[TUC Spoilers] Nascenti of Zaudunyanicon

• 163 Replies

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2017, 09:51:02 pm »
    Bakker actually said the other reason he wants to make Crabiqiad the first book is how much it will piss off people who are waiting for a follow-up to the ending of TUC.

Possibly the most Bakker thing ever, though I do agree that putting his tale at the end of the series if he plays no crucial role in the resolution of the Second Apocalypse would render it an afterthought. Perhaps an "interquel" within the series, so as not to give the finger to fans who've slogged this far?
Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »
It seems that "The Crabiqiad" would send our mighty hero Crabby far away of the theatre of the rest of events. Maybe Crabby is going to Zeüm, curse Likaro.
If not, why don't put Crabby and the rest together as in TAE series? why separate them at all?
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2017, 01:10:33 am »
It seems that "The Crabiqiad" would send our mighty hero Crabby far away of the theatre of the rest of events. Maybe Crabby is going to Zeüm, curse Likaro.
If not, why don't put Crabby and the rest together as in TAE series? why separate them at all?

As Zeum will have an important role to play, and Crabicus will apparently not, this seems contradictory.

More likely to my mind he bolts toward Eanna, which got a RAFO but no firm statement of importance to the next series. It would also be the most logical direction if one wished to fuck off and avoid the whole Apocalypse travail, which seems to be Crabby's basic take on strategy at this point.

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2017, 07:10:05 am »
Any hint if "The Crabiqiad" (lol) will be all devoted to Crabby or will have a glimpse at least of what happened to the others?

My understanding is that it's just Crabby. In fact, Bakker actually said the other reason he wants to make Crabiqiad the first book is how much it will piss off people who are waiting for a follow-up to the ending of TUC.

As much as I trust Bakker's ability to write an interesting tale, I just don't find Crabicus interesting. I hope he doesn't go so OTT-Bakkerish in his impishness that he writes a disconnected story that holds no significance to the wider story, or his series will suffer as a result of it. Pissing people off is fine (even me :P), but I hope he doesn't do the series a disservice.
You are the fist that beats us.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2017, 07:18:15 am »
I agree, if Crabicus story is totally unrelated with the second apocalypse it's less interesting to me.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2017, 04:04:43 pm »

Thank, pail :).

What I understood from Bakker was slightly different: Not that he wanted the section removed, but that the publisher wanted a "lighter" book so he consented to having the italic section and the afterword removed in order for them to buy it.

Thanks for posting this, pail.

Any hint if "The Crabiqiad" (lol) will be all devoted to Crabby or will have a glimpse at least of what happened to the others?

My understanding is that it's just Crabby. In fact, Bakker actually said the other reason he wants to make Crabiqiad the first book is how much it will piss off people who are waiting for a follow-up to the ending of TUC.

As much as I trust Bakker's ability to write an interesting tale, I just don't find Crabicus interesting. I hope he doesn't go so OTT-Bakkerish in his impishness that he writes a disconnected story that holds no significance to the wider story, or his series will suffer as a result of it. Pissing people off is fine (even me :P), but I hope he doesn't do the series a disservice.

I suppose I can hint the Crabiqiad does include a number of other established loose ends. Classic Bakker promotion. The story is much less disconnected from events as he seems to think and other narrative strands might not be as limited in scope or word count as he made seem.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

codebread

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2017, 04:28:03 pm »
That's good to hear, Madness.

I'm very interested in the Kellhus / Ajokli revelation. It's nice to have it confirmed that the Circumfixion was the root of Kellhus' madness and undoing. Was anything else revealed about the nature of the Kellhus / Ajokli relationship?

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2017, 04:34:04 pm »

Thank, pail :).

What I understood from Bakker was slightly different: Not that he wanted the section removed, but that the publisher wanted a "lighter" book so he consented to having the italic section and the afterword removed in order for them to buy it.

Thanks for posting this, pail.

I suppose I can hint the Crabiqiad does include a number of other established loose ends. Classic Bakker promotion. The story is much less disconnected from events as he seems to think and other narrative strands might not be as limited in scope or word count as he made seem.

Excellent.

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2017, 02:17:35 am »
The one thing that kind of concerns me is the length of the story, if the entirety of the second apocalypse can contained within one book than that is disappointing. The second apocalypse is the true story we have been waiting on this entire time, the story literally starts with the first apocalypse and the remnants of the Kuniuri in Ishual. The first apocalypse took over a decade to run its course, earlier Bakker was talking about how the story mirror each other and so I was hoping the second apocalypse would be as long as the first. I was thinking that the No-God series should be as long as the other two series combined, the PON is the story of the Holy War, the AE is the story of the Great Ordeal, both of these conflicts were little more than a year long. So is was thinking the No-God would be more books than each of the preceding series.
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2017, 10:03:40 am »
While I'm not particularly bothered about it in the way you are, I think on the AMA Bakker said something about it being 2,3 or more books. So he hasn't actually devoted yet and you may get your wish!

I think it'll probably come down to whether a publisher wants to pay him to do it.
You are the fist that beats us.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2017, 12:59:50 pm »
I think the uncertainty on his part arises from stylistic choices he has yet to make.

I think if money wasn't an object - even in part - that he knows how he wants to write TNG. But some sort of compromise is necessary should he desire economic success.

It actually surprises me that he is as daunted as he seems by the story going forward, especially given some juicier parts of Friday/Saturday (at least regarding what I was fixating on as salient). I think he's got a perfectly good tale - like PON/TAE respectively - that he can chop into an interwoven story.

The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2017, 01:09:46 pm »
Oh - and another thing.

I made a "I've watched too many shitty horror b-movies" comment in TUC subforum regarding the violence in TUC not bothering me, like at all (which is awful because Bakker put me on "obscenity patrol" - though as mentioned in-thread, the Ordeal Bacchanal chapters were cut down considerably on the recommendations of a long-time beta reader (not me, I'm new)).

Bakker mentioned on Friday night that his wife and him love watching horror b-movies and I died when he was talking about the one where the guy wants to/is forced to eat another guy's dick...
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2017, 09:19:44 pm »
Ajokli had no relationship with Kellhus prior to the Circumfixion. It was at the Circumfixion that Kellhus's mind was broken down close enough to madness that the Outside was able to slip in. Unless the timelessness of the Gods allows Ajokli's influence to extend back in time, this implies Kellhus's haloes are NOT related to Ajokli![/li][/list]
Did Bakker himself imply this or is this how you interpret it? Interesting nonetheless. I always assumed it was something produced by the divine agency puppeteering him. What could it then be?

The No-God series will contain 1-2 books which follow up on what happens in the Three Seas following the resurrection of the No-God. The other book will be the story of Crabicus (obviously, this book will be known as The Crabiqiad). This will most likely be the first book in the No-God. He wasn't sure about the order, but he was leaning this way because if he finished the story of the Three Seas first, it would make the story of Crabicus feel like an extra tale tacked on to the end of a complete series. These details made it sound, to me, like Crabicus will not have a major role in the fate of the world, which will play out in the other one or two books.

The one thing that kind of concerns me is the length of the story, if the entirety of the second apocalypse can contained within one book than that is disappointing. The second apocalypse is the true story we have been waiting on this entire time, the story literally starts with the first apocalypse and the remnants of the Kuniuri in Ishual. The first apocalypse took over a decade to run its course, earlier Bakker was talking about how the story mirror each other and so I was hoping the second apocalypse would be as long as the first. I was thinking that the No-God series should be as long as the other two series combined, the PON is the story of the Holy War, the AE is the story of the Great Ordeal, both of these conflicts were little more than a year long. So is was thinking the No-God would be more books than each of the preceding series.
So if the stories are mirrors of each other, maybe Crabicus will encounter some kind of sect in the middle of the Apocalypse as his young forefather did all those years ago...

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2017, 12:27:37 am »
    Ajokli had no relationship with Kellhus prior to the Circumfixion. It was at the Circumfixion that Kellhus's mind was broken down close enough to madness that the Outside was able to slip in. Unless the timelessness of the Gods allows Ajokli's influence to extend back in time, this implies Kellhus's haloes are NOT related to Ajokli![/li][/list]
    Did Bakker himself imply this or is this how you interpret it? Interesting nonetheless. I always assumed it was something produced by the divine agency puppeteering him. What could it then be?

The No-God series will contain 1-2 books which follow up on what happens in the Three Seas following the resurrection of the No-God. The other book will be the story of Crabicus (obviously, this book will be known as The Crabiqiad). This will most likely be the first book in the No-God. He wasn't sure about the order, but he was leaning this way because if he finished the story of the Three Seas first, it would make the story of Crabicus feel like an extra tale tacked on to the end of a complete series. These details made it sound, to me, like Crabicus will not have a major role in the fate of the world, which will play out in the other one or two books.

So if the stories are mirrors of each other, maybe Crabicus will encounter some kind of sect in the middle of the Apocalypse as his young forefather did all those years ago...

I LOVE this!
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:45:53 am by Redeagl »
    “The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: August 21, 2017, 05:47:23 am »

"As long as men live, there are crimes!"
    "No, child," the severed head spoke with wonder, salted Emperor falling from its lips. "Only so long as men serve Likaro."