[TGO Spoilers] Embarrassing Question

• 7 Replies

Truth Shines

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:55:17 am »
OK, so Kellhus survived, right?  Or have I just completely messed up reading that part?

That whole italicized section right after Kellhus sees Esmenet -- what was it?  It seems to describe a chorae being thrown at Kellhus and got a glancing hit -- by whom?  Esmenet?  Then it seems to describe his death after being killed by a knife thrown by the Narindar.  I would have called the whole section one outcome of the probability trance, except the writing seems to betray no sense that this is from Kellhus' perspective.

Then later we switch to regular font, so I guess this is "for real."  Now there's no chorae.  No thrown knife either.  In fact, the text says "The Narindar shook his head, stared down aghast at his hands.  His ears wept blood."  Does this mean he couldn't even find a knife to throw?  And what does it mean to say "his ears wept blood?"  Finally, the text says Kellhus "striding out toward the Circumfix Throne," then a huge stone fell, "crashing upon the very spot where Father had stood."  "Had stood," past perfect tense, instead of just "stood," which means our most holy Aspect-Emperor has not been reduced to tomato paste, right?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:02:07 am by Truth Shines »

Borric

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 09:02:21 am »
Both are being described.

One is of the vision of the future where he dies (that does not come true)
The other is of reality where he survives.

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 02:01:31 pm »
This is how I read the passage:
The way the Narindar executes Thelliopa, is by knowing it has already happened (refer to the passageof her death).
He attempts the same with Kellhus, but this fails either because Kellhus's probability trance forsees and acknowledges the possibility as the most likely fork, or because of Kelmomas's (warning?) scream... or both.

But in the end Kellhus lives.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 11:42:15 pm »
the italicized section is the way it would happen because in his head at least, it had already happened, but there is something about kelmomas that makes him invisible to the narindars future, and when he sees something he didn't predict, he loses it. kelmomas thinks "he's just a human" as a rock crushes him.

as far as the ears bleeding, theres a reference to him marking his face and ears with menstrual blood as some kind of yatwerian ritual; but i think his brain popped because something happened that he didn't foresee. His ears "weeping" blood is a lot different than saying his ears were marked with blood.
Odaini Concussion Cant first, ask questions later...

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 12:42:57 am »
the italicized section is the way it would happen because in his head at least, it had already happened, but there is something about kelmomas that makes him invisible to the narindars future, and when he sees something he didn't predict, he loses it. kelmomas thinks "he's just a human" as a rock crushes him.

as far as the ears bleeding, theres a reference to him marking his face and ears with menstrual blood as some kind of yatwerian ritual; but i think his brain popped because something happened that he didn't foresee. His ears "weeping" blood is a lot different than saying his ears were marked with blood.

Ajokli is why the Narindar cannot account for Kelmommas.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Truth Shines

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 03:39:55 am »
Now that I read it again, it does seem it's Kelmomas' presence that shocks the assassin.  Yet the how and why escape me. 

Why is Ajokli the reason the Narindar can't see Kelmomas?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 03:51:21 am »
Now that I read it again, it does seem it's Kelmomas' presence that shocks the assassin.  Yet the how and why escape me. 

Why is Ajokli the reason the Narindar can't see Kelmomas?

Kelmommas is a Narinder of Ajokli. Remember the offering to Ajokli of the beetle in the JE? More is explained in TGO by the librarian. Kelmommas just doesn't realize it's about him. He thinks the WLW is a vessel of Ajokli not Yatwer. Kelmommas is the vessel of Ajokli.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 12:51:42 pm »
That is to say, Ajokli is guess that fits the evidence.