Miscellaneous Chatter > General Misc.

What else are you into?

(1/14) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: bbaztek ---Over my relatively short stay here, I've come to appreciate how incisive a lot of you guys are, which is why I want to know what else tickles your fancy in the realms of entertainment and hobbies. Do you unwind after a hard jam session in the garage with some rape alien action? Does Drusas "enough-neuroses-to-choke-a-monk" Achiaman motivate you to hit the gym? What makes you guys tick?

I'm pretty nutso about Mad Men (see avatar) and Breaking Bad (see name = Breaking Bad Aztek), which are about as from TSA as you can imagine. Really beautiful, human stories about deeply unhappy men (and women) each desperately trying to capture a glint of happiness in their dead, humdrum worlds. Novels in visual form, I tell you.

I'm also a big David Foster Wallace fanboy. DFW was a very depressed writer who wrote about what it feels like to be human, how we interface with ourselves and reality, and how we deal with Loneliness. He offed himself a couple years back and the literary world is still reeling from the loss of such a brilliant mind. Would have loved to see his thoughts on TSA if it ever entered his awareness.

I also love dance/rap music, working out, cars, Buddhism, honking big subs, and smoking good ganja.

So what's up fellas? What are you into?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Wow.

Lol, Second Apocalypse personals ;).

I've lived an interesting life - most recently, I've tried to enact a cumulative daily regiment I've been fine-tuning for that past decade. I'm a poor student - HBA Psych/Philo. I like to maintain a musical practice. I'm trying to stick on eating healthy (soups, smoothies, & stir-fry) and body weight workouts. I meditate - not for any requisite spiritual dividend, though I welcome it - for the theoretically enhanced neuroplasticity. I maintain some moderate vices, including constant auditory satisfaction (music of any variety, excepting country) and the Lord's Leaf as Disciple says.

When I find the time, I dabble in Rosetta Stone ( French & Gaelic, atm) or try to learn Braille and ASL.

Reading books - SFF & Pop Science - has probably occupied most of my time, especially at the dinner table, since I was seven. I've enjoyed an unhealthy dose of television and movie fiction as well.

Cheers, bbaztek.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: geoint ---I don't think any person can list all the things they do to unwind.  But Ill try to list the big ones in my life lol. 

And I am aware that most fantasy fans are more liberal minded.  If any of what I say offends or bothers you, please just stop reading now. SPOILER ALERT:  MOST OF MY HOBBIES ARE NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT!!!

I am relatively new to the Second Amendment but since I came home from Afghanistan, I spend the vast majority of my free time reading up on weapons, issues, laws, licenses, regulations...etc.  I hope to someday soon be able to be part of the movement to get Texas to legalize Open carry (crossing my fingers that 2013 is our year).  I already have a concealed handgun license and I alternate between my Glock 26 and my Ruger LCP.  Shooting those is a HUGE blast. 

I own a Glock 26, Glock 21, Ruger LCP, Smith & Wesson 640, Mossberg 590A1, Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Remington 700 and a Colt LE 6940.  (Both the Glocks are Gen 4's) I LOVE all my guns.  They cost me a fortune but they are my only real vice and I spoil myself with them shamelessly.  I grew up in a pretty moderate home in Los Angeles and while I am stationed here in Fort Hood, I plan to do my best to get guns where it is legal for a responsible and trained individual.  I shoot often.  Not as much as I want cuz Im trying to save ammo in case of some future ammo tax.  Shooting is my biggest hobby right now.  By far. 

Besides firearms, I am a huge dog lover.  My Black Lab is 7 months old and I love her like crazy.  Shes still clumsy and foolish but she always lifts my spirits after my 12 hour shifts.  I dont as much as I used to but I still love working out.  Sadly the Army doesn't foster a "tough soldier" mentality beyond lip service though and its hard to find motivation to kick my butt after a 12 hour shift like I used to.  I usually watch TV if my wife is home and if she isn't I just read gun stuff. 

Unless I have church activities or service to participate in.  I am a Mormon and I love reading about my religion.  And I love reading about other religions.  There is just something fascinating about belief systems and cultures.  I know what I believe and where I stand but I am always eager to hear other people's perspectives and views.  (I'm not the type of Mormon who tries to convert everybody I just like being left to do my own thing.  I married a Baptist lol). 

Oh and I saw the OP Mentioned Breaking Bad and Mad Men.  Im a diehard fan of both, though Breaking Bad is my favorite by far.  I absolutely love Walt and I support him no matter what cuz he makes that show great.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: coobek ---Hmm

I am trained Economist and like reading up on Economic Theory and History of Economic Thought and everything about the crisis and how the world is fucked up right now from this perspective. Don't get me started on banksters.

I love soccer and am Wisla Krakow fan, although they play crap recently. I played in amateur league till my son was born and now practice every week.

I am THE cook in our house and without doubt I really CAN cook from wide spectrum of cusines although I prefer Italian, French and Indian.

I enjoy a good beer much too often.

I trained fencing as a young-pro for 5 years.

I played RPG and Warhammer tabletop games in highschool with a lot of success. Now I am left with being a fan of family tabletop games.

I love fishing and sailing if time allows. In summer I got my sailing license so when I'll have 200hrs on my back I'll be able to roam the high seas alone. Watch out.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: bbaztek ---I'm enjoying reading your responses way more than I thought I would. What a diverse range of fans Bakker has. keep 'em coming
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version