• 85 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2016, 01:45:44 pm »
The more I think about it, the more I like the laser etching idea. I don't know if I can find someone to do little pewter figurines like I suggested in the previous post.

However, I think i should be able to find someone with a laser in my area. This creates a nice minimalistic cover using the designs I already painstakingly transcribed.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2016, 02:33:13 pm »
I should address your questions more directly, MisterGuyMan. See below.

So if this isn't an official thing what are we talking about?  We would have to supply our own books for binding I assume. 

Correct. This is not 'sanctioned' by Bakker or Overlook, ie they are not reprinting books or anything and I have not contacted them about this project. That said, it is perfectly legal. Bookbinders have been doing this for centuries.

Everyone would, again I'm assuming, have to have the same edition and print so they're the same size.  Could we reap the advantages of economies of scale if we bind different books in the series or does it have to be the same one?  Like say I want all six books bound and you wanted five, would that matter?
Economies of scale are only vaguely working in my favor at this point. The plan, currently, would be for me to personally rebind each book. I can only do so much, so I'd start with a set of, say, 5 TDTCB and move on from there. One issue is I don't have the means to support a large supply of excess materials, so I need to be careful not to buy to much leather and other materials. I would hopefully make 5 more/less identical copies of TDTCB and then see where things stood.

You would need to supply your own books, or in the very least, pay me for the base book that I am binding (ie. I might be able to find one, but you still have to pay for it). For these, I was thinking the large edition paperbacks would work really nicely. They are tall enough that I think an omnibus edition of PoN wouldn't look totally ridiculous, as well as cheaper and easier to find than the original hardcovers.

Also, keep in mind, we're talking about ~$100 per book, which is a best guess. I haven't purchased any materials or figured out how many hours it'll take to make these. If you want every book individually bound, you're getting close to $700 before tax and shipping and such.

Personally, I'm a "Less is More" guy.  So if there's a design I would I'd prefer something simplistic and relevant.  I can't think of one for TDTCB but something like a circumfix for The Warrior Prophet which, come to think of it, would look like a basic Xmen symbol.  Or just have that script the runs down the NA release on the cover.  I'd honestly like a simple "The Darkness That Comes Before:  Second Apocalypse Book I" on the cover.  Maybe translate that into Nonman or some Earwa language for flavor.

TLDR:  TAKE MY MONEY
If you haven't, go back to my original post in this thread and check out my hot foil stamps. Or just click here http://imgur.com/AfsqB5w. The original Rankine cover art for the first prints of each PoN book had a unique design. Unfortunately, Rankine did not do any more after that, so I have no clue what designs for AE would be good. That's way too far down the line though.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:52:07 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2016, 05:30:35 pm »
Alright guys. Since posting the potential for a book that costs closer to $100, there have been 6 of you who have shown interest:

Bolivar - Omnibus edition
Madness - Omnibus edition
MisterGuyMan - TDTCB
Nil Sertrax - TDTCB
Ciphrank - TDTCB
MSJ - TDTCB - though if you're still potentially interested in the $500 one, let me know

With that, I'll really start pursuing this more, though to make it work I'm going to need you guys to work with me. Yes, that means you need to PM or respond to this post :P .

For starters, what book do you want bound? Small edition paperback? Large edition paperbacks? Hardcovers? Do you really want to find/buy/send me a 1st/1st hardcover? What about the 1st/2nd that have the cheaper paper and printing press errors?

What color? The laser etching needs to stand out, so it can't be any dark colors. I can't guarantee anything, but, if you could choose, what color(s) would you prefer? I'm seeing some decent reds, browns, maybe yellow and light grey. What would be your preference?

If you are imagining to have a whole set, would you want all the covers to be the same color? Doing it that way will help control costs.

These are important things I need to know before I can start.

Also, omnibus, still a maybe. I'm not sure I can handle that, so I'll start with binding however many TDTCBs I can with 1 order of materials. I'm thinking that's somewhere between 2 and 6. Hopefully they turn out acceptable and you guys buy them from me. Otherwise, I'll just put them in the coffers and never make another ;).

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:34:08 pm by Wilshire »

Nil Sertrax

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2016, 06:14:30 pm »
Wilshire,

I trust your creative judgment.  Choose the edition that you think most appropriate and choose colors that you would like.  I'm not picky and I'll buy.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2016, 08:17:21 pm »
I think he's in "renewed vigour" mode ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2016, 10:32:55 pm »
Wilshire,

I trust your creative judgment.  Choose the edition that you think most appropriate and choose colors that you would like.  I'm not picky and I'll buy.

Noted. I'm assuming that's generally the case, but I figured I'd leave a period open for input.

I think he's in "renewed vigour" mode ;).

Yes, and I need a few more bits of information before I move forward from the binders and such, so while I wait I figured I'd open up the floor.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 11:56:39 pm by Wilshire »

JellybeansGalore

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2016, 06:12:14 am »
Wilshire, your book turned out great! I'm sorry for totally bailing on the thread when you first started the project. Using a woodburning pen is nice because it gives you a lot of flexibility, and makes each copy unique. The downside is that with dark leather, you don't get the nice contrast you do with light, but now I'm wondering if one could gild the burnt areas with foil in a similar fashion to illuminating a manuscript, and how durable the results would be. Hmm. I may have to experiment with that tomorrow.
Example of burnt-in design on light leather:

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2016, 12:52:44 pm »
Welcome back JBG!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2016, 08:33:50 pm »
Status update:

Dropped my book off a month ago to get hot-foil stamped because I wasn't going to have time to finish it. It was supposed to be done about a week ago, but I can't seem to get in contact with my binder... So AFAIK its lost to the abyss, or sitting on someone's floor being used to stabilize a table.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it sometime soon - though I fear that my order has been forgotten, and the slog will continue for a while yet.

JBG, that's exactly what I envisioned. Looks slick, only downside if you need lighter leather to contrast the image. Did you ever try to gild it?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:37:04 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2016, 04:43:30 pm »
Indeed, ill tidings from my binder. She bailed, decided that it would be too difficult to do the hot-foil stamping, which is a damn shame because I made the stamps to the exact specifications of her machine - so its likely that I'll have to make new stamps. D:<

I'm in contact with another binder at my new place, recommended highly by my previous binder. Unfortunately, she does not seem keen on the idea of finishing this project with me. I'm on the lookout for new paths now.

The finish line, as it looms near, moves ever farther away.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 01:07:59 pm »
Very sorry to hear, man :(.

Also, I like your new sig.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2016, 03:49:09 pm »
I hesitate to post since I'm going to guess that these plans will fall through, but I have an appointment with a book binder set for October 22 who will assess the possibility of completing my book. Should he deem his skill and equipment up to the task, it should be completed on the spot in a couple hours. - Scratch that. Actually, he said he'd just be evaluating. If he agrees, he'll get to it some other day.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:32:18 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 12:30:58 pm »
Excited to hear about a possible conclusion to this saga. Especially because it's going to look goddamn beautiful and it has obviously been such a labour of love.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 01:09:42 pm »
Well, it'll be expensive, but should be done sometime this week or next.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 05:28:42 pm »
Well, its done. Cost me a small fortune, but the binder just sent me pictures of the stamped leather.

Assuming he has no trouble putting the labels on the book, I should be able to pick it up on Saturday. Earlier if I get the time to go down there, but probably not.

Small preview below. I'll post the final result when I pick it up.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:15:00 pm by Wilshire »