" of this though, but a thought I had none-the-less.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 12:36:52 am »

Hmm, it's kind of just a "proto-thought" of mine, I think.

While I like Kant and there being a difference between phenomena and Noumena, but still, each only "exists" in the sense that they are not the other.  So, something is only a something in so far as it is not other things, so by difference, but at the same time, it needs to all be a part of a whole thing (for example the Universe in toto).  Again, this is a real "raw" thought here.

So, in the manner of the quote, is there mind absent matter?  No, it's something derived from matter.  Is there matter absent space/time?  No, matter is ensconed in and influences/is influenced by space/time.  And while space/time is a noumena to some degree, that is, it seems to have existed before we knew it did/actually did, but at the same time, as something experiential, it could only be relational to a thing to experience it.

So, I guess, as an example, if there is only a proton in the universe, is there space or time?  Even if it was "moving" what is it moving toward or away from?  What is it's speed then and how could it have one?  What then would space or time mean?

Again, I don't think I'm really prepared for a "full implications" of this though, but a thought I had none-the-less.

Well I gotta disagree that Mind derives from Matter, but otherwise I "figga deal you" to quote from the timeless classic State Property 2.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 11:42:35 am »
Well I gotta disagree that Mind derives from Matter, but otherwise I "figga deal you" to quote from the timeless classic State Property 2.

Well, this is likely where the pansychist, or other theories lose me, most likely.  I'm not sure how we derive Mind outside Matter.  I guess it's sort of an Existential vs. Essential difference.  Seems like a "chicken or the egg" case, really.  Maybe it's the case that neither comes "before" the other though, they are just "relative" states.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 01:30:42 pm »

Well, this is likely where the pansychist, or other theories lose me, most likely.  I'm not sure how we derive Mind outside Matter.  I guess it's sort of an Existential vs. Essential difference.  Seems like a "chicken or the egg" case, really.  Maybe it's the case that neither comes "before" the other though, they are just "relative" states.

It's tricky - matter implies something that has no referent, an invisible world beyond consciousness we'll never access directly. Consciousness, OTOH, AFAIK has a "for-ness" in all its triune aspects - someone has raw feels, someone has thoughts about things, someone using Reason.

So it's hard to see Consciousness as fulfilling the role of substance, though Idealism does have the example of dreams to draw an (IMO) strong argument from.

OTOH matter (along with fields, energy, etc) has no referents, no qualia, no logical standard so it is hard to see how a brain made of matter can produce those triune aspects...yet every day we find new physical relations linking mind & brain...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 01:55:14 pm »
It's tricky - matter implies something that has no referent, an invisible world beyond consciousness we'll never access directly. Consciousness, OTOH, AFAIK has a "for-ness" in all its triune aspects - someone has raw feels, someone has thoughts about things, someone using Reason.

So it's hard to see Consciousness as fulfilling the role of substance, though Idealism does have the example of dreams to draw an (IMO) strong argument from.

OTOH matter (along with fields, energy, etc) has no referents, no qualia, no logical standard so it is hard to see how a brain made of matter can produce those triune aspects...yet every day we find new physical relations linking mind & brain...

Well, I definitely agree, neither Mind nor Matter fit as "Substance."  In the same way that Space nor Time (or Spacetime) does.  I mean, I don't know we've come very far since Leibnitz was trying to imagine would "Substance" would/could be.

But I don't think Mind can be detached from Matter, nor Matter from Mind.  They are sort of relationally bound, as I have a very hard time imagining the possible sense that Mind could exist absent matter.  Perhaps I am thinking about this all wrong, but it would seem to me that Space/Time ensconces Matter/Energy which ensconces Mind/Consciousness.  That in turn is the matter in which to render Space/Time intelligible.

Obviously this is not some genius-level shit and I am always looking to revise this view.  I do like Idealism, but I also see it has "issues" just as Materialism, or Physicalism has too.  Again, I default to a view that things are not as simple as we'd like them to be, things aren't necessarily binary.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 02:00:37 pm »

Well, I definitely agree, neither Mind nor Matter fit as "Substance."  In the same way that Space nor Time (or Spacetime) does.  I mean, I don't know we've come very far since Leibnitz was trying to imagine would "Substance" would/could be.

But I don't think Mind can be detached from Matter, nor Matter from Mind.  They are sort of relationally bound, as I have a very hard time imagining the possible sense that Mind could exist absent matter.  Perhaps I am thinking about this all wrong, but it would seem to me that Space/Time ensconces Matter/Energy which ensconces Mind/Consciousness.  That in turn is the matter in which to render Space/Time intelligible.

Obviously this is not some genius-level shit and I am always looking to revise this view.  I do like Idealism, but I also see it has "issues" just as Materialism, or Physicalism has too.  Again, I default to a view that things are not as simple as we'd like them to be, things aren't necessarily binary.

Yeah it is really hard for me to accept Idealism. I try to convince myself but the for-ness aspect of consciousness just makes it difficult to see it as a building block for the Real.

The Unus Mundus idea of Pauli and Jung, that there's some underlying unification between Matter & Mind, seems like the right track...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 02:54:22 pm »
Yeah it is really hard for me to accept Idealism. I try to convince myself but the for-ness aspect of consciousness just makes it difficult to see it as a building block for the Real.

The Unus Mundus idea of Pauli and Jung, that there's some underlying unification between Matter & Mind, seems like the right track...

I need to read up more on Deleuze and maybe his work on Bergonism as the "same sort" of idea, that all things are "parts" of the "same thing."  At least, maybe that is what he is saying, I'm not sure.

But I don't think Consciousness "informs" the Real, so much as it is just a part of it.  Like, the concept of Space/Time has no "meaning" without Matter and Mind (nothing is anywhere at any time, all things are the same thing, practically).  And Matter has no "meaning" without Space/Time and Mind (there isn't anything to be anywhere at any time and no way to think about any of that).  Mind has no meaning without Matter and Space/Time (what would we think "with" and where and when would we think it?).

Does this even make sense?  Not sure, just trying to "talk through it."

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 06:59:28 pm »

I need to read up more on Deleuze and maybe his work on Bergonism as the "same sort" of idea, that all things are "parts" of the "same thing."  At least, maybe that is what he is saying, I'm not sure.

But I don't think Consciousness "informs" the Real, so much as it is just a part of it.  Like, the concept of Space/Time has no "meaning" without Matter and Mind (nothing is anywhere at any time, all things are the same thing, practically).  And Matter has no "meaning" without Space/Time and Mind (there isn't anything to be anywhere at any time and no way to think about any of that).  Mind has no meaning without Matter and Space/Time (what would we think "with" and where and when would we think it?).

Does this even make sense?  Not sure, just trying to "talk through it."

If you're saying all these things are interdependent, and thus extant all at once (arguably for Eternity), I'd be inclined to agree with you. I have wondered about Descartes saying Mind is not extended - it's unclear to me why there cannot be phenomenal...stuff...that has spatial measurements.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 07:33:08 pm »
If you're saying all these things are interdependent, and thus extant all at once (arguably for Eternity), I'd be inclined to agree with you. I have wondered about Descartes saying Mind is not extended - it's unclear to me why there cannot be phenomenal...stuff...that has spatial measurements.

Sort, yeah, although it's unclear the "level" of dependence in each case, but that also depends on what we figure dependence is really.  I guess I am saying that none of them are specifically independent of the other.  Somehow the inversion there seems key (to me).  That is why I say, relational, because they are related to each other, even if Space/Time does not cause mind, nor Mind cause Space/Time, they are still things only in the sense of them being "parts" of a "relational whole."  Sort of like how a proton, a neutron and an electron are all particles, but atoms are "relations" of those things?

The extension part though, that I am not sure about.  Maybe we have to just consider the basic physics though?  Spacetime interval/"speed of causality"/conservation of energy, perhaps?  It's not clear, but neither is the question of what mind even is, let alone it's potential for expansion.  I mean, what keeps it in my "head" and not have it fall out onto my desk?  A silly example, but if mind is not some sort of function of matter, what makes it "local" at all?  I'm not clear on that.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 07:44:22 pm »

Sort, yeah, although it's unclear the "level" of dependence in each case, but that also depends on what we figure dependence is really.  I guess I am saying that none of them are specifically independent of the other.  Somehow the inversion there seems key (to me).  That is why I say, relational, because they are related to each other, even if Space/Time does not cause mind, nor Mind cause Space/Time, they are still things only in the sense of them being "parts" of a "relational whole."  Sort of like how a proton, a neutron and an electron are all particles, but atoms are "relations" of those things?

The extension part though, that I am not sure about.  Maybe we have to just consider the basic physics though?  Spacetime interval/"speed of causality"/conservation of energy, perhaps?  It's not clear, but neither is the question of what mind even is, let alone it's potential for expansion.  I mean, what keeps it in my "head" and not have it fall out onto my desk?  A silly example, but if mind is not some sort of function of matter, what makes it "local" at all?  I'm not clear on that.

But physics is measurements in consciousness, and is grounded in mathematics which [h]as an obvious mental quality?

I don't Mind & Matter are separate, though "Bottom Up" Panpsychism isn't the right way of looking at it IMO. I prefer to think the "stuff" of reality is "dual aspected" as in it's how you look at it that really makes it seem "mental" or "material".

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 08:03:09 pm »
But physics is measurements in consciousness, and is grounded in mathematics which [h]as an obvious mental quality?

I don't Mind & Matter are separate, though "Bottom Up" Panpsychism isn't the right way of looking at it IMO. I prefer to think the "stuff" of reality is "dual aspected" as in it's how you look at it that really makes it seem "mental" or "material".

I hope you don't mind, but I split this topic off, since we were kind of beyond the scope of the Quotes topic.

Hmm, I need to think about this more thoroughly, but could it be that "mind" (whatever that is) is a function of matter in a "particular" structure?  So, in a sense, a rock could have a mind, were it to have something that "worked" like our brain works?

So, it could be the case, that matter has this "dual nature" but it's more just a case of "structure?"  In the same way that any matter could be a black hole, except only "certain matter" is in the right structure to actually be a singularity?

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 09:56:21 pm »

I hope you don't mind, but I split this topic off, since we were kind of beyond the scope of the Quotes topic.

Hmm, I need to think about this more thoroughly, but could it be that "mind" (whatever that is) is a function of matter in a "particular" structure?  So, in a sense, a rock could have a mind, were it to have something that "worked" like our brain works?

So, it could be the case, that matter has this "dual nature" but it's more just a case of "structure?"  In the same way that any matter could be a black hole, except only "certain matter" is in the right structure to actually be a singularity?

Yeah, I'm a big fan of metaphysically neutral examination of structure. Of course the "Why" of the structure would be a mystery, but I think there is ultimately either an appeal to God-as-Ground or Natural-Regularities-as-Ground no matter what metaphysics one accepts...though only the former could be shown to philosophically necessary and only the latter have been suggested by deep examination of reality via science...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 12:11:59 pm »
Yeah, I'm a big fan of metaphysically neutral examination of structure. Of course the "Why" of the structure would be a mystery, but I think there is ultimately either an appeal to God-as-Ground or Natural-Regularities-as-Ground no matter what metaphysics one accepts...though only the former could be shown to philosophically necessary and only the latter have been suggested by deep examination of reality via science...

On "confounding" part might be, that "time" as the experiantial thing we generally refer to, is not what Time, as General Relativity informs us it seems to be.  The "trouble" is, of course, that we are not really made to think in terms of 4D non-Euclidean sapcetime, because, well, it's really at practical at all.  So, Time, as experienced, is actually a category of Mind.  "Proper time" is a whole different, confusing beast, and again, maybe shows us why that is not how our brain "works."

I think, I guess, maybe, that something balanced is the right way to go, but what is the "proper" balance between science and metaphysics?